• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Royal Mail

dazzi220

From Royalmail.com:

Industrial action: an update from Royal Mail

Update - July 25th

Strike action starting Wednesday 25th July

We are hugely disappointed to report that the CWU has announced a series of strikes over the two-week period beginning at 7pm on Wednesday 25th July 2007 and ending at 12 noon on Wednesday 8th August. The action will not take place on a national basis, but at different Royal Mail sites, at different times, across the country.

What this means for you

The situation is complex

For the week commencing Monday 23rd July

The strike will impact the following:

* We anticipate that the majority of Mail Centres will be on official strike on Thursday 26th July

* Some Delivery Offices that are co-located with a Mail Centre may also be on strike on 26th July

* Customers can continue to post items as usual on this day, but we recommend posting in Post Boxes outside of Post Offices

* We regret there will be limited delivery services on Saturday 28th July

* Collections on Saturday 28th July will be limited to a single collection from Post Boxes outside of Post Offices and these collections may be earlier than the normal advertised times

* We will do all we can to deliver Special Delivery items, but Special Delivery Saturday guarantee will be suspended for Saturday 28th July

* Parcelforce Worldwide’s guaranteed services will remain unaffected

* Royal Mail’s Branch Direct, Sameday and Door to Door services remain unaffected

* All other mail services will be subject to delay

* Please note, this does not affect Royal Mail’s operations in Northern Ireland

We have well-developed contingency plans designed to reduce the effect of the strike and keep disruption to our customers to a minimum. Managers will be volunteering to help keep as much of the service operating as possible.

How can you help us to minimise disruption to your mail?

* Please try to bring your planned mailings forward to avoid Thursday 26th July

* Post early in the day if you really have to post on Thursday July 26th

* Try to post at your local Post Office, but be aware that will not be able to accept bulk mailings (refer to the messages for Business Customers below)

* Normal customer service helplines – 08457 740 740 and 08457 950 950 will operate - but will be very busy. Please be patient

* Royal Mail’s website will contain the latest updated information

Messages for Business Customers

* Business customers who use bulk mailings are asked to bring forward postings to the earlier part of the week if at all possible

* Post early in the day if you really have to post on Thursday July 26th at a Post Box outside of a Post Office

* We regret that on Thursday 26th July Royal Mail’s Mail Centres will not collect from business customers

* All Regional Distribution Centers and Network drivers will be working as normal so bulk business collections will happen as normal on 26th July

* We regret there will be limited delivery services on Saturday 28th July

* Please provide us with as accurate and as early forecasts as possible

* Tell your account manager or Customer Operations Manager (COM) as much as possible about your mailing plans. This will help us to plan our resources

We will continue to update this website regularly and you can also sign up to receive email updates.

they wernt on strike today think they are tomorrow though there was talk of a three day strike this week but i belive they are only striking friday now

tbh i dont have a problem with royal mail are post lady is very good even retrived a few packages that have been sent to wrong addresses in the past because she recognises the name i think it depends alot on where you live having more of a problem with USPS at the minute

I got 2 orders that i placed yesterday :D one from DMS was here @ 8:45 !!! :S Other JeSpares came with postman about 10 could not beleive it well imprssed with both suppliers and suprisingly RM too, has to be a first me saying RM or ok..

Daz

different sectors of royal mail are on strike at different times to try and make more of an impact.

Main ones at the moment for you are the Mail centres being on strike today, and the postmen are on strike Saturday. Basically if you ordered it, it'll probably be monday when you get it.

"Bunch of useless monkeys anyway - you probably wouldn't notice even if they were on strike "

clearly you are well educated about the royal mail and how it works. I bet you haven't a clue to be honest and this is probably a naieve opinion.

I got 2 orders that i placed yesterday :D one from DMS was here @ 8:45 !!! :S Other JeSpares came with postman about 10 could not beleive it well imprssed with both suppliers and suprisingly RM too, has to be a first me saying RM or ok..

Daz

we must be lucky then, they have been better this week than ever before for me

different sectors of royal mail are on strike at different times to try and make more of an impact.

Main ones at the moment for you are the Mail centres being on strike today, and the postmen are on strike Saturday. Basically if you ordered it, it'll probably be monday when you get it.

yeh thats why I asked about Basingstoke as thats where its coming from, some batts came today tho from ebay but they were sent from Kent I think

dam i better order my GFX card through city link tmo as i aint gonna wait for RM messing about as they knew it was a poor job but why did they even apply for it. just sack the ones that says RM is not the job for me.

that comment makes no sense and is in no way related to the strikes and reasons behind them.

I love how people say these things yet have no clue about them. People aren't just messing about because they don't think the job is for them. It's ignorant people with their "opinions" that actually have no factual base to them, that stereotype certain things.

I worked for 3 different units of royal mail and did 3 different jobs, each time I was surrounded by inept idiots who were more interested in the latest soccer results that doing thier jobs, theft was ripe in all three areas as was dumping, delibrate miss postal and returns before they were even sent just for a laugh.

Royal Mail employ any idiot that walks thru the door and that is why its up poo creek, theres so many better services out there but people won't use them.

doom they are striking because they like there job the way it is and because the royal mail wants them to do less hours and be payed less can you really blame them for not wanting to change to a new system which cutes there hours?

RM has improved alot over the past few years in my opnion and i dont see what all the fuss is about maybe im just lucky but ive never had a problem with them.

its something to do with modernisation witch involve pay/job cuts.

lots are not as lucky, my loacl royal mail is on the new all the ime cos of dumbing bags of post and theft, u'r considerd lucky if u actaully recieve anything off them round ere, normally we get empty packages and a note says sorry we lost your stuff - jacked. Its get so annyoing with the endless compo claims that take 2 years to materialise

its something to do with modernisation witch involve pay/job cuts.

they are wanting to bring in computers to sort the mail eventually but id like to see a computer read my writing lol

Maybe they will change the way we post letters/parcels, so computers can read them? Maybe like a serial number the post-lady/man inserts to show it's destination, that's stored on a computer so it knows where to go.

I can see it being digitalised soon.