• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Body Choice

Miikee-L

I race on a carpet track with a tt01e on a 21.5t brushless motor. Would body choice make a difference at these relatively slow speeds on a track? Thinking of a new body but wondered if I need to worry about the aerodynamics at these speeds? 

Mike

There's an argument to be made that aerodynamics make a difference at any speed but unless you're absolutely maxed out for pace in every other aspect, I don't think you'll see a noticeable improvement in performance.

I'm not sure what TC shells cost nowadays but I can't remember there being much difference in prices between all the race shells, so could be worth a try regardless if you need a new one.

What are you using currently?

Yes they do make a difference, but most tt01/tt02 classes have a requirement that you use a realistic bodyshell. Not a racing touring car blob. If you are allowed a blob bodyshell I'd ask at your club what the best is, the fast drivers will know.

This is what I'm using at my local club. Tamiya Toyota GR Supra with optional wing. Going to be a while before my driving reaches a point where a more aerodynamic blob would make a noticeable difference. 

PXL_20220810_112014288.thumb.jpg.5a4fca63995c0c449b44ec86f4d1a033.jpg

That's running on a TA08Pro chassis but would fit the TT02 as well. I prefer the look of the realistic bodies over the aero blobs. The club don't seem to care what body I run so I figured I might as well run something I like. The only thing to be aware of is these bodies may be a bit more delicate, I've had to reinforce the front quite a lot and it certainly doesn't look that clean now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2022 at 16:38, ReggieC said:

There's an argument to be made that aerodynamics make a difference at any speed but unless you're absolutely maxed out for pace in every other aspect, I don't think you'll see a noticeable improvement in performance.

I'm not sure what TC shells cost nowadays but I can't remember there being much difference in prices between all the race shells, so could be worth a try regardless if you need a new one.

What are you using currently?

I was using a hpi bmw m3 body but I bit the bullet on a bittydesign seven20 as its based on the mclaren, I can't say for sure it has made a difference as I've only ran it once but my lap times were constantly around .3-.5 seconds faster

On 30/10/2022 at 18:03, lorrylemming said:

Yes they do make a difference, but most tt01/tt02 classes have a requirement that you use a realistic bodyshell. Not a racing touring car blob. If you are allowed a blob bodyshell I'd ask at your club what the best is, the fast drivers will know.

Yes it has to be based on a real car, not allowed the aerodynamic touring car shells for the tamiya

On 31/10/2022 at 12:17, oodboo said:

This is what I'm using at my local club. Tamiya Toyota GR Supra with optional wing. Going to be a while before my driving reaches a point where a more aerodynamic blob would make a noticeable difference. 

PXL_20220810_112014288.thumb.jpg.5a4fca63995c0c449b44ec86f4d1a033.jpg

That's running on a TA08Pro chassis but would fit the TT02 as well. I prefer the look of the realistic bodies over the aero blobs. The club don't seem to care what body I run so I figured I might as well run something I like. The only thing to be aware of is these bodies may be a bit more delicate, I've had to reinforce the front quite a lot and it certainly doesn't look that clean now.

That's a real noce looking body, I swapped my M3 body that's been patched up so much it weighed a ton, and got a mclaren 720 style of body

20221107_112528.jpg

• Like 1