• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best lipos that fit in the X-Maxx

jjl5590

Hi all,

I realise there are already a dozen topics on this question but after searching I could only really find ones from around 2016/2017. So was wondering if there is newer information since then.

I have just purchased a brand new X-Maxx 8s and am looking for a couple of 4s lipos. Everyone seems to be running the Traxxas lipos but to be honest they seem very expensive and have a very low discharge C rating. Just curious as to the best lipos available that would fit in the X-Maxx battery trays.

Thanks for any advice

1 hour ago, Clayton01 said:

I don't own an x maxx but I use Zee and Gens ace batteries both perfectly good, Gens ace the better of the two but more expensive.

Thanks, I'm more looking for a specific battery that is good and fits in the X-Maxx 👍

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Thanks for your input as always, Guns. What mAh do you run? I hear many people run the Traxxas 4s 7400mAh and get around 30 mins. So I guess 6200mAh would get around 25 mins depending on driving style?

21 minutes ago, Guns said:

Yea I get around 20-25 mins on my lipos which range fom 5-6200mah. A decent charger is a must

Why does the charger affect it? I've got a first generation Hyperion Duo that's served me well for over a decade 

9 hours ago, jjl5590 said:

Why does the charger affect it? I've got a first generation Hyperion Duo that's served me well for over a decade 

Because you dont want to be waiting hours for charging 2/3 sets of batteries? 

I try to get 6 done at a time at 1c so have a 400w and a 300w charger, 

Get a parallel board for your Hyperion, you'll be able to charge multiple packs as it's output is 10 Amps per side? (Can't remember off the top of my head, I'm away from home and not with my kit. )

• Like 1

Ah ok gotcha. I'm only planning to own 2 lipos (2x4s). Keeping more would mean I'd need to buy more Bat-Safe lipo boxes 😁

So I hear these are supposed to be quite decent, thinking about picking up a pair. 

https://banggood.com/ZOP-Power-14_8V-5000mAh-60C-4S-Lipo-Battery-XT60-Plug-for-RC-Racing-Drone-p-1170983.html

Just wondering, because it's only 4s it comes with thin gauge wire and XT60 connector. Is it worth upgrading to XT90 or EC5? I run EC5 in my other 6s 1/8 scales, and the X-maxx is a much bigger beast... 

4 minutes ago, Guns said:

Theyll work, but wont be ‘the best available for the Xmaxx’ as per your original post, but If Im honest Im a big fan of cheap lipos

Haha yes clearly my standards have fallen. Would you keep the XT60s on there or switch to something beefier? I'm not sure of the point if the wire gauge is quite thin

24 minutes ago, jjl5590 said:

Haha yes clearly my standards have fallen. Would you keep the XT60s on there or switch to something beefier? I'm not sure of the point if the wire gauge is quite thin

I just run XT90s on everything so use them

So after doing a lot of research, I think I'm gonna try and stay clear of the budget brands like Zop, Zeee, DXF, Youme etc... Sure there's a lot of good reviews, but I've also read a lot of bad/worrying reviews too. Don't want to take any chances when it comes to an explosive.

I've narrowed it down to a choice of 3;

Either the Turnigy Rapid 550mAh 140C 4s which I know a lot of people run (£124)

Or the HRB Graphene 5000mAh 100C 4s (£124)

Or the Yowoo Graphene 6000mAh 100C 4s which is the same brand as HRB (£134)

Anyone have any experience with any of these? On paper it looks like the Yowoo's are the best ones to go for...

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Id go with the Graphenes out of those three just to avoid dealing with Ali Express

Do you mean the Turnigy's?

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Yea sorry. My bad. Although HRB used to be avaliable on Amazon?

I'm not sure but I've got a current HRB Graphene pack that I got off Ebay with no issues. Now wondering if the Graphenes are worth it over the Rapids, for the same price