• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Reducing slip in TT02 differentials….advice please.

Fat Freddy

I’ve had a TT02 sat on the shelf unused for ages. It was meant to be used for speed runs, but I struggled to find anywhere local that was flat enough and long enough to get to full speed.

And I kept crashing 🤦‍♂️

So inspired by @BigGinge’s silver can rally build off, (EDIT: sorry that was @Cuiken’s silver can rally build off) have set about improving ground clearance after watching a few YouTube vids.

In one of the vids it was suggested that putting some sticky grease in the diff would stiffen it up and reduce slip. I’ve done that on the rear diff, but I may have over done it as the difference between front and rear is quite marked.

So, before I do the front, my question is this….

Would it be better to have both diffs the same, or, if different, would you make the front stiffer than the rear, or vice verse?

Edited by Fat Freddy
  • Like 1

Update. I had an hour spare. Decided to grease the front diff so it was the same as the rear.
Got it madly wrong. Obviously hadn’t used as much grease in the rear as I thought.
The front diff was REALLY stiff. 

So I wiped out a fair bit of grease and reassembled it. Now it seems pretty much the same as the rear. Roughly…..maybe?

So any idea if I’ve done the right thing? 

No idea what effect any of this will have on the handling 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Fat Freddy
  • Like 1

true what storms saying alot depends on conditions your driving on freddy when i had my TT i had both diffs perma locked for drifting etc but i used it for rallying on gravel,  found semi locked was better for that surface its a lot of trail and error with diff setup  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Righto, so there’s no golden rules about this? Just suck it and see?

I’ve heard serious racers talking about different weight oils in front and rear diffs and how it fixed this or that handling problem so always assumed there was some dark art to it.

Fingers crossed I’ve accidentally hit on the sweet spot eh? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think if you're going to be running on a loose surface you do want a bit of resistance in the diffs so you don't end up just running drive to one wheel on each axle. I've heard some advice to say running the front slightly stiff can help with performance (I did this for my LC racing truggy build) but in my XV-01 and TB-05 I've just got front and back set up the same and they seem to be going reasonably well.

• Like 2