• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Battery advice (not for rc)

oodboo

I had a coffee table built for my wife for Christmas and it has lights in it to illuminate the map.

50D29EB5-54AE-4BD9-8B90-4B0FDD5E0DFA.jpeg.c7a57de07dab7aaa2d29fb789cf470da.jpeg

I tried a little battery pack with 8 AA batteries in it but it soon broke, not sure why. Anyway, it works great off a 3s lipo but I’m not sure if this would be a good long term solution. That’s why I’m asking here, hoping someone can advise what kind of 12v ish battery would be best suited to this application. All it’s powering is the led strips and a WiFi controlled relay to switch it on and off either from my phone or google home (voice control). it’ll be on all the time, the lights won’t but the little controller board will be. 

Do I get a new 3s battery for it? (Old one I tested it with soon died and if I’m using a lipo I’ll buy a new one for it).

Do I get something else?

thanks

Okay, i hate to be "that guy", but the dangerous part in LiPos is the "lithium" part. 18650 batteries for example aren't LiPos, they still blow up spectacularly if misused. That's Lithium Ion. Remember the Samsung Galaxy Note disaster? The ones that blew up/caught fire? Lithium Ion. They have the exact same issues (can only be discharged to 3.3ish volts, lithium being reactive with oxygen etc). 

I'm very much assuming that your table does not have a low voltage cutoff - meaning that you very well could overdischarge that Li-Ion battery too. 

Point being, you should've gotten something NiMH if hazard is a concern, or lead. 

9 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Okay, i hate to be "that guy", but the dangerous part in LiPos is the "lithium" part. 18650 batteries for example aren't LiPos, they still blow up spectacularly if misused. That's Lithium Ion. Remember the Samsung Galaxy Note disaster? The ones that blew up/caught fire? Lithium Ion. They have the exact same issues (can only be discharged to 3.3ish volts, lithium being reactive with oxygen etc). 

I'm very much assuming that your table does not have a low voltage cutoff - meaning that you very well could overdischarge that Li-Ion battery too. 

Point being, you should've gotten something NiMH if hazard is a concern, or lead. 

whoa dude, do a bit of research sorry to "be that guy"  Mathew Ogbourne on youtube put a gas blowtorch to a fully charged 18650 and it took near 2 mins at extreme heat 

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

whoa dude, do a bit of research sorry to "be that guy"  Mathew Ogbourne on youtube put a gas blowtorch to a fully charged 18650 and it took near 2 mins at extreme heat 

lol

Very real world test. How about piercing one?

To be clear: they don't just go off through piercing either. Every single knob who has his mechanical vape mod blow up is due to a induced short on an 18650. 

To be clear: all this takes is a torn wrap. I have dozens of 18650s (and 21700s), and i use them in unregulated devices. I'm pretty (entirely) certain that i know what these cells do and what not, especially considering that i blew one up already. 

• Like 1