• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Savage X K4.6 Big Block

Jray2955

Just brought this Savage K4.6 and the dreaded pullstart has reared its head, first the inner plastic has snapped but also the pin on the one way bearing has snapped!!

Now this leaves me with a problem obviously the pin snapping means the pin must of gone down into the crankcase however no matter what I do I can't see it or hear it and the engine is still spinning over so can't off got jammed around the crank.

But also I can't seem to find any bearings or pull starts.

Now I've only just brought this truck and its looking like I'm going to have to put another engine in it which pains me as it ran so beautifully and it's only my heavy handedness that means it's now broken.

So what should I do?

If I can get a bearing and use a pullstart from a used engine but then I have the issue of a bit of the pin potentially sitting in the crankcase.

Really scratching my head here trying to decide what would be best.

Any help appreciated 

Jamie

If you mean the pin on the back of the one way bearing like this, then the snapped off end could be in the end of the crank. The one way bearing is just a push fit and can be drifted out and a new one pressed in. Parts for the K4.6 are probably hard to find as its discontinued.  If you can get the pin end out of bearing then you could find a dowel of suitable size and press fit in the hole. You will probably be better off getting a new engine, a Force 28 from Aliexpress is about £85.

image.jpeg.5cacb3f2982f7eb43aa67145946a0ebb.jpeg

Edited by locky

I've inserted a small screwdriver down the hole and the can't feel anything I'm assuming it's a blind hole?

I've used a small magnet but nothing is coming out.

I think it might end up having to be a new engine but I'm gutted as this is the first time using it.

If I'm changing engines I'll go for the 3.6 I think.

F5.9 similar to Force .36 engine. I've never ran anything larger than .28 engine. Larger engines will have more torque but not top speed. The extra torque will wear out your drive train more quickly and also go through fuel more quickly. Bigger is not always better, your choice. You will pay more for a HPI branded engine.

I found hte Force .32 to be a much sweeter motor than the .36

Not much difference in performance, and better fuel economy...so more fun per tank.

The early .36 motors wer ealso unreliable.

As far as checking for a stray pin .... well if you pull off the flywheel and collets, cooling head off and 'button' ... then you should be able to get the piston and conrod off the crank and take the crank out. Then you can check everything, clean it...and reassemble.

I have the force/hong nor .36 engine in 3 of my cars, tbf its a brilliant engine especially for the price, the lrp/nosram .30 engine is more powerful for a smaller engine but its way more expensive (i really really liked mine). If pull starts arent your thing you can convert to a fastrax roto start setup which has its pros and cons, dont have a pull starter to snap/blisters on fingers but its an extra thing to carry about/cost to begin with and on the savage there is a modification that needs done to the chassis to fit it, i have done it on mine and def think its worth it. The force .28 and .32 engines again are great engines but not as powerful, the picco .28 is really powerful and will wheely really easily but its an engine that the settings need tinkering with to get to run right, but at the end of the day you get what you want. I have always fancied the lrp .32 engine as i loved the .30 version i had before but again its expensive. When i first got my XL it had the k5.9 engine and it got a lot of hate for being unreliable but it was good engine to me and would run all day