• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

we walked nearly 3km but i think trucks was nearer 5km lol :good:

yeh true the amount of times we stopped to see if trucks could get up something were numerous, and our watches were only tracking us not the trucks 🙂

i should buy a spare huwaei band 4 pro and enable gps then put it on one of the trucks lol

was good exercise for my heart though and fun , should take a spare lipo each next time and explore more 🙂

edit:

oh just had an idea i could put my old s3 under the shell with gps and strava on it lol

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

I had a problem where the roof bar light was starting to pull the screws/nuts through the roof after some tumbles so was looking for a fix then i came across this on Amazon 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FWVBFXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so it arrived yesterday and started fitting it last night and finished it off today

gyYWx07.jpg

Let there be light

cfz2b7d.jpg

not a bad bit of kit and its metal :good:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2021 at 20:15, Stormbringer said:

Good to see it out again mate :good:

How have you secured the ladders to roof rack ?

They're secured with Velcro for now, couldn't think of a better way to get them on and off quickly.

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 1

Is that your first run with the 3d printed shock pistons. What did you think?

Looks like you've got a really good handle on the 3d printing, those ladders look tidy

Edited by MrPeaski
spelling!!

8 hours ago, MrPeaski said:

Is that your first run with the 3d printed shock pistons. What did you think?

Looks like you've got a really good handle on the 3d printing, those ladders look tidy

They shock pistons were a huge improvement, thank you 🙂

I've had huge success with the printing but for the past week or so I've been battling an issue that I'm still yet to resolve. No more printing for me until it's sorted 😡

• Like 1

2 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

They shock pistons were a huge improvement, thank you 🙂

I've had huge success with the printing but for the past week or so I've been battling an issue that I'm still yet to resolve. No more printing for me until it's sorted 😡

Anything I can help with?

3 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

Anything I can help with?

I'll pm you some pics of a test print. I'm dropping the printer off to the guy I bought it from today for him to take a look it. He's a really nice guy, super helpful, hopefully he'll get it sorted 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

looking good there mate :good:

what tyres are you running at moment ?

I think the same tyres that you  are using and a lot of people here on the dc-1,  they  do not have a lot of grip on loose dirt and sand, maybe I swap them for some proline hyrax or so if I when I have some money to spend on rc stuff, for now I run the car with these tyres.

51009119496_34c958776d_k.jpg

• Like 1

yeh they do look like mine and agree dont grip as well in loose soil/sand :good:

just wondering if stiffer/better foams would make them work better ?

2 hours ago, MrPeaski said:

I've been a little busy with mine recently.

Despite having made replacement shock pistons which have made an improvement, I thought it could still be better.

So......I decided to try and mod the shock itself. I quite like the Gmade XD piggy back shocks as I mentioned earlier in this thread but reasoned that they wouldn't fit due to the way the shock are fitted to the DC-1

My attention turned to the Gmade Aeration shocks instead (http://www.gmade.net/xd-aeration-shock-93mm-2/ ) so set about modding the top cap of the stock shock. Basically I drilled a tiny hole in the top cap, overfilled the shock and then pushed the shaft to top and fitted a tiny screw.

The first one seemed ok, so I did the rest. Unfortunately, the tiny screws didn't seal very well, so the oil wept past and air got pulled in. No amount of thread lock or superglue would stop it happening.

Gave my self a slap and bit the bullet for new shocks.

A couple had been recommended, like the Traxxas TRX4 GTS shocks or Element RC FT enduro shocks, but i decided to ignore that and get the Gmade Aerations instead.

First things to notice is they are so smooth its unreal. Got them set up at low pressure so the shock shaft actually gets pulled in without a spring fitted!

Secondly they are big! I got the 93mm version so lengthwise they are the same, but the body is 14mm in diameter compared to the 10mm of the kit body.

And that's where things got.....interesting . The lower mount doesn't fit as the included ball joint is too big, swapping it for the stock one makes it loose in the 'eye' so changed the whole eye/ball joint for the stock ones.

The top mount doesn't fit (I can feel another slap coming here) as the body is hitting the shock tower well before it meets the mounting point. After a bit (lot) of head scratching I came up with an alternative, that I designed and 3d printed. It took 10 iterations, but finally settled on something that works

Untitled.jpg.48520d6a99f86e6d54148a118fe67045.jpg

Here is one of the fronts. The white bit is one of the spare pistons, I'm using as a washer to hold it in place

20210516_115144.thumb.jpg.c7e742d3d3e353d86e8f491bd7bf3040.jpg

With a stock one (and failed mod) for comparison

20210516_115222.thumb.jpg.babde7bb3b96332bd1da4f1404cff872.jpg

The only thing I have noticed is that the shocks are not completely vertical, and are further out at the top compared to the bottom (view from the back)

20210516_115343.thumb.jpg.af9c4b8e5d6e91e6e6098efdaeefa1d1.jpg

I have yet to give them a proper run, but bashing around the garden, they are very smooth and the body now doesn't seem to lean to one side when it comes to rest.

This is with very little preload on the springs, about 5 turn of the collar. Think I was using about 10-15 on the dual rates previously fitted

I really like the gmade shocks, I use them on 3 other cars I have, for the hoboa I am thinking buying these dual spring ones because the body is smaller then the normal ones. https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=238273&lang=eng

Edited by No brains
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can anybody please tell me where in UK I can buy the 4 link servo on axle kit please believe the part number is H230125 search on Google but the only company that comes up is euro rc I would rather buy from UK company if possible.