• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MJX Hyper Go 1/14th truggy first impressions.

This turned up today. 

PXL_20240301_211853179.thumb.jpg.9b2f6206e006a7e39b49cc96e75b0184.jpg

I'm a motorcyclist with a Reliant Robin to stick the bigger bash/race RCs in, so been looking for a bash truck to stick in a backpack when I'm travelling light and see a good spot to have a crash about in. Been cautiously keeping an eye on the MJX Hyper Go series, but have been put off by the potential wait for Ali Express spares. Now that spares are available in the UK next day (as well as the truck) I pulled the trigger. 

This is the V2.0 truggy, which has the rear telescoping shafts but not the fronts (still got giant CVDs in the front though) and the older style ESC that doesn't have a two mode switchable power level via a button on the eac itself. It still has the 70% setting on the tranny for limiting power. Essentially they are the same truck apart from those two differences though.

PXL_20240301_211910551.thumb.jpg.215134f2af51d8481d96cd20925011d4.jpg

The package supplied is stout, with truck and tranny, paddle tyres, spare arms and pivot balls, body posts, 2 body shells, simple tools, wheely bar, basic charger, useful manual with exploded diagrams and a spare wing. I plumped for the top battery option offered and got the separate supplier offered 2200mah 50c 11.1v lipo which is about the beefiest battery you can get in there and is sized well for the tray. It even says for MJX series on the label. 😂 I plan on picking up some appropriately sized (and cheap) 2s lipos for less intense bashing. 

PXL_20240301_211958845.thumb.jpg.f34753a8c5fac344ace16edad5df534c.jpg

The tranny is alright, with usual trims etc offered, as well as the 70% power switch if things get a bit too much. It's a cheap RTR tranny so it'll end up being hoiked out for my receiver/tranny combo but is definitely decently useable out of the box. 

Overall first impression of the truck is wow is it heavy. I'm used to minis, having had many over the years but this thing is dense enough to feel like it's been built by Audi. Suspension is okay, with big oil filled ally shocks all around, immediately feels like it needs heavier oil in the shocks for the weight which I'll do. Especially as the shocks are right on the edge of not being long enough to let the chassis slap. Speaking of chassis it's huge for a mini, a mighty thick plate aluminium dealy. 

PXL_20240301_211916631.thumb.jpg.fdbaea78412b6543e7858d37ec8f20fd.jpg

Looks are always subjective, but there is no doubt the shell is very 'now' with the cab forward/flat deck design resembling larger scale race truggys. The shell is heavily reinforced with thick plastic slide plates on the roof and with the wing filling in for the rest of the shell protection it should stay pretty good. Very tight fit on the body posts so no rattle, and no real need for the tagged body clips if I'm honest. Having the spare shell with the other colour option is a very nice touch I must admit. 

PXL_20240301_211925106.thumb.jpg.aab8211b0a15bcf174b050e6356fe3e2.jpg

On plugging the battery on and popping in the mere 2 AAs required for the tranny it comes to life with the familiar bleep and associated fan noise as both the long (for a 28mm can anyway) motor and ESC have hefty fans attached. I have read/watched/heard about the delayed throttle on these and can confirm, it is proper terrible at slow speed. I have a 60a Hobbywing ESC spare and am planning on putting that in to get the response where it should be. However, punching the throttle with the truck in the air causes some need for quick reactions as it immediately ties to air-backflip out of my hands and the tyres turn into discs. The thing is bleeding powerful, with top speeds apparently comfortably in the 40+ mph range out of the box. Hence why more sensible 2s power will be applied most of the time. 😂

I have seen people complaining about breaking the diffs on these, usually on 3s. I can imagine landing a jump on power with the wheel speed required to do 40+ mph on such a small diameter wheel is probably going to do that.

Tyres feel good and relatively soft, same for the paddles. I live by the beach with a tide that sits way out at low, so hammering across the sand is something that has to happen. Having the paddles included is brilliant. 

As for price, I think that as a great little package to get going and only needing two AAs for the tranny to complete, the asking is a pretty good deal. The fact it comes with spares out of the box for commonly broken parts is something that would be great to see with all RTRs, as well as another tyre option and a spare bodyshell... If I have any complaints so far it is squarely aimed at the power system being laggy on the trigger, which isn't ideal on something as nuclear powerful for the size as this is. That and the shock/diff oil setup out of the box is all squiffy, but that is something that is fairly common on RTRs, even from more established brands. 

Anyway if anyone has any questions or wants any close up pictures of anything in particular let me know before I take it out and beat it to death. 

• Like 3

Thanks guys. I'll update the thread with more spiel when I run it proper. This is just based on taking it out of the box and messing with it for half an hour. 

I'm going to run it completely box stock for the first run, then I'll have a play with it, change the oil weights and maybe swap out some components to see how much it improves, if any. 

Got me all mini'd up again. Dug out my Mini LST for a going through as well. 😂PXL_20240302_082915517.thumb.jpg.354e3586f5695c98dd19f0b16a54be31.jpgPXL_20240302_082902873.thumb.jpg.112d564abc280f27ff1c3d9300b728aa.jpg

• Like 1

I built it back when they were all the rage, just picked up a few stock parts and ordered the aftermarket stuff and scratch built it, was cheaper than buying the RTR and building it from that. 

Unfortunately as was fairly well known at the time the diffs were weak, and stripping the plastic spiders was common even with the stock powertrain. I built it with a quark 33 with a wraith 7k motor and all hell was let loose. I shelved it and waited for losi or someone to produce metal diff internals, as they surely would... But no, it never happened, so a great mini truck was pretty much consigned to irrelevance because no one wanted to take ownership of it's one issue.

I believe it will take MIP Mini-T ball diffs so I'll have a look for some of them, but for the minute I'm going to lock both diffs with epoxy resin just to get it running reliably. Parts are still readily available from places so it's still a viable and unique truck, worth sorting out.