• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is it worth going for sensored setups on a high Kv 1:10 motor?

ninjagaiden

Folks

I redid the electrics on my Cougar KD and dropped in a Ares Pro 6.5t sensored motor and Hobbywing 10BL160 motor. This is just for light bashing. I noticed that compared to a 10.5t setup in my 1:10 truggy the sensored system isn't as smooth at low speed. I presume this is due to the low turn count / high KV.

I'm thinking of my next 1:10 4wd buggy upgrade (again for light bashing) and thinking whether or not it is really worthwhile paying for a sensored setup. Might prefer to go with a Castle Sidewinder 4 and 5700kv motor as I always got on well with Castle stuff in the past.

Would value thoughts

Thanks

Thanks - using the Hobbywing 10Bl120. It's the motor causing the notchiness I reckon. If you run the boggy on a surface without the motor installed it is so buttery smooth. With the motor in you can feel the notchiness as you move it back and forth. On power, the motor runs smoothly but the notchiness comes back when you are idling / off power. Maybe my Ares motor is a pile of poo. I've had SkyRC 1:8 and 1:5 motors before and been impressed with them generally.

I'll pull the sensor wire first - see what difference that makes.