• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless E-revo 1.0 Esc and Motor upgrade

hi everyone i have a E-revo brushless edition 1.0 and i want more power more speed as well can anyone tell me do i need a new esc along with the motor or can i use my original 2200kv traxxas motor and upgrade the ESC to a mamba monster X ? 

You can just upgrade the esc, motor will be fine, you will need new male bullets for the motor as castle use 6.5mm bullets unless you get the smaller mamba x but i think it might be a bit on the light end for the truck mmx will be the best for sure they are a beast!

17 minutes ago, Redback said:

You can just upgrade the esc, motor will be fine, you will need new male bullets for the motor as castle use 6.5mm bullets unless you get the smaller mamba x but i think it might be a bit on the light end for the truck mmx will be the best for sure they are a beast!

thanks for the info i appreciate it 

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Or just change the pinion?

That will give one but not the other tho right?
Gear up more speed less power, Gear down more power(torque) less speed?
esc upgrade does both and he picked wisely, the motor can also "usally" take a little over voltage just fine as long as its monitored. I love running 4s through my 2s motor poor thing screams at 130,000 rpm. Power and Speed 😄

Edited by Redback

1 hour ago, Redback said:

That will give one but not the other tho right?
Gear up more speed less power, Gear down more power(torque) less speed?
esc upgrade does both and he picked wisely, the motor can also "usally" take a little over voltage just fine as long as its monitored. I love running 4s through my 2s motor poor thing screams at 130,000 rpm. Power and Speed 😄

i went to purchase a new ESC and i was told i would have to go 8s with the ESC for my car, but i cant seem to find slim 4-cell batteries that would fit in the trays of the Erevo

What ESC has he got? Sounds like it's probably the Castle combo, if it is, can't see any point in changing it. 

Didn't mention what voltage he's running, but as he's looking for power, he must already be running 6 cells. Upping the pinion by two or three teeth will definitely boost performance, just keep monitoring temps. 

I really don't see the need for an expensive change. 

Besides all that, the diffs will not take big power. CVDs can be upgraded, diffs are a lot harder to do. 

17 hours ago, Tug said:

What ESC has he got? Sounds like it's probably the Castle combo, if it is, can't see any point in changing it. 

Didn't mention what voltage he's running, but as he's looking for power, he must already be running 6 cells. Upping the pinion by two or three teeth will definitely boost performance, just keep monitoring temps. 

I really don't see the need for an expensive change. 

Besides all that, the diffs will not take big power. CVDs can be upgraded, diffs are a lot harder to do. 

hi i am currently at work right now when i get home ill take a picture of my set up which is pretty basic in my opinion, i am running 2 3-cell traxxas lipo batteries, 5000mah 11.1v, 25c i believe, i dont remember the pinion and spur gear sizes but they definitely heat up the motor for sure, and also aftermarket street tires as well but when i get home once again ill take a picture of my set up. 

75? Get something with a more durable drive-train. The ERBE just won't cope, you'll be fixing diffs and CVDs constantly. 

As you've mentioned, 4 cell packs that fit and have a decent C rating will be scarce. 

75 is achievable on 6S, but temps will be your constant companion. Motor fans will help, but that's something else to go wrong. 

If you go for it with this truck, best of luck, I just don't think it's the best starting point. 

i got

1 hour ago, Tug said:

75? Get something with a more durable drive-train. The ERBE just won't cope, you'll be fixing diffs and CVDs constantly. 

As you've mentioned, 4 cell packs that fit and have a decent C rating will be scarce. 

75 is achievable on 6S, but temps will be your constant companion. Motor fans will help, but that's something else to go wrong. 

If you go for it with this truck, best of luck, I just don't think it's the best starting point. 

i got to 65 with my ERBE so you dont think 10mph would be achievable?  and knock on wood nothing broke unless i crashed it 

75 is achievable, but it will require constant repairs, at least in my experience it will. 

I've still got mine, heavily modded, clock's around fifty at a guess. I love it, but it has its flaws. 

On 27/08/2021 at 14:48, Tug said:

75 is achievable, but it will require constant repairs, at least in my experience it will. 

I've still got mine, heavily modded, clock's around fifty at a guess. I love it, but it has its flaws. 

ohh ok i got 65 out of mines with no constant repairs just upgraded all the weak points i basically have a 2.0 even though its a version 1

20210829_104133.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Cant see the point of putting road tyres and attempting to get big MPH out of an E Revo. Just buy an Infraction or Something? Its an off road truck, gear it for 50ish and use it off road

lol thats funny you say that i just raced a infraction and beat it, the owner just PM'd me and wants to run it back anywho i would like only people who know about speed runs in truggies to comment i can go arrma on my next build. 

Well youre not going to gain much by upgrading just the ESC……

Lets forget about the driveline for a second, as you seem sure itlle hold up. 

To make a difference, youre going to need more power. For SHORT SPEED RUNS, Id get an 8S ESC (max 6 or Castle 8s). Make some custom battery trays for two 4S lipo’s and over volt the 2200kv motor. The motor IS NOT rated for this, and WILL eventually break, but Im sure youll get your magic 75mph. When the motor goes, you can look at something more suitable for 8S from TP Power etc

• 6 months later...