• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wheels not rotating

Leslie

Hi there this my first post a newbie

I recently brought a himoto syclone from new, and when I start it on tick over its OK, but when I rev up the engine the wheels are not turning I have checked all the gears nothing sheared. When I turn the wheels manually everything is turning as it should. So I am thinking the clutch not engaging, so could the clutch break or whatever as the engine only been started about three times not even run in yet any ideas 

Thanx for looking

Hi welcome to the forum :cheers:

It souds like it could be the clutch at fault or the flywheel has come loose ?

Try turning the flywheel by hand and see if its loose as you turn it you should feel the engine turning

also make sure the clutch bell turns if you push the car on ground

• Like 1

honestly dont know

but some flywheels have provision for diferent clutches , some are 3 shoe so needs 3 pins to mount clutch and theres the 2 shoe type that uses 2 pins 

maybe your seeing a hole/holes for the diferent clutch setups ?

OK. Assuming nothing is loose, and the driveline is all working corectly, turning the wheels will turn everything up to an d including the clutch bell, but no more.  If you push the car with the engine off, you should see it all spin smoothly. If you hold the clutch bell and move the car gentrly by hand, you should feel the bell trying to turn. If anything slips...tighten it.

Now, when your engine revs up, there are clutch shoes inside the bell that should move out and grip on the inside of the bell to transmit drive. They sit on the flywheel. So assuming you can see the flywheel spinning freely when the engine runs, that pretty much means the clutch is your issue.

Clutches come in a variety of formats, but hte most common have 2 or 3 shoes. They have springs which pull them in. Revving up pushes them outwards to contact the bell. Springs can break and jam the shoes stopping them from moving, as can dirt or debris.

If I were you, I would unbolt the engine ffrom the engine mounts ( makes it easier to work with ) and remove the single centre bolt that holds the clutch bell on to the engine shaft. There is a set of bearings that allow it to spin freely. Make sure they don't fall out / gert lost. The have a look at hte clutch. The shoes should be able to move. Either by pivoting, or in some cases sliding out with a spring wrapped round to pull them back in. Check everything moves freely, check for wear or damage, and clean out any muck and rubbish. If you are not sure what going on inside the bell...pictures help us a lot.

• Like 1

Hi I have checked the bell housing while running the engine at high revs and the clutch is engaging, so I don't think its the clutch. I have also checked all the shafts couplers and all seem to be tight and working as they should. Also I have read about slipper clutches is this just electric motors or does it apply to nitro engines as well???? 

Yes, nitros can have slipper clutches. The HPI Savage, for example, has one.

Doing a quick Google of your buggy, it looks like you do indeed have a slipper clutch. I cannot find a manual online for your car, so I cannot be at all sure...but usually, a slipper clutch will be part of the spur gear assembly. There will be a friction pad, with a metal surface opposite and some kind of screw, usually with a spring to maintain tension. Tighten it to increase grip, loosen to reduce. It's meant to protect the driveline from shocks induced by power on landings. Instead of satripping the plastic spur gear, the slipper mechanism breaks free and absorbs the load. It's not a true 'slipper' clutch...rather just a friction link between the spur and the drive to the diffs, which can unload under high torque. In normal use, it should grip. Check your manual for setting it up. Probably needs tightening.

That's assuming, of course, the webpage I found describing the himoto syclone was correct! I can;t find anything from Himoto to verify.

23 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Yes, nitros can have slipper clutches. The HPI Savage, for example, has one.

Doing a quick Google of your buggy, it looks like you do indeed have a slipper clutch. I cannot find a manual online for your car, so I cannot be at all sure...but usually, a slipper clutch will be part of the spur gear assembly. There will be a friction pad, with a metal surface opposite and some kind of screw, usually with a spring to maintain tension. Tighten it to increase grip, loosen to reduce. It's meant to protect the driveline from shocks induced by power on landings. Instead of satripping the plastic spur gear, the slipper mechanism breaks free and absorbs the load. It's not a true 'slipper' clutch...rather just a friction link between the spur and the drive to the diffs, which can unload under high torque. In normal use, it should grip. Check your manual for setting it up. Probably needs tightening.

That's assuming, of course, the webpage I found describing the himoto syclone was correct! I can;t find anything from Himoto to verify.

To what I can see I can't see a slipper clutch just a 2 speed drive clutch are they the same thing I'm not sure see picIMG_20231210_114705.thumb.jpg.8ef947d8c08ab7e242ac7d126252ef68.jpg

No, they are completely different things for different purposes. A 2 speed setup like that uses a one-way bearing setup to split drive between the 2 sputr gears based on how fast it's spinning.

It is a possible issue for you car, but we are really just guessing. This is not a model I have ever seen, and I can;t even find pictures of whats under the shell. Himoto don;t even seem to list it as a current model. Which is no help.

Some pictures might be useful. Of the actual car.

• 1 month later...

Been a long time since I posted this thread about wheels not spinning. The thing is when I changed the pull start for a roto start I put back the one way bearing the wrong way so when I was starting the engine it started backwards and that was the problem. So now the engine starts the right way and now the wheels are turning correctly. Sorry to be a pain but the way I solved it was by back tracking what I had done then realising what I had done 🙄

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2024 at 18:00, Leslie said:

Been a long time since I posted this thread about wheels not spinning. The thing is when I changed the pull start for a roto start I put back the one way bearing the wrong way so when I was starting the engine it started backwards and that was the problem. So now the engine starts the right way and now the wheels are turning correctly. Sorry to be a pain but the way I solved it was by back tracking what I had done then realising what I had done 🙄

I'm surprised it worked with the bearing backwards 🤣