• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Drone law gone to mad

dazzzer

I was looking into the UK laws on Drones under 250g weight  from what i have read the only reason you need an operator ID for  the likes of the  dji mini  is because it has a camera on it,   I am  not sure why a  camera  on a  drone under 250g  would make this  difference?  but while most drones under 250g will probably   have a cheap camera of some sort and   are still be  classed as  more of a toy drone. 

Although i am not against any new  rules needed  for safety I just find this to be about trying to make money rather than safety,  I think the rules are crazy when you get to the under 250g drone class ,  when you consider most are just cheap  toys with a really  cheap camera  but you will still need the  operator ID as the laws state ,  

1 hour ago, dazzzer said:

I was looking into the UK laws on Drones under 250g weight  from what i have read the only reason you need an operator ID for  the likes of the  dji mini  is because it has a camera on it,   I am  not sure why a  camera  on a  drone under 250g  would make this  difference?  but while most drones under 250g will probably   have a cheap camera of some sort and   are still be  classed as  more of a toy drone. 

Although i am not against any new  rules needed  for safety I just find this to be about trying to make money rather than safety,  I think the rules are crazy when you get to the under 250g drone class ,  when you consider most are just cheap  toys with a really  cheap camera  but you will still need the  operator ID as the laws state ,   

if you follow the laws then it really is a pain.  i think it is down to cash  and idiots   they just buy one without thinking and just use it in a bad way.  also someone who cannot fly anything RC can buy one and get it in the air.  when i was into flying  you would have people show up and say im getting a heli/plane  then fail to build it correct  or just crash it on takeoff  now them same people can get in the air and cause so much trouble.   Back to UK law  the  power limit on camera TX is so low that it's not worth getting one unless you can fly in a totally open space.  away from anything electrical.

if they want to make cash  just start handing out  fines.  most people don't use a spotter  or if they do the spotter cannot see that far.  or none registered   even unmarked  and taking off near buildings or people is a nono 

Edited by turok007
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/09/2021 at 13:23, turok007 said:

if you follow the laws then it really is a pain.  i think it is down to cash  and idiots   they just buy one without thinking and just use it in a bad way.  also someone who cannot fly anything RC can buy one and get it in the air.  when i was into flying  you would have people show up and say im getting a heli/plane  then fail to build it correct  or just crash it on takeoff  now them same people can get in the air and cause so much trouble.   Back to UK law  the  power limit on camera TX is so low that it's not worth getting one unless you can fly in a totally open space.  away from anything electrical.

if they want to make cash  just start handing out  fines.  most people don't use a spotter  or if they do the spotter cannot see that far.  or none registered   even unmarked  and taking off near buildings or people is a nono 

i have been looking at dji phantoms again but keep forgetting about the laws on them then i change my mind.

2 minutes ago, turok007 said:

I know what you mean. 

i relly do want another dji though, they are so easy and fun to fly.

still got the videos that shows the return to home function, was awesome.

16 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

i relly do want another dji though, they are so easy and fun to fly.

still got the videos that shows the return to home function, was awesome.

if i remember correct you cannot take off near people or buildings  so that might be the first issue  then you need a spotter if your using a camera  but cannot remember if that is just when using goggles or even using a screen.  but even then it limits how far you can fly.   return to home is goon  but sometimes it can go wrong  and the drone fly's off never to be seen again   as you couldn't take back control  don't know if that has been changed

1 minute ago, turok007 said:

if i remember correct you cannot take off near people or buildings  so that might be the first issue  then you need a spotter if your using a camera  but cannot remember if that is just when using goggles or even using a screen.  but even then it limits how far you can fly.   return to home is goon  but sometimes it can go wrong  and the drone fly's off never to be seen again   as you couldn't take back control  don't know if that has been changed

yeah i have read about quads that goes awol. luckily i havent had that problem, i was thinking about getting one and just use it inside the house 😄 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

never heard of it, will google it now.

it was a big seller until DJI started to hand out ones the youtubers   i was going to get a dji but camera had issues  then i was close to buying the first mini dji  but the battery would fall out or power would just cut.  so i didn't bother lol

5 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

just looked th especs and i am rather impressed by it:

https://www.sciautonics.com/blade-chroma-reviews/

Think i might give it a miss if this is correct  lol

Do not fly closer to people than 50m

This includes people in buildings and transport, including cars, lorries, trains, boats.

You must keep a minimum horizontal distance of 50m between your drone or model aircraft and people.

This creates a no fly zone around people that goes all the way up to the legal height limit. It can help to think of this no fly zone as a cylinder.

You must not fly over people in this no fly zone, even if you fly higher than 50m.

Just now, froggy8 said:

hhmmmm.....yeah, count me out too.

just found this  it gets worse  you have to be 150M away from all this unless the drone is under 250g

Residential areas include:

• cities and towns
  • villages
  • housing estates
  • schools

Recreational areas include:

• tourist attractions
  • sports facilities
  • beaches and parks
  • theme parks

Commercial areas include:

• shopping centres
  • warehouses
  • business parks

Industrial areas include:

• factories
  • docks
  • rail and transport hubs
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, froggy8 said:

well, doesnt look like il be getting one now, oh well.

only hope we have is getting one under 250g  the dji mini is 249g so is legal  im just worried they cut corners to get it down to that weight

so we will meet back here when one of us gets one under 250g lol

here is the law it is a lot less strict for the smaller ones

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly

Just now, turok007 said:

only hope we have is getting one under 250g  the dji mini is 249g so is legal  im just worried they cut corners to get it down to that weight

so we will meet back here when one of us gets one under 250g lol

here is the law it is a lot less strict for the smaller ones

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly

just had a look at how much the dji weighs and it is 700g! and upwards.

will have a look around now to see which quad under 250g with the most flight modes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

just had a look at how much the dji weighs and it is 700g! and upwards.

will have a look around now to see which quad under 250g with the most flight modes.

I think the small one does the same but less flight time

1 minute ago, turok007 said:

I will have to start looking  to see what is around  from the proper makes

way ahead of you 😄 

still havent found one though, 3 websites mentioned the dji mavic mini is the best one but its around 400 pound.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

way ahead of you 😄 

still havent found one though, 3 websites mentioned the dji mavic mini is the best one but its around 400 pound.

You can get used ones  but have to be carful