• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Tropy 3.5 or Schumacher Riot

Gtiracer

Ok so two slightly different sorts of car here but these are the two i have decided with. Good well known makes, now the deciding factor will be based on:

Strength and durability of stock parts

Availability/Expense of spare parts

Which chassis is tougher for jumps (im guessing the Riot but correct me if wrong please)

If the above is true then how durable is the trophy over jumps? (Does anyone have one or a link to a decent review of either model somewhere please?)

Thankyou please

well the trophy isnt out yet or if it is it hasnt been out long

but it is basicaly a lightning 2 which are very good buggys, they are very strong and more suited to bashing than racing

the lightning spares are everywhere but i expect HPI will start selling them aswell

well the trophy isnt out yet or if it is it hasnt been out long

but it is basicaly a lightning 2 which are very good buggys, they are very strong and more suited to bashing than racing

the lightning spares are everywhere but i expect HPI will start selling them aswell

Trophy is for sale on modelsport website so i hope its out.

Also another to add to the Mix

the Kyosho DST/DBX readysets sorry, more confusion

Trophy is for sale on modelsport website so i hope its out.

Also another to add to the Mix

the Kyosho DST/DBX readysets sorry, more confusion

The DBX and DST are both the same really.

I have the DST, I find it quite strong and pretty quick. The accelaration is not spot on but the top speed is good :)

Be aware that after about 1.5 gallons my engine has started to leak. This could be just my bad luck though :closedeyes:

Ben

The Trophy is the Lightning 2 Sport thats just been rebadged because the D8 has taken over its place in the Hot Bodies stable,its a proven buggy and the bodyshell design is one of the nicest out there,it always has been,the new wheels on the Trophy look great too.The parts from the Lightning buggys will fit as they are the same and still selling under HB but HPI will put there name on the packets just to be professional,not hard really when Hot Bodies is HPI.Should be easy to hop up to pro spec aswell...

The Riot is basically a 1/10 Rascal,its the least popular Shumacher model for some reason,its only 2wd and will take a bit of stick,the speed is good and spares availability is second to none,Shumacher are a very professional company and there models are top notch,I especially like the Havoc and the Menace but i've not owned any,the only Shuimacher models i've had are the Rascal and the old Cat years ago.... ;)

The Trophy is the Lightning 2 Sport thats just been rebadged because the D8 has taken over its place in the Hot Bodies stable,its a proven buggy and the bodyshell design is one of the nicest out there,it always has been,the new wheels on the Trophy look great too.The parts from the Lightning buggys will fit as they are the same and still selling under HB but HPI will put there name on the packets just to be professional,not hard really when Hot Bodies is HPI.Should be easy to hop up to pro spec aswell...

The Riot is basically a 1/10 Rascal,its the least popular Shumacher model for some reason,its only 2wd and will take a bit of stick,the speed is good and spares availability is second to none,Shumacher are a very professional company and there models are top notch,I especially like the Havoc and the Menace but i've not owned any,the only Shuimacher models i've had are the Rascal and the old Cat years ago.... ;)

thanks, very useful Reply, Im a bit wary of going 2wd just because of the difference compared to 4wd, is it worth being worried about for a pretty fast car, or is 2wd more fun? I know it is in road cars anyway, but is it FWD or RWD (assuming RWD)

4wd is a lot more forgiving and easier to control than 2WD,having said that,I too have a Baja and once 2WD is mastered it's a lot more satisfying once you learn how to pwerslide and drift the back end and such.Bth formats share different qualities,around a track a 4WD car will wipe the floor with 2WD but a 2WD car has less weight and less things to go wrong with the drivetrain.All 2WD cars are rear wheel drive..... ;)

I was looking at the trophy - comes from a soild company , very new tho so not reli been properly reviewed i can imagine , but yer easy to hop up and looks lush !!!

Its a new name but the buggys exactly the same as the Hot bodies Lightning 2 Sport,no different... ;)

yh true just giving the guy another opinion (not having a go at you )

cheers !!!

Yeah,but your opinion says its not tested when its probably the most tested buggy out there in the guise of the Lightning 2,however I get what you mean... :)

I agree with Stumungous,the Havoc is one of the best models that Shumacher do and its tough as nails and pretty fast aswell... ;)

I would go with the trophy as like everyone says it is a lightning 2 sport.I have an hpi k4.6ho with 18th clutch bell and jp-3 pipe in my lightning and it flys :good: .I have a schumacher havoc and i must have got a dud one.Everytime i use it it breaks and thats with just running in fields.The shock shafts snap at every oppotunity and last time i had it out the gears melted through the gearbox from the inside :( .I have given up on it now.

It may help you, so my opinion of the Trophy, which as has been said is a L2Sport re-badged.

My first, and now my only 8th buggy, my son has one too. Had four between us. Back in the day, almost 3 years ago, loads of us had them.

Around a dozen cars here at this bash, four are L2,s.

IMGP0442.jpg

They were quite popular, but as Sammy said mostly as a basher. (although I did win a race with one once!)

Looking at the Trophy, a few things spring to mind that also needed a little attention on the L2, the parts are exactly the same.

The cast steering arms crack easily, buy the `pro` ones. A whopping

• Like 1

It may help you, so my opinion of the Trophy, which as has been said is a L2Sport re-badged.

My first, and now my only 8th buggy, my son has one too. Had four between us. Back in the day, almost 3 years ago, loads of us had them.

Around a dozen cars here at this bash, four are L2,s.

They were quite popular, but as Sammy said mostly as a basher. (although I did win a race with one once!)

Looking at the Trophy, a few things spring to mind that also needed a little attention on the L2, the parts are exactly the same.

The cast steering arms crack easily, buy the `pro` ones. A whopping

• Like 1