• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie's troubles here: I need your help about brushless motor specs

Hello

I am newbie and I got myself a Maverick Quantum MT as first car just few months .

Too bad I listen the seller's advice and I did not go for the brushless version.

The car is too slow for me. 😆

I am planning to change the configuration from brushed to brushless using the Razer 1/10 Brushless Combo 60A 3652 4000kV di Hobbywing.

My biggest concern came when I read the motor specs.

To be sharp I can't understand this part:

Motor limit:

2S Onroad: 3650cc motor, >=5.5T

2S Offroad: 3650 motor, >=8.5T

3S Onroad: 3650 engine, >=9T

3S Offroad: 3650 motor, >=13T

What does it mean? 

I plan to bash using  3s batteries....but I can't figure out if the lines above imply any limitations or not.

My second doubt is if I need to change also the servo or if I can keep the stock one.

Thank you everyone who will spend his precious time to  blow away all my doubts!

Those are the limits of the motor that the esc can handle. So if you want 3s in your off-road quantum you can have greater than/equal to 13T in a 3650 motor.

for reference my quantum XT flux came with a 80A esc and 3300kV (approx 13.5T) 3660 motor.

servo needs to be 3 wire for brushless.

Edited by TommyC

On 16/03/2024 at 10:49, TommyC said:

Those are the limits of the motor that the esc can handle. So if you want 3s in your off-road quantum you can have greater than/equal to 13T in a 3650 motor.

for reference my quantum XT flux came with a 80A esc and 3300kV (approx 13.5T) 3660 motor.

servo needs to be 3 wire for brushless.

Hi Tommy 

Thank you for your reply. 

That means that 4000 kV motor with combo 60A esc is not OK for offroad drive using 3s batteries?

I am very confused and almost giving up with the upgrade and to get the quantum2 flux instead (that handles 2s and 3s....) 

Just pity to leave my quantum MT since it has no more than 30 hours of usage. 

Silly me I listened the seller who said that's enough to have fun. 

No way!!! It's too slow for me! 

On the other hand I found a guy here who sells a Traxxas e-Revo 2.0 with customized body (almost urun conditions) for around +50 GBP more than a brand new Q2 flux

... I am a bit scared to buy it since I am new to hobby but it seems a good deal. 

Maybe a bit too much for a beginner??? 

Now I really don't know what to do. 

Any input? 

Wish you all a nice Sunday. 

I’m pretty new to it all too. I do know that there is no direct correlation between kv and turns. But my understanding is this. Turns is to do with how much wire is in the motor. More turns= more wire/higher resistance/lower rpm/more torque. The lower the turns the higher the Kv. Kv is RPM per 1v. So 4000Kv on 11.1v (3s) is 44400rpm.

I’d imagine they sell combos that work well together so you don’t have to worry about matching them. So maybe the motor they supply is the 13.5t? My guess would be that’s the on road kit.

the maverick flx10-3s80 esc and 3300kv 3660 motor can be had on Modelsport for £108.

ive bought a 3100kv 2845 to go in a 1/18th. No idea if it’s the right choice but I’ll soon find out!

Edited by TommyC

10 hours ago, TommyC said:

I’m pretty new to it all too. I do know that there is no direct correlation between kv and turns. But my understanding is this. Turns is to do with how much wire is in the motor. More turns= more wire/higher resistance/lower rpm/more torque. The lower the turns the higher the Kv. Kv is RPM per 1v. So 4000Kv on 11.1v (3s) is 44400rpm.

I’d imagine they sell combos that work well together so you don’t have to worry about matching them. So maybe the motor they supply is the 13.5t? My guess would be that’s the on road kit.

the maverick flx10-3s80 esc and 3300kv 3660 motor can be had on Modelsport for £108.

ive bought a 3100kv 2845 to go in a 1/18th. No idea if it’s the right choice but I’ll soon find out!

Hello!

I ended up to buy a Surpass motor 3600 kV and a 120A ESC.

I read that for off-road + 3s lipo motor should be >= 13,5 T  that is around 3500kV.

About the ESC a friend suggested me to take a oversized one just to stay safe.

About  the battery I plan to have 7000 mAh and 60c.

Since I am a beginner we will see if I am the lucky one who picked up a cool combination or if I will destroy everything 🤪( that can be part of the learning process).

I found all these stuff on AliExpress ... at least  I have not wasted too much £££ in case of total disaster.

Let's keep the finger crossed. 🤞

I should get everything within 15 days except batteries those will arrive much later.

Do you think I could make a test using  a 2500 mAh 25c  3S Lipo?  (I would not run the model with this...just a quick check if everthing runs smootly on the workbench).

Real road test will happen when I will get the proper batteries 😎.

Wish you a wonderful week!

you should be ok for testing with the 2500 it just wont have the punch or duration of the larger battery your planning on using 

12 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

you should be ok for testing with the 2500 it just wont have the punch or duration of the larger battery your planning on using 

Thanks mate. 

I feel relieved about the possibility to test it with a smaller battery

Love this forum.

I am getting already a lot of helpful advices.

Thank you all.

1 hour ago, TommyC said:

To be honest, it’s mental enough with the 80a and 3s! It seems many owners prefer to run them on 2s for durability.

Well...I like speed too much! I will "dowgrade" to 2s if I will have too many breakages.

Last Saturday I replaced the stock spur gear (plastic-broken) with a steel one. Yesterday I went for a short bashing to test it and a small stone went into the spur/pinion bay: car started to slow down and I just drove it back to my direction and motor gave up....It seems the stone got  stuck between the bay area and the spur gear---car started to run slow and 80 meters have been enough to kill the motor.

Destiny says I must change the motor!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to keep you updated about my humble project since I am a beginner.

I ended up with a different choice that seemed to be better for a MT:  2300 kV motor + 80A ESC.

I replaced the old stock ones and everything worked fine at bench-test.

Last weekend I went for the off road test  using 3s batteries but it has been  very short because I  lost  the front left driveshaft after just 1 min 😵‍💫.

Today I will get the spare parts and I hope to run the car during the weekend .🤞

Anyway I would say that it's really cool to get dirty hands working on these toys!

Cheers!