• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Esc replacement for this Losi brushless motor?

Alvarez

So I have been out of this hobby for almost 10 years and just recently decided to get back into it after coming across a few of Kevin Talbots youtube vids.

I dug the old RC's out of the attic and started to get them into working order again.
My fave of the bunch was the HPI Blitz which I converted to brushless using a Losi excelorin 10.5t brushless combo.
All the LiPos I had are long dead due to neglect so those were dismantled and recycled. I also own a handful on Nimhs and those were pretty much knackered too and not holding a charge. Those had to go too.
I picked up a Tornado 5000mah Nimh just to get the fleet into working order and went about setting up the Blitz, However the moment the battery was plugged into the Esc lead before switching it on it immediately sparked and blew a hole in the bottom of the battery pack and created a fire.
I quickly unplugged the battery and threw it outside, thing is I think this has killed the Esc as it felt incredibly hot to the touch along with the wires leading to it.
Next day my Lipo order from MS arrived and I plugged it into the Esc to see if it was still alive. It does turn on and the lights appear fine but the throttle is all kinds of wrong. It will judder and go or just completely ignore inputs.
I assume the motor is fine and I can just replace the Esc, however with such a long time away from the hobby many things have changed and a straight replacement for this is no longer available.
Would this Esc work fine with the motor? or any alternative that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored-425021

Thanks for any help sent my way 🙂

20210819_18423254.jpg

• Like 1

Yes that esc should be fine, the cogging you was getting was the sensor lead still connected, if so it sounds like the mofset is cooked on the esc, motor should be fine as you say.
If you have a multi-meter you can check the outputs for continuity, if it shorts its cooked.
Dont get how the nhim blew was it connected reverse polarity?

• Like 1

Thanks Redback i'll put an order in for that Esc.
Not sure about what happened to the nimh to be honest. After it sparked and burnt a hole through the bottom of it I looked it over and all I could see was some moisture inside the clear plastic coating.
The battery had previously been used in the wife's Tamiya DT02 and was blasted about a freshly cut field by my daughter for about 30 minutes. Worked fine through out but the moment it was connected to the Losi esc it went pop.
Can't reverse polarity either as I replace all my battery plugs with XT60's before first use.
Took a look at the battery today and cleaned up the burnt part, plugged it into a scrap esc and it works just fine.

14 hours ago, Alvarez said:

So I have been out of this hobby for almost 10 years and just recently decided to get back into it after coming across a few of Kevin Talbots youtube vids.

I dug the old RC's out of the attic and started to get them into working order again.
My fave of the bunch was the HPI Blitz which I converted to brushless using a Losi excelorin 10.5t brushless combo.
All the LiPos I had are long dead due to neglect so those were dismantled and recycled. I also own a handful on Nimhs and those were pretty much knackered too and not holding a charge. Those had to go too.
I picked up a Tornado 5000mah Nimh just to get the fleet into working order and went about setting up the Blitz, However the moment the battery was plugged into the Esc lead before switching it on it immediately sparked and blew a hole in the bottom of the battery pack and created a fire.
I quickly unplugged the battery and threw it outside, thing is I think this has killed the Esc as it felt incredibly hot to the touch along with the wires leading to it.
Next day my Lipo order from MS arrived and I plugged it into the Esc to see if it was still alive. It does turn on and the lights appear fine but the throttle is all kinds of wrong. It will judder and go or just completely ignore inputs.
I assume the motor is fine and I can just replace the Esc, however with such a long time away from the hobby many things have changed and a straight replacement for this is no longer available.
Would this Esc work fine with the motor? or any alternative that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored-425021

Thanks for any help sent my way 🙂

20210819_18423254.jpg

Mate, I have the same 10BL120 ESC from Hobbywing in my SENTON with a 10,5T sensored motor, works very fine

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys.
I put an order in for the Esc, I also purchased a Hobbywing motor and esc Max10 3300kv combo which will go into the Blitz.
The Losi motor and new Esc will be installed into my Tamiya TT01 drifter.
Can't wait to get back out there and bash the Blitz! just wish it would stop raining!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alvarez said:

Thanks for the advice guys.
I put an order in for the Esc, I also purchased a Hobbywing motor and esc Max10 3300kv combo which will go into the Blitz.
The Losi motor and new Esc will be installed into my Tamiya TT01 drifter.
Can't wait to get back out there and bash the Blitz! just wish it would stop raining!

You never regret with this purchase mate.

• Like 1