• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Good glue for plastic

Mr Johnty

Hi .

Can anyone recommend a good glue for plastic. 

I have tried super glue and epoxy both work for a while then when the joint flexes it just comes apart again. 

It's for the front bumper on a 1/10 land rover defender  I need somthing that will melt both sides of the plastic and bond them together .

Like the old airfix models used to .

Would it be as simple as aitfix glue 🤔 can you still get it 🤔 

Cheers boys and girls.

REALLY depends on what the actual plastic is.

Airfix glue ( and all the similar variations...I use Tamiya extra thin... ) work on polystyrene type plastics, but only that.

If it's a nylon type plastic. .... you could try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRCMIDILfEI

does work, and just needs a soldering iron and cable tie for a filler rod. But again...depends on your plastic type.

• 3 weeks later...

Plastic is a funny one, it’s down to what type of plastic as to what is best/effective. 
As a run down of adhesives/glues I’ve used on various plastics,

E6000/Shoo Goo would work for windows, it’s useful for all sorts of stuff, a general glue I guess. I personally use T8000/B7000(it’s a phone repair shop blend) because I get it cheap through work. 

Superglue would be good too though that risks whitening of the clear plastic and can be brittle sometimes.
Araldite/Epoxy could work too, not sure if folk use it for windows.
ABS pipe cement/Solvent cement is a good one for various stuff but it’s very brutal on fumes, will stick a lot of plastics together(and some other things).
Plastiweld is another good one for ABS type plastics. Not for much use on others I don’t think. It’s basically butanone so again, fumes. 
Im sure there’s more out there but they won’t come to mind

1 hour ago, ad456m said:

Plastic is a funny one, it’s down to what type of plastic as to what is best/effective. 
As a run down of adhesives/glues I’ve used on various plastics,

E6000/Shoo Goo would work for windows, it’s useful for all sorts of stuff, a general glue I guess. I personally use T8000/B7000(it’s a phone repair shop blend) because I get it cheap through work. 

Superglue would be good too though that risks whitening of the clear plastic and can be brittle sometimes.
Araldite/Epoxy could work too, not sure if folk use it for windows.
ABS pipe cement/Solvent cement is a good one for various stuff but it’s very brutal on fumes, will stick a lot of plastics together(and some other things).
Plastiweld is another good one for ABS type plastics. Not for much use on others I don’t think. It’s basically butanone so again, fumes. 
Im sure there’s more out there but they won’t come to mind

I’m worried about the fogging up if I use the wrong stuff I keep seeing ca glue don’t know what the difference is between glues if I’m honest I gust use the strongest glue I can get when I need it for around the house 🤣

3 minutes ago, wombat said:

Thin layer of clear silicone? 🤔

I would think it would be a bit tricky or can you get small amounts of clear silicone? only know the big tubes of it 🤣

1 minute ago, RC4WD fan said:

I would think it would be a bit tricky or can you get small amounts of clear silicone? only know the big tubes of it 🤣

You can buy small plastic syringes, it should be possible to put some silicone into one and then be able to apply a tiny amount.

• Like 3

That's what I've done in the past, filled a syringe from a big tube then applied it, worked well

Make sure the surfaces are extra clean and it’ll stick all the better. I held my Blackfoot body back window in for about 6years with silicone, it did loosen slowly so I didn’t lose it when it came out. It did get a good amount of punishment in that time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ad456m said:

Make sure the surfaces are extra clean and it’ll stick all the better. I held my Blackfoot body back window in for about 6years with silicone, it did loosen slowly so I didn’t lose it when it came out. It did get a good amount of punishment in that time

I’ll be using it on a scale trail truck build I’m doing over the winter so nothing other than a bit of mud if it keeps the lenses and windows on and won’t fog up then I’ll be happy 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shergar said:

I’m sure I’ve seen that at my local hobby shop I’ll pop in tomorrow and have a look 👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For sturdy joints, I've had good results with plastic cement, similar to what AI totally get your struggle with plastic bonding. I've been down that road with RC cars, too. For sturdy joints, I've had good results with plastic cement, similar to what Airfix used. You might find it labeled as "model cement" at hobby stores. It creates a chemical bond by slightly melting the plastic, making a strong connection. I'd recommend giving it a shot. Also, you could use epdm lijm drukvat. Good luck!irfix used. You might find it labeled as "model cement" at hobby stores.

Edited by ragnirae