• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Drone law gone to mad

dazzzer

19 minutes ago, H1q said:

In short yes, anything above 250g requires  an operator ID and flyer ID now. 
With a quick CAA test (20 odd questions) you can get a flyer ID and operator ID to fly for anything above 250g. Both the ‘where’ and ‘how’ still come into consideration. 

They classify pretty much anything that flies under the ‘unmanned drone and model aircraft’ code. There are additional restrictions for anything with a camera, namely drones.

With a A2 certificate (£50 or so) and a more detailed theory-based test, certain restrictions are lifted (like flying near people that are ‘involved’). I think you can go up to 25KG (take-off weight) with this certification. 

Personally, I think the new rules and testing regulations have stopped a lot of silly people getting into the air, so simply on that basis it’s a relatively good thing. Although for most of us that were sensible before, it’s added additional costs and ‘exams’ headache!

For many years people had rc planes and helicopters without any reel issues  but once the quad copter turned up  it has been a idiot free for all.  As now you can just send something into the air without knowing anything about flying.  Before this  the idiots would just crash the plane or heli on take off.  

Edited by turok007

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2021 at 04:03, Bajadre said:

got some great specs on that drone  froggy bro 👍

yeah i aint mastered indoor flying yet haha more like wall banging 🤣 my bro getting good at it though 😃 his dogs hates the noise tho lmao 😄

and had this one on my sub list today so cool !!

have bought the quad, will put up pics when it arrives 🙂 

• Like 1

well, i tried flying it indoor. i tried to slowly take off and it near enough shot off, i had to grab it and stop the motor. 

i have watched alot of videos and people are using the auto hover which i dont really like. i like to hover it manually.

not took it out yet but will do soon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, froggy8 said:

well, i tried flying it indoor. i tried to slowly take off and it near enough shot off, i had to grab it and stop the motor. 

i have watched alot of videos and people are using the auto hover which i dont really like. i like to hover it manually.

not took it out yet but will do soon.

One christmas i got a RC helicopter  crashed it into the tree  caused a lot of damage.  missus wasn't happy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, turok007 said:

One christmas i got a RC helicopter  crashed it into the tree  caused a lot of damage.  missus wasn't happy

i have had a fair few helis but could never fly them.

1 minute ago, froggy8 said:

i have had a fair few helis but could never fly them.

I have watched a lot of heli videos  and even pros and stunt pilots have issues taking off and landing  they can do all the tricks no worries  but starting and stopping is a issue 

2 minutes ago, turok007 said:

I have watched a lot of heli videos  and even pros and stunt pilots have issues taking off and landing  they can do all the tricks no worries  but starting and stopping is a issue 

what you are saying sounds like once i manage to get the heli off the ground then i should be able to fly fine?

2 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

what you are saying sounds like once i manage to get the heli off the ground then i should be able to fly fine?

low down you get prop wash  all the air hitting the ground comes back up.   need to get heli or quad in the air then go lower to see when the bad air kicks back in.

4 minutes ago, turok007 said:

low down you get prop wash  all the air hitting the ground comes back up.   need to get heli or quad in the air then go lower to see when the bad air kicks back in.

ah yeah i do remember that now, i had flown a blade mcpx v1 and v2 i think. i got that of the ground but it was very very hard to control if i remember rightly, the controls are very sensitive compare to quads.

• Like 1

so far just had a test hover indoor and it was great! so easy, so smooth. i feel confidence that it wont let me down outside so if you want a cheap quad full of features as the ones you see on more expensive quad and you dont want to register either then this is the quad for you 🙂 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

so far just had a test hover indoor and it was great! so easy, so smooth. i feel confidence that it wont let me down outside so if you want a cheap quad full of features as the ones you see on more expensive quad and you dont want to register either then this is the quad for you 🙂 

Keep us updated.  as might get one for the warmer weather.

• Like 1

just had a quick test outside with the auto take off and auto landing and it did them spot on! cant do auto take off and landing indoor as it requires the gps on.

not tried rth and follow me mode as i only tested it outside my door, will need to go to a field to try it out properly but overall i am still very happy with it 🙂 

• Like 1

yeah u tend to get a lot more prop wash when taking off indoors brother make sure the gps is off also will cause havoc haha glad she arrived safe and sound man 👍 the auto landings and RTH modes are unnerving at first trust me but you wont worry after a while matey 😀just learn how to do the GPS recal when u fly at different spots ok learnt that with my blade 350qx 🙂 that RTH feeling when you take you hands of tx and it comes back a few feet where you started is great hehe 😄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

yeah u tend to get a lot more prop wash when taking off indoors brother make sure the gps is off also will cause havoc haha glad she arrived safe and sound man 👍 the auto landings and RTH modes are unnerving at first trust me but you wont worry after a while matey 😀just learn how to do the GPS recal when u fly at different spots ok learnt that with my blade 350qx 🙂 that RTH feeling when you take you hands of tx and it comes back a few feet where you started is great hehe 😄

this is my dji phantom doing the rth:

• Like 1

yeah its awesome brother ahha i remember when of the first times i used it me and mate were flying and this dogwalker came over and was chatting about us about rc drones when i switched to RTR and put the transmitter down his face was a picture like he had seen some kind of voodoo HAHHA 🤣

• Haha 1