• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My return to racing- GT12 Class- Schumacher Atom 2

PraetoR

• 8 months later...

Well done mate realy pleased your getting there and that red lambo looked awesome 👌 

Good luck in the rest of the season as well :good:

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 1

Very good update on your racing progress, glad you’re realising your early goals. I’m half thinking about getting into indoor racing as I have a club 5 mins away, but just trying to decide between gt12 and tt01 trucks. Erring towards tt01 due to them being a bit cheaper and simpler to set up.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2022 at 16:04, ReggieC said:

Great read that mate. Nice to see the workflow to sorting out your problems.

I had my first TC meet in 10 years the other week and looking forward to getting back up to grips with it!

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, it's good to steadily begin to understand the technical side of the little GT12 cars.

How did you get on? Have you written up anything? I'm so envious of you, being able to run touring cars!

EDIT: Just saw your write-up on various race meets and classes. Good stuff!

On 21/12/2022 at 16:17, Stormbringer said:

Well done mate realy pleased your getting there and that red lambo looked awesome 👌 

Good luck in the rest of the season as well :good:

Thank you, much appreciated! It certainly did... it doesn't now!

Cheers, at least I have a new goal... beat Steve!

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

Very good update on your racing progress, glad you’re realising your early goals. I’m half thinking about getting into indoor racing as I have a club 5 mins away, but just trying to decide between gt12 and tt01 trucks. Erring towards tt01 due to them being a bit cheaper and simpler to set up.

Thank you and thanks for prompting me to update this, I have been meaning to.

Definitely do it! You'll have a great time and it's really nice to meet like-minded RC enthusiasts.

Honestly, I'm loving GT12, but I'd recommend the TT-01 trucks. It's not just cheaper, it's much cheaper! I think my GT12 has probably cost me £600+, not including wheels/tyres and additive. I imagine the TT-01 truck rules keep upgrades minimal and costs low. Plus, they'll survive crashes much better. If my club ran TT-01 trucks, I'd run a TT-01 truck! :lol:

Edited by PraetoR
  • Like 2

Yeah, think I'll pop down to a meet after xmas, have a chat with them and go from there.  Tell me, I mainly use a GT3C radio for bashing / crawling, will that be OK for indoor racing, or will I need something better (faster response)?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PraetoR said:

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, it's good to steadily begin to understand the technical side of the little GT12 cars.

How did you get on? Have you written up anything? I'm so envious of you, being able to run touring cars!

EDIT: Just saw your write-up on various race meets and classes. Good stuff!

I was too young to really understand what set ups did last time round so I'm enjoying chasing around good set ups now!

Really enjoying getting back into racing and have a couple of different classes to do. Was really nice to get out with a touring car too. The track is probably just on the limit of being too small for them, but I think that probably means my 22 year old chassis isn't shown up as much

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bertberr said:

Yeah, think I'll pop down to a meet after xmas, have a chat with them and go from there.  Tell me, I mainly use a GT3C radio for bashing / crawling, will that be OK for indoor racing, or will I need something better (faster response)?

The GT3C certainly has enough functions for you to start racing. My Futaba T2HR system doesn't have dual-rate adjustment and I've never really felt it has held me back. I can still adjust the amount of steering, just not left/right, independently.

As for response... I mean... is there a delay? If there is, don't use it. If there isn't, then go ahead!

I'm sure that there are top radio systems that, on paper, have faster response times. However, if yours is already so fast that you cannot perceive any delay (very likely the response time is considerable quicker than human reaction speed), then what's the benefit of spending more money? ESPECIALLY if you're running TT-01 trucks. Surely that's meant to be a fun class?

2 hours ago, ReggieC said:

I was too young to really understand what set ups did last time round so I'm enjoying chasing around good set ups now!

Really enjoying getting back into racing and have a couple of different classes to do. Was really nice to get out with a touring car too. The track is probably just on the limit of being too small for them, but I think that probably means my 22 year old chassis isn't shown up as much

Yeah, I get you. I definitely miss the tweakability of the touring cars. GT12 just doesn't have that same scope of adjustment. Man, I love touring cars!

I saw that. You seem to be doing really well and (more importantly) having a lot of fun. I honestly think the whole "latest and greatest" thing is a little overrated. A good driver with an old TC is going to be faster than a not-so-good driver with a new TC.

Touring cars were amazing 20 years ago. They are better now, but not by a huge amount.

Not like showing up with a 20 year old Mardave and trying to compete vs modern GT12 cars! That would be a bloodbath! :lol:

• Haha 2

On 23/12/2022 at 11:34, PraetoR said:

Yeah, I get you. I definitely miss the tweakability of the touring cars. GT12 just doesn't have that same scope of adjustment. Man, I love touring cars!

I saw that. You seem to be doing really well and (more importantly) having a lot of fun. I honestly think the whole "latest and greatest" thing is a little overrated. A good driver with an old TC is going to be faster than a not-so-good driver with a new TC.

Touring cars were amazing 20 years ago. They are better now, but not by a huge amount.

Not like showing up with a 20 year old Mardave and trying to compete vs modern GT12 cars! That would be a bloodbath! :lol:

Yeah I'm surprised with how well I'm doing really. I was far from fast when I used to race, but just seem to have a bit better control of it now.

I also find it funny how when I used to race TC, I always wanted to go off road racing, and now I've come back and started racing off road, the bug for TC racing pops up again. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really liking the look of these GT12's. There's a decent amount running on the Tuesday night sessions I go to and they suit the smaller hall a lot better. Trying to stop myself from just picking up cars for every class I can get into is proving difficult currently!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! Sounds very familiar!

Just FYI, if you do decide to dip your toe into GT12, the Atom 3 has already been announced as is on the way. However, it's a VERY  marginal (read "disappointing") upgrade to the Atom 2. So, if you want a good car at a lower price point, there will be plenty of Atom 2s flooding the market.

However, the new Zen seems a bit better than both!

• 2 weeks later...

:dribble:

Sharkfat does it again!

IMG-20230208-WA0003.thumb.jpg.03e5970b37420bd3c3ae7645c2e40b8d.jpg

IMG-20230208-WA0005.thumb.jpg.83085f9c5e799cc547850c1e227a21b3.jpg

IMG-20230208-WA0007.thumb.jpg.84614d494de3f61f77bcdf0301a89331.jpg

IMG-20230208-WA0008.thumb.jpg.7a5b749e7c669524acd3c58a2973075e.jpg

IMG-20230208-WA0009.thumb.jpg.937bbae418747f4c17f50306a00b9059.jpg

IMG-20230208-WA0010.thumb.jpg.d0e7bfc16655ed19402df4c8b3ec018e.jpg

IMG-20230208-WA0011.thumb.jpg.21760bc023958a9f288d42d151e40665.jpg

So, this is my new Bittydesign Agata (to replace the red one that got smashed). Hopefully, this lasts longer!! :lol:

Tomorrow evening (Friday 10th) is the last race meeting of the Winter Championship.

I told you the cream would rise to the top... a guy who is an ex-HPI Team Driver has taken the lead in the championship. His average points score is probably around 99.5 out of 100.

We can't catch him.

I'm now second... one point ahead of Steve! It all comes down to tomorrow night!

• Like 3