• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja shorty fuel tank melting

Jordannesta

Ive had to rebuild the car and now my fuel tank is sitting on the exhaust and is melting, I’ve temporarily tied it up from the screwlid ( where you Refill) so it’s sitting above it, in rebuilding I’ve lost the silver film that was under the tank that reflected the heat from the exhaust but have no idea what it’s actually called so was wondering if anyone knew so I can replace it

also if anyone else has any  other general ideas/tips when it comes to the tank melting because of the bizarre design that’d  be great

5 hours ago, Jordannesta said:

Ive had to rebuild the car and now my fuel tank is sitting on the exhaust and is melting, I’ve temporarily tied it up from the screwlid ( where you Refill) so it’s sitting above it, in rebuilding I’ve lost the silver film that was under the tank that reflected the heat from the exhaust but have no idea what it’s actually called so was wondering if anyone knew so I can replace it

also if anyone else has any  other general ideas/tips when it comes to the tank melting because of the bizarre design that’d  be great

Hey bud.

Where the rollcage holds the fuel tank, wrap electrical tape around it, a few layers should do. It helps hold the tank in place so there isn't any wiggle while you are scudding, it helps keep the tank up and away from the exhaust.

I think what you are looking for is exhaust tape.  This stuff. To apply new tape, you'll need to clean the bottom of the tank with rubbing alcohol and a rag , otherwise it won't stay stuck for long

Also might be worth looking at  Exhaust wrap. This can be nasty stuff as the fibers can get everywhere. Wear gloves, soak it in water (water stops the fibers floating) and wrap it tightly around the first part of the exhaust that is directly under the tank.  To fasten I used wire.

If you use this, just make sure that any cableties or wire snags are on the underside of the exhuast.

There is also a fella on one of the facebook groups that fabricates ally fuel tanks,  really expensive, but won't melt.