• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Opinions please on what 2nd RC to get.

Suits

Hello all, some advice and opinions please....

I picked up an Arrma Granite BLX V3 last September and me and boy have enjoyed the life out of it.

So much so, we're looking to get a 2nd car now so that we can both enjoy them at the same time.

Our playgrounds are generally the local fields, woods and forests - so all off-road and a bit of a mix.

I've been considering a Arrma Typhon V3 BLX as it's a different platform and will be fun to try something else, although I hold no affection to Arrma, just that I'm familiar with the brand.

I'd like to try a Traxxas truck but have know very little about them, I'm open to all suggestions really.

I'm comfortable with the £400 mark and I'd like to stay around the 3S power band, as I already have a few battery packs for my Granite so would be best if they could all use the same batteries.

The plan would be for me to get something new and pass the Granite onto him.

Like I say, I'd consider anything really bit would ideally like to try a different platform or another brand.

Cheers,

Nick

Oh, that's a good shout, like you say a bit different.

Not totally blown away by it's looks, but that's ok.

It'll be a lower, wider platform than my current Granite by the looks of it so that's really appealing.

Cheers man, good shout, it's currently top of the list.

Yeah, I was going to say that. You can of course swap connectors around but it's a bit of a faff. Plus, keeping 'on brand' means any spares you build up with repairs have a good chance of being cross compatible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, immortaljellyfish said:

Plus, keeping 'on brand' means any spares you build up with repairs have a good chance of being cross compatible.

Yeah, there is that. I do also prefer the look of the Arrma cars.

I just wonder if it'll be a missed opportunity to try another brand.

Traxxas use their own unique design of connector...so if I ever have a Traxxas model, the connectors would be the first thing to swap.

Not been an issue for me yet, as I have never owned a new Traxxas, and the only one in my collection does not have stock electrics. I standardise my connectors for ease.......

Hello everyone, thanks for the help and suggestions.

I ended up getting the Arrma Notorious 6S V5.

I decided to stay with Arrma due to the battery connections matching my current batteries and the familiarity of the brand.

I made the decision to increase my budget, as the other Arrma 3S trucks all seemed variations on a platform I already had, so decided to go bigger and harder and make the step up.

I picked up a pair of 3S packs and a 2S pack that I will throw into my Granite BLX and give to my son, who adores it (also grabbed a bat-safe box).

Spoke with Redfin who matched the price I'd been given online and obviously the benefits you get when speaking face to face with someone.

Sorted. Stoked.

Good choice 🙂

The way Arrma seem to work is to come up with a basic layout...then swap wheels, arms etc. to build a range of vehicles. This can be a plus in terms of spares compatabilty...but you have gone for a step up.

Sounds like your son came out of this a winner too 🙂

Thanks man.

Yes, my son is over the moon with the fact he'll be getting my Granite.

To be totally honest it was his desire for a new truck that got me getting another one.

He'll be 4 in June and had been driving a Monster Jam 2WD truck that finally broke back end of last year, so we've been sharing the Granite. He's gentle on the throttle and seems to be able to control the truck rather well, surprisingly so.

He'll be getting the Granite full time now, but so that I can take my eye off him a little bit and enjoy my new Notorious, I've picked up a 2S cell and will put that into the Granite. I will also alter the throttle to about 50% and see how he's goes, that's the plan and he's over the moon.