• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lack of power to back wheels

welsh

Hello i was running the car (XTM X-cellerator) last night and it was going well, but runnning hot it measured 300 F so i turned the car off and called it a night

I try to run the car this evening and it is hard to start and when running was prone to stalling and when i accelerated the back wheels were hardly moving? anyone have any ideas? ALso if you manually turn the flywheel should the piston go up and down cause i am sure it used to but not anymore.

Edited by welsh

ah great in trying to get the hex undone i have rounded off the engine hex's just ******* great. what do you guys use for hex's the screw driver ones? needs to get me some of them and hope i havent messed them up too bad :-( cheers again will update when i get some proper drivers

yea i found hexdrivers to be alot better than allen keys and if they have rounded off too much then ind someone who has a dremel and cut a slot in it then get it out with a flat screw driver. then at somepoint invest in a dremel as i have needed one many times lol

Clutchbell screws if its a Cap screw then you can get some good old plier on it

But it its a button screw its no good tbh

Ziggy

ok i have finally taken the engine out and have taken a picture of the clutch etc. looks ok to me but then I dont know. what do you think looking at the photos. any i should clean etc wit hthe engine out ?

thanks

p1000535se5.th.jpg

p1000536il9.th.jpg

Edited by welsh

both wheels turn in the same direction. not even that sure what a diff look like. is it the cog that attaches to the clutch bell, it no on the engine but attached to the car?

ALso if you manually turn the flywheel should the piston go up and down cause i am sure it used to but not anymore?????

ok so looking at the photo, is the thing labelled 1 the diff??? also i have undone the nut at 2 how tight should this be, so the cog matches the cog bell thingy !!!

cheers

p1000545xp0.th.jpg

Edited by welsh

The pic looks fine,if the piston isnt moving when turning the flywheel,then it sounds like you have a problem with the conrod,its either snapped or the pins snapped that it connects to the crank with.When you turn one wheel the other one should turn in the opposite direction.

You'll have to turn the flywheel while looking into the exhaust port to see if the piston moves,make sure that the crank itself is turning and that its not just the flywheel spinning on the crankshaft.If theres no movement you have problems and will need to strip the engine down to determine the problem.... :good:

maybe center diff need heavier oil

There is no centre diff on a 2wd model.... :)

both wheels turn in the same direction. not even that sure what a diff look like. is it the cog that attaches to the clutch bell, it no on the engine but attached to the car?

ALso if you manually turn the flywheel should the piston go up and down cause i am sure it used to but not anymore?????

ok so looking at the photo, is the thing labelled 1 the diff??? also i have undone the nut at 2 how tight should this be, so the cog matches the cog bell thingy !!!

cheers

p1000545xp0.th.jpg

By looking at this pic 1 is you're slipper clutch 2 is the tesion spring . Itr looks like the tension is to slack and you have worn the clutch pad out

ok when turning the flywheel the piston is now moving, however piston is tight when at the top of the engine and when i try and move the piston a full revolution the flywheel slips, however its done up as tight as poss!!

gonna re build and see how it goes. many thanks for all the help :-)

oh about the wheels is that serious when you turn one clockwise the other should rotate anti clockwise ?!?! mine dont do that

do both wheels turn when you turn the spur gear num 1 and the nut 2 should be tightend up all the way then undone halh to one turn.

Its me morning eyes lol.I think you will need a new clutch pad by looking at the mess around the spur.

cheers Tonycat but i had loosened the nut on that, probly why its looks loose.

OK so i turn the rear right wheel by hand and the left doesnt turn, i turn the right wheel by hand and they both turn in the same direction. strange...

Spin the spur gear to see if both wheels have drive and if its ok they'll both turn in the same direction,not all models have the same diff setups..... :)

lol this must be p****** you all off really appreciate the help. I have noticed that if i hold the slipper clutch cog tight and turn a wheel the other goes in opposite direction!!

when i manually turn the spur gear the right wheel turns fine, however the left wheel turns but not as much. so if i turn the spur 5 times for example the left wheel will do a complete turn but the right will only move a quarter turn for example ? is this a diff problem? the manual says it may need altering after run in ?

cheers

lol this must be pi55ing you all off really appreciate the help. I have noticed that if i hold the slipper clutch cog tight and turn a wheel the other goes in opposite direction!!

when i manually turn the spur gear the right wheel turns fine, however the left wheel turns but not as much. so if i turn the spur 5 times for example the left wheel will do a complete turn but the right will only move a quarter turn for example ? is this a diff problem? the manual says it may need altering after run in ?

cheers

I think you will have to look inside you're diff to see if you have stripped the cogs ??????? the diff is where the drive shafts go to.

Edited by tonycat