• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engines and water!

Richie22

who said that water damages ya engine? took car out yesterday and ma bro drove his into a deep puddle and guess what? it fires up and works!

It may work, but if the water got into your carb and then into the engine, there could be grit or dirt scratching the piston.

if you run a engine in damp condtions it will get a little more bhp - water vapour gets into the engine and doesnt compress, it increase the compression in the engine and small more power, not alot and tinyest bit of water, water isnt always bad just most of the time

Water+metal = Rust

Idealy you should of got that engine out - striped it and sloshed it in WD40 and ARO

Clean the filter

Put the carb in a sonic cleaner

And rebuild it

If the water was mucky - the filter MAY have saved you

Technically the engines can run underwater - but will have heat issues and u'd need a BIG snorkel :P

Ziggy

It may work, but if the water got into your carb and then into the engine, there could be grit or dirt scratching the piston.

if the air filter can filter grit from air it can certainly do it in water. its the water itself is the problem

• 2 weeks later...

landrovers go completly under water, ther combustion engines too and they dont have to be striped down afterwards as long as no water goes down the snorkal

Exactly, if your air filter gets wet enough you WILL get water in the engine. This can cause internal rust if not treated. Going through the odd puddle ain't gonna kill you, but I wouldn't want to get much water in the engine. Hence why you can buy air filters with a plastic shield to prevent water getting in to them in damp conditions. That should tell you it's a bad idea to get water in the engine.

Exactly, if your air filter gets wet enough you WILL get water in the engine. This can cause internal rust if not treated. Going through the odd puddle ain't gonna kill you, but I wouldn't want to get much water in the engine. Hence why you can buy air filters with a plastic shield to prevent water getting in to them in damp conditions. That should tell you it's a bad idea to get water in the engine.

Im now realy going to throw the cat amongest the pigions One of my Dads hobbies is tethered hyrdos and pritty much every time they finish there run or they go in, the engines fill up with water. They dont use filters at all and they never have and problems with rust or bearing going. Its all about the way you look after ur engine once they get there boats back to the bank there the engines cleaned out with wd40 or the like then they flush that out with fresh fuel and go again.

lol sorry but this is one of the funniest threads i've read. Wait till a decent size of water goes in the carb and in the engine, what do you think will happen when the piston returns to TDC and tries compressing the water with the water having no where to go?

Driving through puddles i always done with off road cars, 80% if you have the shell on only a bit of spray gets inside the shell, but if you go in deep and sub merge the car then its going to cut out and theres a chance you could of damaged the engine

Dont get me wrong ive seen lots of engines go bang bent conrods evend1 go through a crank case but these are only once in a blue moon things that happen most of the time they are totals fine and carry on racing ive seen more coplings and tail shafts brake than engines go bang cos of water

high humidity is good, but liquid water is bad!

there is a peak point in there

Too little or way TOOO much can be a performance hamperer

And i'll tell u my little story about a hot engine and a BIG puddle!! :)

ZIGGY STORY TIME!!

One day ziggy was out thrashing his Rush Evo with a OS .18 Engine in it

Where ziggy was - had rained previously so it was wet and puddle like

Ziggy decided to drive his car through the puddle, didnt realise how deep it was

Ziggy's car was heavily submerged - but the carb did remain above water

The water around the engine bubbled heavily - and the engine struggled then died

Ziggy never got that engine running, the hot to very quickly cold factor had hyper-contracted the metal = Cheesing the bearing up = Binnable engine except for the warrenty!

So do take care with puddles - it can cause not only internal damage but possible long term damage

Small shallow ones aint probably gonna hurt - it'd evaporate off pretty quickly

Ziggy

water and engine dont mix lol, my car flipped on a jump (i wasnt paying attention and held the throttle open) it over rotated and landed upside down in a puddle. It was like 50 meters away so i had to run for my life to get to it...but it was too late the engine had died, the filter had absorbed like 10lts of water (jk :lol: ). The filter did its job and kept crap out of the carb, however the engine was soaked with water. It took a dramatic strip down and reoiling to get it up and running again. However the engine doesnt have as much poke as before, may be a coincidence but can neverbe sure :)

Adam

Exactly. A snorkel. A nitro engine doesn't have one, making it far easier for water to enter the engine.

Tell that to Mr T's Hot Bodies lightning GTX 2, which uses the air pickup at the front for the air filter.

Tell that to Mr T's Hot Bodies lightning GTX 2, which uses the air pickup at the front for the air filter.

To a degree

As the model moves the air is been forced into the air intake :)

Where as a snorkel - is changing air direction completly....

Ziggy

To a degree

As the model moves the air is been forced into the air intake :)

Where as a snorkel - is changing air direction completly....

Ziggy

i once saw a plan defender that could drive the whole way under a lake because the air intake was floated on the water attatched via pipes to the engine, it was ingenious but useless