• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

PayPal issue, buyers and sellers beware.

Oh How Original

I just sent a payment to someone and to my surprise they were charged a fee, I have dealt with this person several times before so I knew the friends and family option was selected.

He said he'd refund it and I could send again, to find PayPal want to keep the fee even if he refunds me.

Out of interest I sent another small payment and took a screenshot of the friends and family selected, having double checked (it still was btw) and he still had to pay a fee.

I don't know if this is an isolated issue with my account or his account, just making people aware when sending and receiving payments with PayPal.

Btw he is in the UK and all currency was GBP, so it wasn't a currency fee.

I shall send an E-Mail tomorrow, IF they get back to me or we figure it out, I'll update the thread.

17 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I just sent a payment to someone and to my surprise they were charged a fee, I have dealt with this person several times before so I knew the friends and family option was selected.

He said he'd refund it and I could send again, to find PayPal want to keep the fee even if he refunds me.

Out of interest I sent another small payment and took a screenshot of the friends and family selected, having double checked (it still was btw) and he still had to pay a fee.

I don't know if this is an isolated issue with my account or his account, just making people aware when sending and receiving payments with PayPal.

Btw he is in the UK and all currency was GBP, so it wasn't a currency fee.

I shall send an E-Mail tomorrow, IF they get back to me or we figure it out, I'll update the thread.

Don't know if this is related but i cannot buy anything from ebay with paypal.   it just refuses to take my payment.

Just now, turok007 said:

Don't know if this is related but i cannot buy anything from ebay with paypal.   it just refuses to take my payment.

Hmmm, that is strange.

'though I don't use PayPal on eBay, in fact I use it absolutely as little as possible these days, last sent someone a payment in November via PayPal.

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

Hmmm, that is strange.

'though I don't use PayPal on eBay, in fact I use it absolutely as little as possible these days, last sent someone a payment in November via PayPal.

Could it be something to do with the new year.   or is it the millennium bug  kicking in to late  lol

Can't speak for eBay, certainly did work at RCBitz though. 

No idea what this is. 

What i can say is that we were wrong thinking that there was a display bug or something with the amount of money.

They indeed did take the fee. 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/20876570/paypal-refund-fee-policy-change-sellers-controversy

It's actual policy that the seller covers fees to paypal even on refund. 

image.png.d23c5d920525168c36b722bff05a540f.png

As a sidenote, Paypal is just waving off people who complain about this - it looks like this is happening for years already.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Is your/their PayPal account a Business or Personal account?

Both personal.

But I've sent privately to a business account before without this issue.

I am just going to offer to send to people via bank transfer in future and avoid buying from people I've never heard of.

PayPal are such con artists and get away with it, these days it's not even like you get proper cover on either side.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if there is a small print in the agreements somewhere where if PayPal thinks you're sending so much money via Friends & Family, they charge a fee? 🤔

I hope not.