• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

My sons 1 was noisey but he adjusted the mesh and it quietened it down a lot , there is a high spot on the spur gear on ours and he adjusted it to that 

I have since changed my 1's motor and its now noisier than it was maybe i will have a look soon lol 

It might even be down to what noise the motor makes as well mate :cheers:

• Like 1

I posted a video of my DC-1's first run and @Stormbringer mentioned that the drivetrain was a bit noisy compared to his and @Yrkoon due to the high spot.

I live meshed it while the motor was running and it is a lot better now, but apart from a 1/18 scale FTX mini have nothing to compare it to.

For the high spot itself, I wonder the gear itself is perfectly round, but the hole in the spur is a fraction oversize compared to its axle and no matter where we put it it will always have a high spot.

I'm not about to pull it apart to check, but food for thought

Edited by MrPeaski
  • Like 2

Banging my head on a brick wall with this Hobao, ordered some shocks but 2 issues, first they are a pile of crud and they dont fit, it wont be out at the weekend unless i can rebuild the other pair of stock ones and refit them, this is looking like the world record for getting a new RC and not using it

13 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Banging my head on a brick wall with this Hobao, ordered some shocks but 2 issues, first they are a pile of crud and they dont fit, it wont be out at the weekend unless i can rebuild the other pair of stock ones and refit them, this is looking like the world record for getting a new RC and not using it

Did it not come with 4 working shocks? I know the stock ones are pretty awful, but they're useable until you sort something else out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Hey that's my world record... 😉

Stupid job and family getting in the way of RC fun... still not soldered my motor up or sprayed the shell!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im pleased to say i now have the original Hobao shocks re fitted, all working about 150% better than out of box, i put a notch in the piston and played about with oil weights till it seemed much better, also i have rightly or wrongly relocated the battery tray to the rear, this DC1 is very front heavy so gonna run it with rear lipo to start with

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Nice view mate, out of interest do you use battery tray to rear or middle, i have moved mine to the rear mount as the car seems really front heavy, i think mine is ready to hit the off roading now

Middle, I don't have any issues with it being front heavy, it descends almost as well as it climbs 🙂

• Like 1

Ok, found some suitable wire in the old RC box, it’s “ultimate” so must be good, stuck XT60 on as I find them easier than deans and ran it on the bench. Mesh is noisy with pinion and spur, think like others there are high spots so I backed it out fractionally and it seems better.

82C244A1-3BD2-4333-A7FD-B6BD9169B7A8.thumb.jpeg.d8adf2964f1a6914152d37e34cd4bdfd.jpeg

Just bench testing so ignore cable spaghetti, eagle eyed readers will spot my latest problem that the receiver does not fit inside the box 🙄

DF1D3A22-C304-4717-9914-6405D4AD76FD.thumb.jpeg.9e17440309cc863e6c6ac720dd1f61c6.jpeg

The antenna have a rubber fitting and even though the receiver box is a bit deformed it’s not going easily fit once that’s sorted. Luckily I bought another 6 channel receiver with the transmitter so will see if it fits.

Am I right that I should set some limits on the steering servo to avoid the most extreme angles on the drive shafts?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whitecitadel said:

Ok, found some suitable wire in the old RC box, it’s “ultimate” so must be good, stuck XT60 on as I find them easier than deans and ran it on the bench. Mesh is noisy with pinion and spur, think like others there are high spots so I backed it out fractionally and it seems better.

82C244A1-3BD2-4333-A7FD-B6BD9169B7A8.thumb.jpeg.d8adf2964f1a6914152d37e34cd4bdfd.jpeg

Just bench testing so ignore cable spaghetti, eagle eyed readers will spot my latest problem that the receiver does not fit inside the box 🙄

DF1D3A22-C304-4717-9914-6405D4AD76FD.thumb.jpeg.9e17440309cc863e6c6ac720dd1f61c6.jpeg

The antenna have a rubber fitting and even though the receiver box is a bit deformed it’s not going easily fit once that’s sorted. Luckily I bought another 6 channel receiver with the transmitter so will see if it fits.

Am I right that I should set some limits on the steering servo to avoid the most extreme angles on the drive shafts?

Glad to see it coming along 👍 I would limit the steering ever so slightly. As you said, you risk snapping a drive pin if you don't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Glad to see it coming along 👍 I would limit the steering ever so slightly. As you said, you risk snapping a drive pin if you don't.

Thanks, it seems to bind right at the end of travel tiny bit, I think the controller has limits in the menu if I can find them, will dial it back to 95% or something and see how it turns.

Worlds slowest build continues… I did put aside a nice large cardboard box for spray booth to protect the garage floor yesterday… getting there!

• Like 1