• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Xmaxx battery and charger advice please

forbs

I'm in the throws of investing in a new traxxas xmaxx

I am just trying to decide if I'm doing the right thing buying traxxas own battery and charger or I should go after market. If so which ones are best? 

Iv been saving for ages so waiting a bit longer and not jumping into wasting cash would be a good idea 😜

Many thanks. Dave 

Don't buy their charger or cells, far better value for money out there. They have a couple of nice tricks for noobs who are new to charging, but if the charger is taking over, people won't learn how it's done correctly. NOT SAYING YOU'RE A NOOB. 

I love my Hyperion chargers, but haven't shopped around in years, so can't advise on what's current. 

For cells, the only packs I've bought in recent times are HRB, seem good. 

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with the Traxxas set up. Its simple, performs ok and is plug and play. Just be aware that you are paying a premium for that, and you can get better for cheaper, if youre willing to do a bit more work, and change connectors. 

I brought a 4x100w Charger and 4x 4S Lipos for around £350, I can charge all 4 in around an hour and that gives me 4x batteries, so enough for two runs. I bought a Hobbywing Max 6 ESC with XT90s to match my batteries, and sold the stock Traxxas ESC to recoup some of the cost. I think all that cost me £1500 all in brand new which I dont think was too bad?