• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and shareย all things R/C!

Hyper 7 PBS electric conversion

beenq

Hi all, I did jump on a sellers thread (sorry mods) but as the title says looking to convert a 7PBS. Have been out of this hobby for 10 years or more but kept a hold of it hoping one day to go back to it. So hi ๐Ÿ‘‹ to all of you and please any help is appreciated ๐Ÿ™ย 

3 hours ago, beenq said:

Lol, was just reading, some serious beef jerky and cooking going on also ๐Ÿคฃย 

I just re-read it and geez we did banter a lot in it.ย 

ย 

If you have any questions please ask away and we'll all be happy to help ๐Ÿ˜

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

I just re-read it and geez we did banter a lot in it.ย 

ย 

If you have any questions please ask away and we'll all be happy to help ๐Ÿ˜

yeh i just reread it all as well, love his jerky ๐Ÿ˜› any questions just shoot ๐Ÿ™‚

Edited by Yrkoon

I've not made a batch in a very long time...bought some Jack Link's stuff today as it was on offer in Sainsbury's...both packs arrrrrrrr in my belly! Though it just wasn't the same as the homebrew stuff...just seemed processed/too tender.ย 

ย 

And we're busy bantering in this chaps thread now ๐Ÿ˜‚

1 hour ago, beenq said:

Will get some pics of the cats later, I'm thinking I may do the black edition as its battered compared to the PBS, be good to iron out any probs I create then do the second one lol

The PBS are awesome buggies. I sold my brushless one about 5 years ago and i regret it. Currently looking for another now lol.

ย 

Without wanting to hijack the OPs thead I haveย  questions regarding motors and ESCs for brushless Hyper 7s.

ย 

I recently bought a Hyper 7 roller from the for sale pages on here which already has a motor mount and battery tray, so I'm currently looking for a well priced motor and ESC. Realistically I'm only wanting to run 4s, and it'll just be used for light bashing on road, dirt and short grass etc.

ย 

I've read the above threads it seems you could get cheap 4274 cans and a Hobbywing 8BL150 for around ยฃ100, but the cheap motors look to have increased since then so they're not really any cheaper than a 4274 Hobbywing from a UK supplier. A lot of people say just get the Max 8 combo and be done with it, but are there any cheaper reliable options for a Hyper 7 running 4s?

ย 

For example is a SC8 which is rated at 120 Amps up to the job? And what's the difference between an 8BL150 and a Max 8 ESC?

ย 

I've read on here that the cheaper ESCs are prone to burning up, would that likely be the case if only running 4s? Ultimately I don't want to spend more than I need to, but at the same time I don't want to have to replace things that aren't up to the job.

Bl150 is older, and doesn't auto detect lipo cells properly so you have to set it each time the cell count changes, that's how mine behaves and reading the manual its normal.

ย 

Max8 is a newer model and has proper auto cell detection (as long as it's not a 5S cell).ย 

ย 

Wpsc8 is totally fine, I've ran them in a few different 1/8 buggies, so the Hyper VSE use to come with a rebranded 100a 4S ESC...in other words you'll be fine with a WP-SC8, I've matched one of mine with a castle 1515 2200kv in the past and it was rapid!ย 

ย 

Cheap motors can be found on FB, I just picked up a sensored 4268 1900kv motor for ยฃ25 posted and seen others in similar price ranges. I've yet to have a brushless motor die on me and I've picked up some tatty motors in my time!ย 

ย 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Bl150 is older, and doesn't auto detect lipo cells properly so you have to set it each time the cell count changes, that's how mine behaves and reading the manual its normal.

ย 

Max8 is a newer model and has proper auto cell detection (as long as it's not a 5S cell).ย 

ย 

Wpsc8 is totally fine, I've ran them in a few different 1/8 buggies, so the Hyper VSE use to come with a rebranded 100a 4S ESC...in other words you'll be fine with a WP-SC8, I've matched one of mine with a castle 1515 2200kv in the past and it was rapid!ย 

ย 

Cheap motors can be found on FB, I just picked up a sensored 4268 1900kv motor for ยฃ25 posted and seen others in similar price ranges. I've yet to have a brushless motor die on me and I've picked up some tatty motors in my time!ย 

ย 

I'm genuinely like a kid at the moment in that sweet shop willy wonka film !! , I'm gonna strip out the black edition ASAP. Question though, the old radio gear I have (Crystal type) and servos will they be compatible with all this ?? Will save some cash if yes !!

32 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Thanks, that's really helpful.

ย 

I've been keeping an eye out on here, Facebook and eBay for a motor. I'll probably go with the WPSC8 as it's cheap.

18 minutes ago, beenq said:

I'm genuinely like a kid at the moment in that sweet shop willy wonka film !! , I'm gonna strip out the black edition ASAP. Question though, the old radio gear I have (Crystal type) and servos will they be compatible with all this ?? Will save some cash if yes !!

They should all be 3 pin so yeah it'll work mate.ย