• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Clutch woes

Mack1

Thought I had done it again and broke yet another clutch spring. I had been out thrashing again when all of a sudden I lost ability to come to a full stop and keep the engine ticking over. It was ok at speed but when it came to stopping it would just stall. Back home I pulled everything apart expecting too replace a spring again and was shocked to see the pivot pin snapped 😳 

20211125-161510.jpg

Time for some more spares I think. Only problem I can see is the pin has snapped and left the other half stuck in the thread that I need to screw my puller into. Could prove problematic. 

Finally had a go at removing the clutch carrier today. Made a puller from some scraps of steel. 

20211206-194751.jpg

Loaded up the puller and a little heat soon had it popping off.

20211206-194640.jpg

Damage to the thread looked bad at this point. I welded on a smaller pin to the good end of the stuck pin and pushed it through so as not to damage anymore threads but luckily it wasn't as bad as it seemed. 

20211222-125940.jpg

At this point my new clutch has arrived from Taylorrc ready to fit.

20211124-132915.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New clutch looks good.

I reckon that bolt had started to work loose, and the stress snapped it. Fully home, the 'shoulder' on the bolt should be up against the carrier, meaning the thing shopuld shear close to or at the shoulder....not where it did.

Good job getting it off, as the bolt holes were not usable. Making a puller is a lot better than the screwdriver/prybar alternatives I have seen used. Couple of slices off some box section. Good idea to 'hook' the ends of the carrier.

• Like 1

Thanks Nitro. Spot on about working loose as it has done it once before. I caught it when doing general maintenance that time. Although I couldn't say 100% it is the same bolt come loose it probably is. When sheared it messed the top of the hole up but none of the threads thankfully. Even if it did and I was desperate I still could have helicoiled it. I did actually buy a new carrier and used that. The old one has gone in the spare parts bin for a rainy day 😆

Edited by Mack1
Spelling