• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice needed please...

Hey guys,

I've seen many posts on this topic, but most I've seen are outdated now (mostly 2020 posts).

My son (7 years old) would like to get into crawlers, or he thinks he would anyway...

So, I have a budget of £150 (absolute max) to buy a small scale crawler, from 1/24 to 1/16 scale.

I've been looking at:

FTX Outback Mini X

FTX Ranger XC

FTX Mini 3.0

Axial SCX24

Panda Tetra 18 & 24

Element Enduro

My question is, which is the best for a youngster wanting to start out crawling?

• Like 1

Thanks @rccar4life.

It's not the first. We're gaining quite the collection to be fair.

So far we're at a 124019, which is currently in bits being upgraded, an Eachine EAT10, which he's been using as a skatepark basher. An FTX Vortex boat, which we've taken down to the local model boat lake, and my latest addition is a modified Fayee FY004, which is awesome, but doesn't really crawl. I think between that and watching YouTube videos, that's where he's got the obsession with trying crawling. My concern is it's going to cost me a fortune if he really enjoys it! 🤣🤣

I quite like the idea of the longer wheelbase on the gladiator which, like you say, should make it more stable for him. I mean, obviously I'll have to have a go too. 🤷🏻‍♂️😉

I've still got a little FTX outback mini X that we've had for a couple of years now. Its a very different thing to the 1/10th scale TRX4 that I've bought since but it is good fun around the house and out in our (small) garden and sand pit. The only negatives so far are that the gearing on it is a little slow for taking it out on a trail walk (even at six year old pace) and we have (ok, the six year old has) managed to strip one set of gears from its tiny gearbox. A new set of gears wasn't exactly expensive though, and it was a relatively easy fix despite the tiny screws, so not the end of the world.

If I were choosing a small scale crawler again now I might be tempted to splash out on the SCX24 because of the much better range of upgrades and aftermarket parts that you can get. Or possibly give some of the slightly larger FTX trucks a go as they seem to be well regarded by the people on here who have them

@BigGinge Thanks for the advice. I'm just so torn. Can't decide whether to stick small with the SCX24 or go a little bigger with the Mini X or XC.

Anyone able to tell me the real life difference between the Mini X and the XC? Other than the scale obviously.