• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wired Network VS Wireless

Ziggy122

Would u rather have Wireless or Wired?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your prefrence

• Wired
    • Wireless

im sick of wireless - SOOOO unreliable....

My signal is weak and bobs up and down tooooo easily

So what would you rather have

Wired or wireless??

Ziggy

im sick of wireless - SOOOO unreliable....

My signal is weak and bobs up and down tooooo easily

So what would you rather have

Wired or wireless??

Ziggy

Wired is always going to be more stable and faster, its just that sometimes its easier to go wireless and less messing about !

Wired i can have a full 100mbps where as wireless its max of 54mbps

I've ended running cables across the house to just have a stable connection!

Not good!

Ziggy

I recently switched from wired to wireless using a Netgear router and it's been great for me. I've got a laptop with integrated wireless card and an Xbox 360 also on wireless so it's much easier than using wired and being tied down to one location. Full signal all over the house and it's never once dropped the connection. I wouldn't go back to wired now :)

wired isnt perfect for a good connection either though becacuse theres a certain lenth and if the cable is longer than that it loses power just getting the data to the other end + wireless is sooooo simple

wored all the way, in my new house on the wireless the internet was slow and anyone who's read my cod4 thread will know trying to play games was a nightmare. with a wired connection its much faster without the need to encrypt stuff. it was much easier to setup, plug it in and off it went no settings to go through on pc or ps3 they both did it all automatically, its brilliant

I use wired on my two PC's and web server as they are right next to teh router. For the other PC and two laptops I use wireless.

Never had any problems on wireless, very reliable.

You may find that you need to place the router in a better location or use another as a repeater to get all over the premises.

Wired has a maximum length of 100M so most home users won't have any problems. Then you just ned to put a router or switch inbetween.

Langy

Im running off a 3m cable atm

But yeah we had cables running around the house - and it was just soo much more responsive

No coding problem

if the light weren't on the there was a cable out - simple to tell

If all cables were on - then it was easy to sort -reset and off u go again! :)

Ziggy

There no doubt that cable is better. Its just not practical for everyone to run 50M cable around their house from downstairs to upstairs etc.

But wireless has brought along that ability to just connect up where you are.

I often have the laptop in the car and stop near houses and connect to a wireless connection.

I can sit in the garden with the laptop and be on the internet without having to drag cables outside.

I also forgot to mention that the Wii is also connected on the wireless.

Langy

i use heavy cad files at work so wireless wasnt an option between buildings.. so i got fibre optic installed.

Over buildings its understandable

School i used to go to had copper internally but a Optical cable running above head to the servers

Optical vs Cooper....

Nah copper - much cheaper for home :)

Ziggy

I use both.. a few years back I wired in my desktop with cat5 cable. But my laptop and PS3 use wireless, which works fine.

It depends what you want to use it for really. I wanted ethernet on my desktop because a lot of files are shared from several computers.

i prefered wired why:

cos its has such a HUGE bandwidth

cos its SOOOOO much faster

cos its SOOOOO relibile

cos its SOOOOO stable

cos its SOOOOO much safer and almost hack free

cos its SOOOOO preety coloured cables you can have

cos its SOOOOO kool

i dont like wireless why:

cos its SOOOOO unrelible

cos its SOOOOO slow

cos its SOOOOO fiddily

cos its SOOOOO anoying to setup cods and passwords

cos its SOOOOO much interferance

cos its SOOOOO unsafe and people hack your computer from end of your driveway or next doors

cos its SOOOOO ugly looking boxes

cos its SOOOOO bulky even if you dont have wireless on your comp and use a USB instead and thats MASSIVE and looks like your laptop has a winky

cos its SOOOOO boring no colourful wires to see.

Wireless all the time for me,never have a problem with my router and only ever lost connection once,I did have a Linksys WRT55 but got a free one off Virgin Media when they started to do it as I was one of the trial customers and so got a Netgear Cable router and 100 metre dongle,I use it for both the laptop and desktop PC and the signal is full all round the house and drops to 3 bars in the back or on the front....

neither for me...

i just plug an adapter in anywere in the house and have instant tinternet, my dad gets all bt stuff free becuase he works for them, we have service pack3 + bt vision, you get these 2 adapters (4 in our case) and you plug one in were the router is, the internet is then sent through the houses electrical circuit so you just plug the other adapter in and hey presto!, is a bit slow at times though, would never have wireless though becuase of how slow it is and the fact that if you dont have a password on it your neighboughs can use it :o

neither for me...

i just plug an adapter in anywere in the house and have instant tinternet, my dad gets all bt stuff free becuase he works for them, we have service pack3 + bt vision, you get these 2 adapters (4 in our case) and you plug one in were the router is, the internet is then sent through the houses electrical circuit so you just plug the other adapter in and hey presto!, is a bit slow at times though, would never have wireless though becuase of how slow it is and the fact that if you dont have a password on it your neighboughs can use it :o

the mains networking is classed as wired. as your still using wires and cables.

How wireless is classed as slow is beyond me,I get 1.4mbps download speeds and average 900kpbs,thats well fast enough for what I do,i'm on 10meg with Virgin Media and that will go up to 20meg when they release their 50meg package and it'll be free.I started out with 512k when it was Blue Yonder,they'd oly been active for 3 months and I moved upto 1 meg then 2 meg then back to 1 meg,since then,every step up,2,4 and 10meg has been done for free....

yes good point as you say dont need fast speeds due to the internet is slower but i prefer fast speeds so it can handle larger bandwidth data packets for data transfer from computer to computer. :)

I really don't know how people are bitching about the wireless networks being slow, 54Mbps is still a good 50Mbps faster than 90% of all the internet connections about. If you want faster 802.11G wireless get a MIMO router and card. These use two channels that get you up to 108Mbps which will be faster than most routers can do wired unless it's got Gigabit Ethernet,

Personally I have Wireless, I notice no lag on speeds even with 5 Computers all on and two Apple TV's. I am however using Apples Time Capsule which is 802.11n

I have my Xbox in through the Ethernet Cable though as I didn't wanna waste