• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rc car is cogging

Frax

I converted my brushed car to a brushless setup but now my car cogs and doesnt go forward. When i give it full throttle it glitches/cogs and doesnt go forward. When i hold the car in the air it cogs for like 30secs and then goes full throttle like nothing happend. Its only cogs when the car is standing still or goes very slow. When i put it in reverse it jitters and glitched but slowly goes backwards. Any idea to fix this?

Its a cheap brushless set from amazon. Surpass hobby 5000kv with a 35amp esc. I have no idea what the gearing is of this thing i need to look that up. The car rolls very smooth when the motor is out. Do i maybe need to program the esc?

13 minutes ago, Frax said:

Its a cheap brushless set from amazon. Surpass hobby 5000kv with a 35amp esc. I have no idea what the gearing is of this thing i need to look that up. The car rolls very smooth when the motor is out. Do i maybe need to program the esc?

What car is it? If its the buggy you have listed in your profile, it may be a bit high kv considering its size and wheel size. Did you check the gear mesh is set right?

Edited by Redback

3 minutes ago, Redback said:

Thanks for the photos, big help.
That pinion is like 2x to big. That will cog for sure, can you use a smaller one?
Is it the photo or the motor isnt straight.

Yes the motor isnt straight and i tried the standard pinion with the same results

5 minutes ago, Frax said:

The motor is bot straight because it wont fit with the motormount and the pinion

Then it will likely not work and the issue is your putting a too big motor in the car without making the needed mods, like grinding back some motor mount to secure the motor correctly. The pinion is also way oversized for 5000kv, if it was 2500kv you might get away with it, but considering the spur isnt big anyway your going to have a hard time fitting a 540 can motor in a 380 chassis.
Yes take your time, get it right and if not keep trying 🙂

Edited by Redback

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

You need a considerably smaller pinion and you need to mount your motor properly

Okay i will try that. Because of the pinion the motor didnt fit right. I orderd alot of different size pinions i will see what happens

I higher amp ESC will make no difference at all to the cogging issue you have. Would be surprised if it fitted under the shell, but as you are buying it for another project....thats no matter.

If swapping the ESC fixes it, then your previous ESC was faulty. Which may itself help you.

Whatever, your gearing needs sorting....and if you run it with the motor angled like it is, it will chew the spur gear up in no time at all. You need the full surface of the gear teeth taking the load. At an angle, you are losing a lot of contact area, multiplying the load on the area left. Which will probably strip it.  If it's not possible to get the motor straight....then you should just fit a smaller motor that does fit, or find a way to make it fit.

Welcome to the world of modding RC cars. It's seldom as simple as just bolting in things and going out and enjoying it. There are usually loads of issues and tweaking to get it set up and working right.

You may also find other areas of the car have issues once you have the motor geared, meshed and set up correctly.

23 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

I higher amp ESC will make no difference at all to the cogging issue you have. Would be surprised if it fitted under the shell, but as you are buying it for another project....thats no matter.

If swapping the ESC fixes it, then your previous ESC was faulty. Which may itself help you.

Whatever, your gearing needs sorting....and if you run it with the motor angled like it is, it will chew the spur gear up in no time at all. You need the full surface of the gear teeth taking the load. At an angle, you are losing a lot of contact area, multiplying the load on the area left. Which will probably strip it.  If it's not possible to get the motor straight....then you should just fit a smaller motor that does fit, or find a way to make it fit.

Welcome to the world of modding RC cars. It's seldom as simple as just bolting in things and going out and enjoying it. There are usually loads of issues and tweaking to get it set up and working right.

You may also find other areas of the car have issues once you have the motor geared, meshed and set up correctly.

Okay thank you for the info. I think a smaller pinion will do the job

So i tried everything. Smaller pinion doesnt make a big diffrence. So iam gonna buy a new motor and esc for this thing. A 4370kv with 45amp esc. I hope everything will be solved after that.

Edited by Frax

46 minutes ago, Redback said:

i would try to get the right size motor, thats still very high kv, the gearing here is the key. a high kv needs a small pinion, you cant just stick a massive pinion on, it will not go.

Yea the motor i ordered is the right size and will fit on the standard motormount. I think it will be ok with the standard pinion