• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Painting Guide?

DogBone

Has anyone done a shell painting guide? Or can anyone point me in the right direction? Ive never done any before and now have a virtually running truggy and I've completely neglected to do the shell! 

I was thinking id get some tamiya spray paints and use  some masking tape  to do a simple design but I'm pretty much in the dark how to go about it 🙈

It's very easy to do really. Make sure you buy "PS" paint for polycarbonate/lexan shells and "TS" paint for plastic shells. 

This is how I paint a polycarbonate/lexan body shell (copied from somewhere else I wrote it out on). 

1. Firstly cut out the body to fit your RC. Get it to sit nicely in place, cut your wheel arches, position body posts etc.
  2. Wash the body with luke warm soapy water and fully dry.
  3. Mask off windows and areas you want to be different colours.
  4. Vigorously shake your spray paint can for a minute or so before starting to spray paint ~ always do light coats of paint ensuring a nice even coverage (do not go on too heavy). Allow to dry between coats.
  5. If you're doing multiple colours it is always best to start with the lightest colours first whenever possible. If you're doing multiple colours allow the previous colour to partially dry before carefully removing your masking tape for the next colour.
  6. Once you've done all your layers allow the paint to dry before removing the window masking and the outer shell over spray protector.

Here is a seller on eBay I have used before for vinyl masking. Few different designs to choose from: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=racecraftrc&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=paint+mask&_sacat=0

There is this thread here with a lot of videos for you: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1