• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

G made R1 GOM RTR opinions sought.

GeoffDa

19 minutes ago, Redback said:

They are huge, way bigger than 1/10 pushing more 1/8th scale, was surprised when i saw one as thought they were much smaller.
That being said from what i saw performed awesomely on the rocks, if i didnt have a yeti id probably have one of these.

Hi spidey, are you getting pm`s

the R1 and the GOM are seperate class
the R1 is 1/10 scale and has a really fiddly transmission to remount
its also top heavy and imo wasnt a performer on the rocks as due to the short wheel base (even extended) high right height (even when reduced) terrible shocks that are basically friction shocks
the GOM is much bigger and open so should be less issues when rebuilding

• Thanks 1

I recently built the kit version of the GOM after admiring it for a long time.  As others have said, it is a big beast but I like the scale realism aspects of the GOM.  I looked at the RTR version but I like building kits.   Also it gives the opportunity to select your own ESC, servos, motor and radio gear.  Note that the RTR version isn't quite the same spec as the kit version.  It comes without the shift servo and also doesn't have the interior/cockpit parts.  Just in case you didn't realise, it also comes with the polycarbonate body panels unpainted.  This means you will have to cut out the bonnet, drill the panels, apply the decals, etc.

• Thanks 1

On 03/11/2022 at 19:25, BlackSeaRC said:

I recently built the kit version of the GOM after admiring it for a long time.  As others have said, it is a big beast but I like the scale realism aspects of the GOM.  I looked at the RTR version but I like building kits.   Also it gives the opportunity to select your own ESC, servos, motor and radio gear.  Note that the RTR version isn't quite the same spec as the kit version.  It comes without the shift servo and also doesn't have the interior/cockpit parts.  Just in case you didn't realise, it also comes with the polycarbonate body panels unpainted.  This means you will have to cut out the bonnet, drill the panels, apply the decals, etc.

You've tempted me to consider a kit! As I have arthritis and Carpal Tunnel syndrome in my left hand can you tell me just how difficult it was to build? 

6 hours ago, GeoffDa said:

You've tempted me to consider a kit! As I have arthritis and Carpal Tunnel syndrome in my left hand can you tell me just how difficult it was to build? 

It went together reasonably easily but as with most kits there will be some fiddly parts to contend with (e.g. shock absorbers, ).  I use manual tools to build rather than electric and there was a lot of effort fitting all the self-tapping screws at times but if you are not in a hurry to finish it is okay.  There are also some very small screws and nuts in places (e.g. wheel assembly).

If you are interested, I documented the unboxing and step-by-step kit build in the following videos.  It should give you a good insight into the work involved in the kit build:

BlackSeaRC

• Thanks 1