• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie Alert

Mika98

Hello all,

Totally new to the world of RC cars and hoping to take it up as a casual hobby with my son. I was sure there would be a forum for like minded individuals and thought I'd sign up 😁

Initially started to look at Nitros but after some reading, I have opted to go for an electric model. Especially as I would prefer something which doesn't require as much maintenance and fewer parts to go wrong.

So just wondering which brands I should consider and do I opt for a brushed or brushless motor. I've read good things about Tamiya models. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

My son's requirements are: "It has to be fast and can do jumps!" 😃. This was after he watched a YouTube video on a review of a Tamiya Dark Impact.

Looking forward to your replies and eventually purchasing our first rc car too!

• Like 3

Forgot to add - Does anyone have experience with the WLToys 124019? This model seems to get grear reviews.

Is it a robust and reliable model?

The plan is to use the car on tarmac and grass too. Will I need specific tyres for each surface or is there a set which will be compatible with both?

Thanks ☺

Hi Mika, welcome to MSUK!

really depends on budget and scale you are looking at as there are lots of options. If you are planning to use the truck on grass and rough terrain I wouldn’t go smaller than 1:10. 

if the truck is for both of you, depending your sons ability it may be sensible to start with a brushed motor to keep the speed down. Having said that, some models come with an option to set throttle limits so this could help whilst getting to grips with things.

if you are looking to do lots of jumps, then it will probably be worth skipping the very budget end of the market as the cheaper models tend to be more fragile. I started out with an FTX carnage, which was/is great, but it’s not really designed to take much in the way of abuse.

another thing to consider is spare parts, hop up options and availability, as it can be frustrating waiting for replacement parts to arrive. 

If like me you do opt for a brushed motor to start, it won’t be too long before you’re looking into ways of increasing the performance, but with more speed comes harder impact and strain on a drivetrain, so usually one upgrade will lead to another until you have a balanced power:strength ratio.

there are specific tyres available for all surfaces, but monster truck tyres will be fine for all  to start with, especially if you only plan to ‘bash’ about.

• Like 1

Hello all.  Thanks for welcome messages.

Ant.p - Thanks for the detailed advice. Really appreciate it. I'll have a look into the Ftx Carnage.

The idea of modifying items sounds like so much fun but one step at a time 😁

i personally would not go ftx unless you'r budget is pretty tight 🙂

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/traxxas-bandit-xl-5-id-rtr-red--439036

fast and jumps and solid 🙂

or a rustler would do the job and if any thing breaks you can replace the parts with much stonger rpm parts and the bandit can be converted to the rustler truck and vice versa 🙂

oh if any of the ones i mentioned this bumper is awesome https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/rpm-wide-front-bumper-for-2wd-traxxas-models-black-28458

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2