• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Howdy from Oxfordshire

totlxtc

Hey guys!

My first experience with RC cars was from my early teens up till my early 20's (43 now).  My experience with RC was mainly with Tamiya stuff. 

First off I had some out of the box Tamiya car before I moved onto something more of a kit. The first car I had was inherited from a friend. Tamiya Madcap. Awesome little car. I also had a friend who was one of those who always had to have better. They had the Astute. Anyway, cut a long story short, he crashed it, broke the front fork mounts and just gave it to me. As the Madcap used a plastic platform of what was the Astute I made a hybrid of the best bits. Over time I built the car up upgrading its motor, full metal bearing, wheels, gears etc etc etc. Really got heavily into it but in the end drink and women took over and I sold the lot :D

Move on 20 years and a world in isolation and I have struggled to find something to get into. Then I was thinking about RC cars. So I had a look around and the world has really moved on, so have come here for some advice.

Im looking for the following:

1) Budget £400 - 600 (All in)

2) Electric

3) Buggy (2WD or 4WD)

4) KIT - This is important as I want to build it myself. I just like to build things and then know that i have done it right and if there are issues I know what im looking at. Im perfectly mechanically savvy to tackle most things and more than happy to learn. I also love to paint the bodies myself so that is an integral part too.

5) 1/10 scale

Now obviously I had not touched a car for a while. So I don't want something that is over the top but at the same time I don't want something too basic.

I was looking at the Schumacher Laydown series (I remember them from when I first started and were lovely bits of kit), but I really would like to know if there are options and if this is too advanced for my level and there is maybe something in a lower category?

Anyway, hope someone can steer me in the right direction :)

Just now, Stormbringer said:

Hi and welcome to the forum 🍻

Have you had a look at Modelsport or Wheelspin to get an idea whats about ?

Modelsport

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/

Wheelspin

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/

Yeah I have to admit I spent several hours looking over at Modelsport. That is how I came down to the Schumacher model as it ticked all the right boxes. Buggy-Electric-Kit but I wondered if this might be too much for me getting back into it and there was other options? or if this was just right. If Tamiya did an updated version of the Astute then I would get it in a blink of an eye...but sadly they don't... :(

I got offered a 1/5th Roven Baja for free but its just too big for my liking and I have always liked my buggies.

• Like 1

If you like the Scuemacher get it there may be things you get stuck on but folks here are quite helpfull helping folks out 🍻

You could see if theres an online building manual for it to see if it is to advanced or not :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

If you like the Scuemacher get it there may be things you get stuck on but folks here are quite helpfull helping folks out 🍻

You could see if theres an online building manual for it to see if it is to advanced or not :thumbsup:

I grabbed the build manual and nothing looks overwhelming (it does make me want one more!). I would just like to get back into my buggies now im older and wiser. What I like about the Schumacher is of course its a kit, but parts are plentiful and easy to find. That is the other thing. I dont want to get a car and find I have to do stuff like getting them imported from China or the suchlike. I want to be able to get stuff easily as I like to upgrade and tinker ;)

It's strange being in what is regarded as the Motorsport capital with all the F1 teams around...yet Oxfordshire has barely anything for the RC world.

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Give a quick google search on spares and see how many places carry them but with the pandemic and Brexit etc spares for lot of things are short on the ground 

Schumacher themselves have decent stock for now. Modelsport + Wheelspin appear to be well stocked too. 

Other than the Schmacher Laydown, can you think of any others I should look into?

Welcome to the forum @totlxtc, the Shumacher is a good choice, might be worth looking at Tekno too, they make some great cars, the TKR6502 – EB410.2  is their 4wd 1/10 buggy, really nice kits 

Edited by Ag100

• 1 year later...

Well...I finally bit the bullet.

Now a proud owner of an Xray XB4 which I picked up (mint) on ebay. Bit higher spec that I had hoped for, but it will keep me busy tinkering with it and working it out. Hoping to head off to Swindon's astro track once it gets better weather. Anyone been before?