• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New guy - recomend me a good starter RCC?

MikeyUK

Hi there,

im very keen to get a RC car. Ive been talking to a friend and he says im best off going for a nitro RC car. Ive been having a look around on various sites and there does seem to be a lot to choose from. I wont be using it to race, but I do want the thing to be fast, and I want to use it on tarmac. Im looking for a kit which would be ready to run and comes with everything needed to make it run fully. I have a max budget of

Hi there,

im very keen to get a RC car. Ive been talking to a friend and he says im best off going for a nitro RC car. Ive been having a look around on various sites and there does seem to be a lot to choose from. I wont be using it to race, but I do want the thing to be fast, and I want to use it on tarmac. Im looking for a kit which would be ready to run and comes with everything needed to make it run fully. I have a max budget of

There is certainly alot of nitro cars to choose from, I would list what your after e.g a offroad or onroad car, and scale so like 1/10th, 1/8th. 1/8th be a good starting scale to get. Be good to see what cars you have in mind that you are interested on, im sure members here can give you feedback. Most popular starting car is the hyper 7 but there are others out there as well

Hey,

If you want a fast car, not to race and to run on tarmac then look no further than the Schumacher fusion 28! It goes at 80mph! that's alot, you said you wanted fast! Here's a link: clicky :D

You can buy it off modelsport for

Hey,

If you want a fast car, not to race and to run on tarmac then look no further than the Schumacher fusion 28! It goes at 80mph! that's alot, you said you wanted fast! Here's a link: clicky :D

You can buy it off modelsport for

get a second hand hyper 7 or tamiya. youll learn loads on tuning them and it wont matter if you mess it up. The internet and manual is the best place to learn. Once youve used it to the max and repaired it a few times then get somthing more expensive. Ide say a offroader because you can use em anywhere.

Make sure you get a pull start. less problems with electric and require more leaarning to make efficiant use.

I has a tamiya xbg tns with a .12 engine. it had had loads through it so it was easy to start but wasnt tunes right. i got it tuned nicely and ran it till the end of its life then i got a revo 3.3.

So far im having great fun.

Good luck.

I know you're after a touring car but just to give my ha'pennies worth....

My first attempt at Nitro was to pick up a CEN CT4S a few years back. 1/10 scale but was sold by 74mph out of the box...

In the end I didn't get to use it much as I found there were very few spaces big enuff to run it around to be able to hit top speed and also with it being belt drive it require the surface to be free off any kind of debris (was put out of action a number of times due to the smallest piece of gravel getting in the drive belt pullies)

Anyway, due to this plus a bit of a crash and arrival of a baby it has been sat on the shelf in the garage unused.

Been keen to get back into RC so asked for a buggy for my b'day this year. Was bought an EB4 and am very happy

IMHO (for me as a noob) it is a Massive improvement getting a 1/8th buggy:

1) they're plenty fast enough for anyone new to RC (don't be drawn in by "80mph out of box" as unless you're drag racing with mates you'll rarely get appreciate it.... and even then, just coz it says 80mph, if the acceleration isn't all that you gonna lose out to a car 20mph slower with better acceleration)

2) they're much more versatile. You can use them in so many more places than a tourer so the world's your play ground (no need to keep an eye out for cars coming up and down the street/. Plus it's a lot more fun (I'd assume as haven't got to this stage yet) sending your car a few foot in the air jumping bumps and ramps etc.

3) they seem a lot tougher. Now this one is from my observations only but the off road vehicles can take serious abuse. Not to say that Tourers don't take a beating

Now please don't get me wrong (Can feel the guys owning touring cars reaching for the torches and pitch forks), I'm in no way saying don't get a touring car or that buggies are better...

All I'm saying is that if you're new to the game, don't, like me, get sucked into buying the fastest car available. If you're not an experience driver there's no benefit (save your actual car for blazing down a straight piece of clear road if needs be - not encouraging reckless driving btw) One of the benefits of RC IMO is that you can take a car through things you wouldn't be able to do in your own car (ie, drifting, powersliding (both possible with tourers), jumping and offroading).

Think about options of where you have to drive the car and how you intend to drive (if you're just going to be bashing it then I really believe there is more to be gained from buying a fast, strong offroader)

Check youtube for vids of nitro buggies/truggies and you'll see they do really shift

Just be sure to think where you'll get to use your car and hope you enjoy getting into it

Sorry about the essay

Rant over

Mike "I'm not always such a Dullard, just bored at work" Sheridan

I know 80mph may seem like fun, and easy to handle, but it is not. I've been in RC for nearly 4 years now, and when I got my my Rustler VXL (does about 55-60mph on the batteries I have) and even I could barely control it. I'd go for something more versatile like a buggy, as they are plenty fast, handle well, and can run on more surfaces.

I concur with the buggy suggestions. I started out with a tourer and buggys really are better for people that are bashing (not racing), they take far more abuse, go fast enough to scare you but not so fast you end up rebuilding it each time you go out. For a budget of

I know 80mph may seem like fun, and easy to handle, but it is not. I've been in RC for nearly 4 years now, and when I got my my Rustler VXL (does about 55-60mph on the batteries I have) and even I could barely control it. I'd go for something more versatile like a buggy, as they are plenty fast, handle well, and can run on more surfaces.

I agree with matt here

I went with the rush evo - that was fast for me - got used to it

Went to hyper - got used to that

Went to VXL AND STILL NOT USED TO IT!

Figures are different to the real thing

A MT doing 80mph = trouble when u try and steer it'll roll over....

Ziggy

Your head must be spinning! There are plenty or options as you can see, and the people here are right, you want to keep it fast but not crazy to start with....40mph is fast! very very fast when you haven't controlled a RC car before!

Also see if there are any local clubs you can go to to have a look and speak to people there, get a feel for the kind of spots to bash your new RC, you may find that you want to go off road truck or may find you want to go electric on road? it's all very exciting and fun, plus with a good budget you can almost stretch to a petrol 1:5 scale if you have the room to run it!

Read up on the forum, there are different sections for nitro/electric and onroad/offroad discipline vehicles they will all probably tell you that they are the best but you can tailor it for yourself through what people tell you.

You say you want it for tarmac .. i would say get a Hyper 7 as they are cheap and lots of parts easy to get hold of..get a set of onroad wheels/tyres and you will have the best of both worlds..great fun .. here is a pic of mine when i first got a set of onroad tyres on it .. Mick :D

Hyper7PBS002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...