• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

electric or nitro

ross121

Yes would agree. Electric is best for Drifting. Dont need a powerful Nitro engine for drifting. You can drift well on a good Stock 27 turn electric motor. Instant puch required for tight drifts is always there with electric.

• 1 month later...
with drifting defently electric. nitro's can overhead quickly and tend to have to much top end power instead of bottom end torque needed.

SO you just use a big engine? :P

and use a reversed alloy clutch?

Edited by midi-mania

If your starting out then go electric, you'll be shredding PVC before you know itgood.gif

I've drifted nitro and I know quite a few others that have done the same, a good driver can drift anything, even petrol 1/5 cars can be drifted if you do it right, Baja's going sideways look nuts, as do 1/8 hypers etc.

When my Rush decides to work properlylaugh.gif stick bald rear tires on it, rear wheel drive and a T15 engine and guess what it drifts just fine!!

Plenty of RS4's and TS4n's etc get drifted so to say nitro and petrol etc is no good for drifting is wrong, if you put slippy tires on a shopping trolley it'll bloody well driftlaugh.gif

Still not burnt a clutch out by the waywhistling.gif

Edited by Dirty Electro

i can drift my eb4 as the fwd has been took out so i just have rwd, on half throttle to full the back end just kicks out and is so much fun lol.

Gav

Thats not drifting, its a donut. Drifting is more of a controlled slide - you need to be moving forward

Just took my nitro Alpha GP3 out, sideways round a corner on full revs, 4 wheel drift on full lock....no problem and with naturally made smokegood.gif

Big fun and Big grin.

I've got electric drift cars and even though i'm no drift king (except with the sushi's ontongue.gif ) the power of nitro means awsome 4 wheel drifts if you do it right, no doughnuts, leave that for the truggy's etc

I think with nitros it means you can drift at a higher speed. And you dont need plastic wheels to do it XD

But with electric its much easier - the motors can cope with spinning at max revs all the time (i can imagine if you are constantly on WOT with a nitro its gonna go bang), and you can swap motors to suit your style with electric (i.e. more or less turns)

I think with nitros it means you can drift at a higher speed. And you dont need plastic wheels to do it XD

It's definately high speed, and using plastic wheels on one is pretty close to bonkersbiggrin.gif

Electrics are easier to drift though and your right about motor choice etcgood.gif

tt-01 it is then :lol:

thats the same as me as i had been looking at the nitro side but thought the electric side would be easyer to control and will be able to drift @ a lot lower speed meaning you dont need such a big of an area

thats the same as me as i had been looking at the nitro side but thought the electric side would be easyer to control and will be able to drift @ a lot lower speed meaning you dont need such a big of an area

If you want the drifting side of things get a TT-01D The D does indeed stand for drift! Its the tt01 chassis with a few mods for drifting!

Take a look and see but indeed it will be easier with electric to drift! plus if u cash it dont cost so much!

The TT01E is just an advanced/updated version of the TT01. The "E" stands for enhanced and basically Tamiya looked at the bad bits of the standard TT01 and made it better. The changed parts are:

upper suspension mounts now have 2 mounting holes and are seperate from the gearbox. Front and rear

gearbox casing made from glass reinforced plastic. Front and rear

Front knuckle joints re-designed and stronger

Steering linkage designed from TA series and so has much less slop and stronger

Glass reinforced plastic battery bar.

Theres a couple of other bits but these are the main differences, TT01E's drive better and are stronger than standard ones. They make a good cheap racer at entry club level, stick a 19T peak Dynasty or Orion Element V2 in it, descent ESC, ball race it and aluminium propshaft and enjoy some cheap easy to fix racinggood.gif

I've mixed the parts from a TT01/TT01D/TT01E and its a great little chassis, does all things really well but will never be a national levell race carlaugh.gif

HPI and others make dedicated nitro drift cars by the way, thay wouldn't do that if there was no market, Electric is the easy and cheaper way to drift, but you cant beat a nitro powered full lock drift, its just that bit more satisfying and the noise is fantasticbiggrin.gif

• 2 months later...

I bought an HPI RS4 RTR3 nitro drifter. It was a pain. Overheating, messy, only ran for 7 minutes on a tankfull, used up the tires in no time. So I converted it to electric, and have not looked back. Much easier to drive, plus I can run it indoors.....

• 2 weeks later...