• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Time to get a servo, help!

iGP

Currently building a Top Force Evo (2021) and have been taking my time (weekly) putting it all together step-by-step, but now is the time to get a servo. What do folks here recommend as a go-to servo for all build types including race, rally and off-roading?

18 hours ago, Alex97 said:

Value for money you can't go wrong with one of these - https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/power-hd-servo-lw-15mg-digital-waterproof-hv-15kg-1339109

If you can wait a week or so then I'd look to buy direct from china as you'll save a good chunk of money. 

Thank you kindly for the recommendation. 👍

I've been watching many video reviews over the past few hours and Power HD always seems to be featured in the comparison line-up, especially the R12S servo.

Will I require a different servo horn as I'm unaware if the Tamyia kit included servo horn will fit? Also, how does ordering from China work with import duties, taxes and where to order from?

Edited by iGP
Will I require a different servo horn?

1 hour ago, iGP said:

Thank you kindly for the recommendation. 👍

I've been watching many video reviews over the past few hours and Power HD always seems to be featured in the comparison line-up, especially the R12S servo.

Will I require a different servo horn as I'm unaware if the Tamyia kit included servo horn will fit? Also, how does ordering from China work with import duties, taxes and where to order from?

The kit comes with a servo horn, although some people go with an upgraded one.

Theres tax calculators to work out how much tax youll pay, but usualky VAT is paid at source, and theres not normally anymore charges on smaller items

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

The kit comes with a servo horn, although some people go with an upgraded one.

Theres tax calculators to work out how much tax youll pay, but usualky VAT is paid at source, and theres not normally anymore charges on smaller items

Thank you kindly for that information.

I assume that 25t is the standard on all servos and horns?

Are there any other servos I should consider, or just get the one recommended for all my upcoming builds?

Power HD servos are decent for the price and you wont go far wrong with them

there are better servos out there but the price goes up

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Power HD servos are decent for the price and you wont go far wrong with them

there are better servos out there but the price goes up

I've been spending the past week or so researching and this brand always appears in a video or two. Postage sends the price up slightly, so I'll have to look elsewhere. Thankfully, almost done! 😁

Servo is down to budget really. I have a lot of models, so I tend to bulk order 5-10 servos from AliExpress/BangGood at a time. I buy SPT ones as theyre cheapish but theres a wait from China

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Servo is down to budget really. I have a lot of models, so I tend to bulk order 5-10 servos from AliExpress/BangGood at a time. I buy SPT ones as theyre cheapish but theres a wait from China

At the moment it's been less than 1 week for me, they've really up their game recently. 

• Like 2

I've been scouring eBay and found this seller selling these. I've noticed quite a few Power HD servos on there but not sure if these are fake for the prices?

I have quite a few of the blue ones you linked in different models, they are a decent quality budget servo, 1 is the steering servo in a savage xl and it has been faultless for a long time now

• Like 1

I highly recommened the DS3225MG servo available from various suppliers on Amazon for about £20.

I have a number of them, and I have found them to be highly reliable and very robust.

Recent results from my torque tester:

5.0 V: 21.0 kg-cm @ 2.6 A

6.0 V: 23.4 kg-cm @ 2.9 A

7.4 V: 25.6 kg-cm @ 3.6 A

Which is brilliant value for money!

TD

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

I have quite a few of the blue ones you linked in different models, they are a decent quality budget servo, 1 is the steering servo in a savage xl and it has been faultless for a long time now

3 hours ago, Thunderdonkey said:

I highly recommened the DS3225MG servo available from various suppliers on Amazon for about £20.

I have a number of them, and I have found them to be highly reliable and very robust.

Recent results from my torque tester:

5.0 V: 21.0 kg-cm @ 2.6 A

6.0 V: 23.4 kg-cm @ 2.9 A

7.4 V: 25.6 kg-cm @ 3.6 A

Which is brilliant value for money!

TD

Thank you both for the information. I have done some further research and came across other brands, JX SERVO PDI-4410MG. KST CM653 Low Profile Coreless Servo and SPT SPT4412LV Servo.

The DS3225MG mentioned is fairly cheap with good specifications. I have located these on the bay for just under £15 quid!

Just ordered an Injora INJS014 14KG from AliExpress for £8.47, £10.17 with VAT. My very first time using AliExpress, fingers crossed no issues or extra fees?

Edited by iGP
Just ordered an Injora.