• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

Ok, threw the wheels on lunchtime as getting impatient... and immediately remembered all the reverse gearing comments in the build threads 🤦‍♂️

Looks like motor is running backwards, I did multimeter it before soldering so forwards is forwards but no obvious markings on the motor and ESC says just to connect any two wires. Clearly its much faster backwards than forwards, so I need to reverse +/- VE on the motor. If I move the positive to the motor terminal with the red dot next too it, like positive is red almost... that should fix it. Then reverse the channel on the RC so that forwards is forwards again.

I had this feeling when I was sodlering up the motor I was missing something... that would be it then...

• Haha 1

@whitecitadel

DF1D3A22-C304-4717-9914-6405D4AD76FD.jpe

I had the same problem with my receiver.

You can carefully pry open the case as its not glued or screwed together and take out the aerial grommets and cut them down by half as they're only a firm rubber.

May also have rotated the receiver to fit in on one long edge.

The hardest part for me was fitting the sealing grommet around the servo wires, especially due to the extras for lights and telemetry (which I discarded in the end).

Smearing some shock oil on the grommet made things a bit easier.

Think my steering servo is set around 60%, but using a longer than stock servo arm

Edited by MrPeaski
  • Like 1

On 19/03/2021 at 12:33, MrPeaski said:

@Logie I have the kit version with a Hobbywing 1080 ESC (think the RTR is a Hobbbywing 1060). When set up with + on the ESC to + on the motor, and - on the ESC to - on the motor it was faster backwards which isn't right.

I've swapped them around and it is running correct which is faster forwards. I have no idea why the supposed 'correct' wiring' is like this.

@everclear1984 and @Stormbringer have the same setup and theirs are the same. It ends up being Blue ESC wire to Red motor wire, Yellow ESC wire to Black motorr wire

Although looking at the RTR pics the motor wires are blue/yellow too! you can just switch them over on the motor

I too have a 5500mah 2s battery, but I'm testing suspension adjustments as it did seem overdamped from stock when building up. See my post on page 8 for my comments (11 March)

So Blue is postiive and yellow is negative - now re-wired, my wiring OCD is offended but it is fucntional now 😁

16 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

@whitecitadel

I had the same problem with my receiver.

You can carefully pry open the case as its not glued or screwed together and take out the aerial grommets and cut them down by half as they're only a firm rubber.

May also have rotated the receiver to fit in on one long edge.

The hardest part for me was fitting the sealing grommet around the servo wires, especially due to the extras for lights and telemetry (which I discarded in the end).

Smearing some shock oil on the grommet made things a bit easier.

Think my steering servo is set around 60%, but using a longer than stock servo arm

Thanks, I have the 6 channel might try that, but I already programmed it mostly with the 7. I also considered just using a larger watertight box on the side panels, I have winch controller to fit and a lighting controller I hope (need to ebay one of those soon).

I have the telemetry connected for now, but given the size of the battery and the undemanding requirement not sure its needed - geek factor 11/10 though to have pack voltage on the TX 😁

• Like 1

The 6 channel will be the same, the grommet will get in the way.

Main reason for eventually binning the telemetry was simply getting the wires through the cable seal. When I first had it set up, I hadn't got my lights fitted so was relatively easy.

I now have 2 plugs in for lights, one that is simply on all the time (main front and rear lights) and one switched on/off from the transmitter, but space got really cramped in the seal and as much as 11/10 for geek factor, figured the car would never really be far enough away to pose a problem with running out of power, so pulled the telemetry.

I had a strange motor running issue that I forgot to document at the time. Like yours it seemed to drive faster going backwards!

I found out by strapping a Garmin wheel hub speed sensor to one of the wheels. Forwards it read something like 35mph (obviously un-calibrated) and in reverse 42mph. I swapped the wires around from the ESC and........ got the same!

What I ended up doing was actually flipping the gear inside the axle pumpkin. The build manual shows the gear on the left, but mine are now on the right.

Did the same experiment and forwards is now 42, reverse 35  👍

15 hours ago, MrPeaski said:

I had a strange motor running issue that I forgot to document at the time. Like yours it seemed to drive faster going backwards!

I found out by strapping a Garmin wheel hub speed sensor to one of the wheels. Forwards it read something like 35mph (obviously un-calibrated) and in reverse 42mph. I swapped the wires around from the ESC and........ got the same!

What I ended up doing was actually flipping the gear inside the axle pumpkin. The build manual shows the gear on the left, but mine are now on the right.

