• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Total newbie here...

Apart from a Tamiya Skyline I bought maybe 15 year ago, I've never run an RC car before. 

After a bit of research and not wanting to spend much, I bought an FTX Carnage Brushless.....and loving it! I like the fiddling almost as much as running it and its great fun. everyone I've shown has been impressed with its performance.

I have also found its an excellent dog walking tool.....my dog just loves chasing it.

Already replaced most parts with Aluminium/carbon, as a result of:

1) looking cool

2) Hitting a tree

3) Full throttle landings

So I'm actually enjoying my mistakes.

Already picked up some info from the Forum prior to joining, but keen to learn about more hop ups. Might want to go down the 3s Lipo route but also realise the fragility of the car and my driving limits - its plenty fast enough.

Oh, and I have some great places to run it - light gravel open areas....fab!

• Like 3

Hello mate, welcome to the forum  :good:

I got back into the hobby with a WL toys model but a brushless Carnage was my second purchase. They're great fun, and a lot faster than the nitro's I used to have back in the mid 2000's.

In regards to running yours on 3s, I wouldn't recommend it. The spur/pinion will go first, and if you replace them with the steel versions then they'll be fine, but keep running 3s and eventually the diffs will end up going as well as they're just not made for it. Personally I would say just get a few decent 2s lipos (EG: 5000+ mah 50C+) and that way the drivetrain should hopefully stay in tact 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, James.S said:

H

In regards to running yours on 3s, I wouldn't recommend it. The spur/pinion will go first, and if you replace them with the steel versions then they'll be fine, but keep running 3s and eventually the diffs will end up going as well as they're just not made for it. Personally I would say just get a few decent 2s lipos (EG: 5000+ mah 50C+) and that way the drivetrain should hopefully stay in tact 👍

Cool, thats what I was thinking really. Does the 50C make any difference? I bought a Core 4000 Mah 30/60c .

welcome back to RC and to MSUK 👍🏻

I did almost the same; had a car as a kid, now picked the hobby up again years later and started with a carnage.

if you want more speed than 2s can offer, you may be wanting to look at a better model already! 😬 i know you said you like fiddling with the truck, but you will get sick of it after replacing damaged parts after each run on 3s!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, V8Guitar said:

Cool, thats what I was thinking really. Does the 50C make any difference? I bought a Core 4000 Mah 30/60c .

That core battery will be absolutely fine mate. Right in the ball park of what you want for that model ☺️

EDIT: You won't see too much noticeable difference in performance unless you get something around 70C - 100C, in which case you do get more initial punch & quite possibly a few extra MPH on the top speed.

Edited by James.S
  • Like 1