• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help! New battery charging issue .

damien

Hi all I’m relatively new to the electric side of modern rc cars.

I’ve just bought a corally radix 6 

and tried charging my new batteries and just not having any luck.

first charge took 2 hrs and didn’t finish and flagged up error one cell to high voltage 

tried again then exceeded charging time.

tried the second battery and did the same exceeded the charging time.

these are brand new and plugged the balance lead in to.

tried without the balance lead but won’t let me charge.

These are rc core 5000mamp 70c  Does this mean there faulty or need running in the car first then charge? I’m at a loss.

cheers

Do you know what wattage your charger is?

If you are charging a 6S pack at 5amps, you need a reasonably powerful charger. Each cell is 3.7V, so you have 22.2V at 6S.  As per my shoolboy physics, Power( Watts) = Voltage x Current ....  so thats 22.2 x 5 = 111Watts.

So if your charger has 50W, or 80W , it will never manage to push the pack all the way to fully charged before it times out and stops.

Worth checking the voltage of your battery packs and the wattage of your charger to make sure it is up to the job.

Hi they are x2 3s batteries charging one at a time at 5 amp as batteries are 5000mah

one battery has charged fine but the other has exceeded the charging time again the charger is a prophet sport plus 50w charger . Thanks 

Your charger is marginal for the job, but it is also possible you have a faulty pack.

I would contact the seller and tell them your new pack won;t fully charge.

Tell them what you did, the settings you charged at, the charger you used, and the results you got.

1 hour ago, damien said:

It’s got a balance lead which I’m using ? 
the shop sold me it (modelsport with the batteries etc) 

yes reach out to modelsport, it might be a faulty pack, i had a few overlander 4s batteries that came dead and the replacments also werent right (not from modelsport). The shop should sort it.

Edited by Redback

16 hours ago, damien said:

Hi they are x2 3s batteries charging one at a time at 5 amp as batteries are 5000mah

one battery has charged fine but the other has exceeded the charging time again the charger is a prophet sport plus 50w charger . Thanks 

Just because it has a balance cable doesn't mean it will balance charge here are both manual from yours and the one I suggested 

Note the Overlander vsr has a balance mode to which it will charge all cell up together your prophet sport plus just charges as a unbalanced charge to which could be your issue and may cause other over charge issues in future 

DYNC2010-Manual.pdf

Overlander_VSR_Manual_1.pdf

Edited by Gampla