• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Strengthening Shell Query

SXFoxstar

I’ve seen a number of videos online using plaster board tape, one recommending cement board tape (yet to find) but my concern was is there a risk of the glue melting when the engine/battery gets hot?

Or am I concerned about nothing? 😆

I don't know if it's any good, I bought some for myself but have yet to use it, but you can get re-enforcement tape for poly-carbonate body shells

• Thanks 1

As a sidenote, if a battery becomes so hot that it melts glue, your shell reinforcement is the least of your problems. Finding a fire extinguisher that works for a Lithium fire is going to be much harder. While motors can get hot (albeit they really shouldn't too much, if we're talking electric), they don't really radiate heat. It's not 100C under the shell, if that makes sense. Bajadres method is the generally suggested method, tried and proven.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are going to use mesh tape use the strong adhesive orange dry wall tape. Do not try to use the non adhesive stuff and the white weaker stuff is ok, but I find some shells it does not adhere very well to (Arrma silver coated was a nightmare).

58759.thumb.jpg.b6aa46d7de783402bc41579bb4d73295.jpg

Also make sure you use Shoe Goo original. Not Shoe Goo 2. OH and get some nitrile gloves as it gets everywhere and is hell to get off of your hands...its like the world most obnoxious sticky stuff. I spent an hour and half with soap, water, acetone, meths, white spirit...just hell.

On my race buggies I keep it simple with Killerbody aluminium tape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SXFoxstar said:

@totlxtc Thank you I was just about to buy shop goo 2 so you saved me just in time!

No worries dude.

This is what I do to the race bodies but wont last too long for bashers.

IMG_2351.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/03/2023 at 10:16, totlxtc said:

If you are going to use mesh tape use the strong adhesive orange dry wall tape. Do not try to use the non adhesive stuff and the white weaker stuff is ok, but I find some shells it does not adhere very well to (Arrma silver coated was a nightmare).

58759.thumb.jpg.b6aa46d7de783402bc41579bb4d73295.jpg

Also make sure you use Shoe Goo original. Not Shoe Goo 2. OH and get some nitrile gloves as it gets everywhere and is hell to get off of your hands...its like the world most obnoxious sticky stuff. I spent an hour and half with soap, water, acetone, meths, white spirit...just hell.

On my race buggies I keep it simple with Killerbody aluminium tape.

Oh bugger i have shoe goo 2 whats the diference