Did the same experiment and forwards is now 42, reverse 35  👍

Hmm, I was careful to assemble the axles as shown in the diagrams, I swapped the motor wires around (I definetly had + on ESC to - on motor) and its much better now, ESC limits reverse % of full throttle I think anyway.

Had to trun the brake down, with no body it was standing on its nose when stopping.

Might still just get bigger waterproof box, I have a few laying around from other projects, and be done with it, not startd with lights but I am sure that is a lot of wires - part of my desire to keep the telemetry was I was going to do the same as you and take a live feed for headlights and tail lights and just T the monitoring lead with a JSC plug or whatever they are called.

8 hours ago, whitecitadel said:

Hmm, I was careful to assemble the axles as shown in the diagrams, I swapped the motor wires around (I definetly had + on ESC to - on motor) and its much better now, ESC limits reverse % of full throttle I think anyway.

Had to trun the brake down, with no body it was standing on its nose when stopping.

Might still just get bigger waterproof box, I have a few laying around from other projects, and be done with it, not startd with lights but I am sure that is a lot of wires - part of my desire to keep the telemetry was I was going to do the same as you and take a live feed for headlights and tail lights and just T the monitoring lead with a JSC plug or whatever they are called.

Mine was built exactly the same as you have to the build instructions, but probably just a quirk of my motor. It runs well as it is now so as long as your runs well I wouldn't worry about it

I posted a YouTube link on page 13, showing how to program the Hobbywing 1080 and ran with the settings from it but eased up on the brake as yes, it is fierce!

10 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Im calling it done with the DC1, so it has heavy wheels fitted with nice rubber, the stock shocks have been improved a lot, to a point they are pretty good.

LED light kit built and fitted, i am powering lights from balance plug on lipo, also i have relocated battery to rear mount as this truck has lots of weight over the front, and silly scale number plates on it

DC 2.JPG

DC.JPG

DC 1.JPG

Looking good 👍

• Like 1

Been for a run with the DC1, I am a little disappointed with it's performance, very top heavy despite adding weight low down, it rolls over dead easy, seems to have fair power in low range, gets hung up pretty easy and it's a noisy thing at low speed, kinda transmission noise, yes mesh is spot on, I don't rate it as a crawler, it's more a trail truck, should have a video up sometime in next 24 hours

• Like 1

Now you’ve got a base setting  you can try different setups to see what works and what doesn’t.You can try lowering the ride height, shock oil, shock position, more weight in the wheels etc 

And what storms said 👍

Looking forward to seeing the vid .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Been for a run with the DC1, I am a little disappointed with it's performance, very top heavy despite adding weight low down, it rolls over dead easy, seems to have fair power in low range, gets hung up pretty easy and it's a noisy thing at low speed, kinda transmission noise, yes mesh is spot on, I don't rate it as a crawler, it's more a trail truck, should have a video up sometime in next 24 hours

I've been waiting for this comment 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

I've been waiting for this comment 🤣

In your honest opinion......crawler or trail truck?

Its early days with it, a nice enough rig with limitations  are my initial thoughts, its not perfect and needs some more mods, more weight low down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

In your honest opinion......crawler or trail truck?

Its early days with it, a nice enough rig with limitations  are my initial thoughts, its not perfect and needs some more mods, more weight low down

A trail truck that's capable of some light crawling. I think it's price point puts it firmly in the buy and build on it category.

• Like 2

What @everclear1984 said but i prefer the DC1 over the Wendigo which is the better crawler and i look at something and wonder will the DC1 do it 

Maybe thats why i prefer the DC1 its more of a challenge :good:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Looks a good place to run em in Jack :good:

Thanks mate, but to be honest the place looks good but looks can be deceptive, hoping to get a run at Copley woods next weekend with the DC1, treat it like you guys are saying....a trail truck that can do a bit of crawling, what i do know is i got a very good buy with it, it looks smart and works fine if kept within its limits

• Like 1

Who's running a aftermarket winch bumper? (says the man with the still unpainted body 🙃)

I am not a fan of the original bumper chunky look, and will need to drill it to fit the winch I already bought, underneath does not look good wih the bumper structure and where the holes are needed and I am debating getting something else designed for winch to just bolt it all on and have a stronger mounting.

Something like this that is not too aggresive rock crawler or clearly for a Defender...

bumper.jpg.6d9bc224109e22b9fbf0f39487660bc1.jpg