• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

maverick Strada`s budget speed runs for all

Lone-wolf

13 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Your excited, i went to a lot of trouble to package it nice.....rip....rip....rip lol, glad it got there safe

It was very well packaged indeed! Just need some better weather so I can run it now 😢

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Redback said:

2wd that might explain why it was so hard to keep an a straight line @Jack Reacher

Assuming it was a loose grub on the front drive cup?

Close, it was the rear drive cup. It would certainly explain @Jack Reacher's issues.

3 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

sounds like i need a new bottle of blue thread lock, as first job i did was to pop grub screws out and lock tite them back in

It happens. My Savage was notorious for it when it was nitro, not such an issue now that it's brushless.

1 hour ago, everclear1984 said:

Well what can I say.... absolutely blown away by this little thing. First little shakedown run and already surpassed what I expected to hit without messing with gearing, etc. This was at approximately half to three quarter throttle on the stock tyres, with a dodgy motor and very limited space to run!

IMG20210313160015

IMG20210313160030

There is video footage to go with the pictures, but it ended with a rather nasty crash so I'm reluctant to post it 😅

Top job dude 👍 

• Like 2

The 44t spur arrived, I didn’t realise it was mod1 so was a bit larger than the stock gear.Spent a couple of hours messing about with it but  it was just to big for the centre brace .

Bit disappointing especially as it went in perfect and I’d spent nearly an hour extending the motor mount holes to accept bigger pinions.

I have another smaller gear to try as soon as I’ve had something to eat .

stock gear on the left

D736E156-73AC-4AE6-A894-846E6438867F.thumb.jpeg.a4a8a2fb9cb1f24838929c12259edb0e.jpeg

80376C6A-74F3-48E6-B05F-300B6EB6E4E0.thumb.jpeg.b7cd4bc4de5fd7f36b766c51d5334e9a.jpeg

Edited by tomr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomr said:

The 44t spur arrived, I didn’t realise it was mod1 so was a bit larger than the stock gear.Spent a couple of hours messing about with it but  it was just to big for the centre brace .

Bit disappointing especially as it went in perfect and I’d spent nearly an hour extending the motor mount holes to accept bigger pinions.

What do you mean by too big for the centre brace? 

Do you mean with the gear in place you couldn't fit the centre brace, ...too wide or tall or both? 

Just wondering could you not just use some stand off spacers to lift the centre brace upwards? 
When building my 1/12th speed runner I've had to use a lot of spacers in various places to lift parts upwards to give me more space primarily for my 3S battery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GMballistic said:

What do you mean by too big for the centre brace? 

Do you mean with the gear in place you couldn't fit the centre brace, ...too wide or tall or both? 

Just wondering could you not just use some stand off spacers to lift the centre brace upwards? 
When building my 1/12th speed runner I've had to use a lot of spacers in various places to lift parts upwards to give me more space primarily for my 3S battery. 

That’s a good idea, thanks bud  I’ll keep that in mind for anymore problems like that 👍

The plan was to start this project nice and steady but as usual with me I’ve gone in full steam .

The Strada is now fitted with  a Mod1  27t spur and 23t pinion with enough room for bigger pinions 

Anyone have any idea what speed I’m likely to hit with that gearing ?

6FDB6FDA-DAD4-46A9-9542-971B04BE640B.thumb.jpeg.5a4fb29a35315d09959c8ca448be62d0.jpeg

Ive got it back together and ready to sort the aerodynamics out tomorrow,not sure what I’ll do with it but I’ll come up with something.

Its running a130a esc with a 3300kv 3660 

E9ACAB4A-7956-453B-AA0A-D505D85DA98E.thumb.jpeg.9790fa1ef374752fe7a6bb4c8a3bebb6.jpeg

Edited by tomr
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tomr said:

The Strada is now fitted with  a Mod1  27t spur and 23t pinion with enough room for bigger pinions 

Ive got it back together and ready to sort the aerodynamics out tomorrow,not sure what I’ll do with it but I’ll come up with something.

I was going to do it for you but I'd need to know what cell Lipo you're using as well as what diameter of tyres you're running so instead of going back and forth I'll just give you the link below  with the other info you'll need to know (about your diff gears). 

Just input all the info on this RC Calculator for a rough estimate of what your top speed may potentially be. 
Link: https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/

FYI from what I have found your diff pinion should be a 13T (unless you've changed it): https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-differential-drive-pinion-13t-all-strada-and-evo-/rc-car-products/38568  ...and your diff spur gear should be a 38T (again unless you've changed it): https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-differential-main-gear-38t-all-strada-and-evo-/rc-car-products/38567

:good:

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, tomr said:

6FDB6FDA-DAD4-46A9-9542-971B04BE640B.thumb.jpeg.5a4fb29a35315d09959c8ca448be62d0.jpeg

Wow thats geared to the moon! almost 1.1 Should be getting up in the 80s as your gearing is similar to mine.

5 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Well what can I say.... absolutely blown away by this little thing.

IMG20210313160030

There is video footage to go with the pictures, but it ended with a rather nasty crash so I'm reluctant to post it 😅

Awesome! Well done! Crash looks like it was nasty, never a first speed run with out some form of crash or mishap! Is your first goal 50 or 70?

13 minutes ago, Redback said:

Wow thats geared to the moon! almost 1.1 Should be getting up in the 80s as your gearing is similar to mine.

Awesome! Well done! Crash looks like it was nasty, never a first speed run with out some form of crash or mishap! Is your first goal 50 or 70?

I was hoping to hit 50mph before any modifications. I thought I'd have to mess with gearing to get there but I think with enough space I'm already there. The weather is set to improve next week and I have an idea of where I can run it flat out so fingers crossed!

The damage from the crash was minimal. The shell already had a few war wounds, a couple more won't hurt 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMballistic said:

I was going to do it for you but I'd need to know what cell Lipo you're using as well as what diameter of tyres you're running so instead of going back and forth I'll just give you the link below  with the other info you'll need to know (about your diff gears). 

Just input all the info on this RC Calculator for a rough estimate of what your top speed may potentially be. 
Link: https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator/

FYI from what I have found your diff pinion should be a 13T (unless you've changed it): https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-differential-drive-pinion-13t-all-strada-and-evo-/rc-car-products/38568  ...and your diff spur gear should be a 38T (again unless you've changed it): https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-differential-main-gear-38t-all-strada-and-evo-/rc-car-products/38567

:good:

Thanks for that mate 👍 

it works out at 110 mph 🤯

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

hard to say what speed but wont be slow, plenty of choice for a shell

110 mph for 3s 😂  I need to find a bigger road 

I can’t find anything with the correct width and wheelbase except the stock stuff 

1 hour ago, Redback said:

It’s going to be crazy I honestly don’t think I’m going to need to run a 4s battery 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomr said:

Thanks for that mate 👍 

it works out at 110 mph 🤯

You're welcome.
I'd guess @Redback is right with the possibility of getting into the 80's on 3S give or take but nothing wrong with shooting for over a ton. 😎

The RC Calculator is great for giving you a rough idea ~ it is very rough though as there are lots of variables it doesn't take into account like weight, vehicle drag, aero etc. Still interesting though and useful to see the difference gearing, lipo cell, motor KV etc can make. 

3 hours ago, tomr said:

I can’t find anything with the correct width and wheelbase except the stock stuff 

Have you looked at Delta Plastik body shells?
Any of these come close to what you're after, ...link: https://www.tracksidespares.co.uk/product-category/bodyshells/rallyx-speed-racer-bodyshells?orderby=price