• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Toyota Castrol TOMs Supra #58170

Finally got hold of one of these. Ive wanted this and the Pennzoil R34 for an age, and Ive been luckily enough to sell a few models to put the funds towards them. Id been looking for the Pennzoil for around a year, without seeing one, so when one finally appeared I got that. The Supra was more difficult however. Id missed a great one in November last year, not sure how, but other than that Id just saw NIB ones go for over budget. I ideally wanted built but never ran (at least with the shell, the chassis is just a basic TA02 I think?...... more on that later) But this is the next best thing as to whats included…..

Thanks to Kuhfarben/Truck Norris. If you’re not familiar with his builds I suggest you check them out here

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=43050

Unfortunately mine isnt finished like the above and I obviously wont do it justice but hey.

Tamiya 58170. Toyota TOMs Castrol GT. 

Now this is built, but is used. HOWEVER, this comes with a caveat. Included is a brand new shell, brand new decals/masks, brand new wheels & Tyres. I could simply use the wing and wing mirrors from this used example. The shell and wing etc are Unicorns. They dont exist. The decals are obtainable, but appear to be around £100. I felt at this price point, and being from the UK, this was the one to go for. So no messing, I was told the price, and I paid it. Few days later this arrived.

7F4r5bm.jpeg

The Unicorn bits.....

pT9IoVy.jpeg

Next post.....

• Like 1

So today I looked into what I had.... Lets start with the chassis.

I thought the TA02W was just a standard TA02 with Wide Offset rear wheels. I have a brand new never saw outside TA02, so I was going to build the new shell onto the new chassis and potentially sell the wingless/mirrorless used example. Not over night but eventually. However, I noticed Red front Hubs (TA-01)... Turns out theres a fair few differences so for now that plans on ice. 

The TA02W is actually a chassis that only had 3 models on.

https://tamiyabase.com/chassis/58-ta02w#models-with-ta02w-chassis

Effectively available from 1994-1996 with 3 bodyshells. It just seems so much more scale to have a wider rear track from 90's bruiser cars, wish we got more of that from Tamiya instead of just plonking everything on a TT-02.

Here's mine

ZBoyd8h.jpeg

I runs and drives as it should. As its a used example, my plans have changed. Im going to run this in the summer....

The chassis

N6UsAwr.jpeg

The Width of the rear dish. This is what makes this Supra so much more desirable IMO than the Supra 2000 (more on that later)

Co3wDwRg.jpg

Compared to the front

aSbViVWg.jpg

I initially thought the width was only different on the rear, but turns out the front uses the older TA-01 Hubs (red not blue)

AhTNpRb.jpeg

This gives you a much better stance in the rear

bg7SGSo.jpeg

• Like 1

I always wanted the Castrol Supra, because of the simple fact, Gran Turismo 2/3 were a massive part of my childhood. It was one of the first RC's I looked for when I decided to start buying Tamiya's. I thought Id lucked out when I bought the TL-01 Castrol Supra 2000. I paid less than £100, and thought it was the same as the Castrol GT, but its basically the original before it went to the gym. As soon as I got it, I realised I needed the TA02W version, it just looks so skinny!

1XljLGU.jpeg

I've tried to photgraph it but its not really worked

1Sjgz0xg.jpg

KqB9qh8.jpeg

GfhnQEZ.jpeg

LGmiOmX.jpeg

Its only a few mm, and it doesnt show on camera, but the extra width in the arches makes so much difference. At least in my opinion

dKZ05Ol.jpeg

6RxDeq1.jpeg

2 piece wheels vs 1 piece make a huge difference too.

Might make a Castrol Race Team....

RgxpMKM.jpeg

va0k4Qf.jpeg

My two Gran Turismo 90's legends together at last!

yFOGzri.jpeg

eBSCDZz.jpeg

VdDrZQ3.jpeg

So what now? I think eventually, I want to get the brand new shell/wheels/tyres mounted to a brand new TA02W. Shouldnt be too difficult to replicate, I could potentially do it with parts I have. Maybe even onto a hopped up Carbon Chassis. Im starting the emphasis on quality not quantity, and also need to save space, so I may sell a few more models and focus on what Ive got. For now, the brand new shell/wheels are wrapped in bubble wrapped and boxed. I think knowing I have them, make it easier seeing this one a little beat up. A bit like someone wearing a fake Rolex watch in public, so it doesnt matter if it gets scratched, or more than likely these days in England, stolen. but knowing they have the exact genuine model boxed in the safe at home.

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 3