• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Horizon Hobby UK website temporarily unavailable due to Brexit...

Tony

As I understand it, the UK doesn't have a free trade deal in the classic sense, there's still an entire customs declaration and handling process even though no customs are taken. I believe the reason being is because the EU will not accept certain imports, so to stop them slipping through, everything has to be declared.  So you'll now have to pay handling fees and every company will have to fill out paperwork, however no knows what that specific form is on either side of the border. 

Edited by mond
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Customs are taken on everything above £135 though. Both duty and VAT. 

To be fair, it could be worse.

If you order from somewhere with free shipping or at least cheap shipping, just order big orders in several parts and avoid fees anyway.

If I have understood it correctly.

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

If you order from somewhere with free shipping or at least cheap shipping, just order big orders in several parts and avoid fees anyway.

I'll be entirely honest, i haven't grasped it in detail yet, so i'm not going to blame companies for that either. Especially with that short notice. They'll probably resume service (albeit more expensive) somewhere mid/end january, my guess. 

And, sure it could be worse. Could be much better though, as well. 

6 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I'll be entirely honest, i haven't grasped it in detail yet, so i'm not going to blame companies for that either. Especially with that short notice. They'll probably resume service (albeit more expensive) somewhere mid/end january, my guess. 

And, sure it could be worse. Could be much better though, as well. 

In all honesty I think we'll end up paying maximum import fees from everywhere.

Lets be honest, the UK doesn't HAVE to charge import fees at all as far as I'm aware, it's just greed in the first place because we aren't buying something MADE in the UK... Mostly because it's 99% crap! :lol: 

21 minutes ago, DAL3D said:

4 hours until we leave at 11pm and the govt publishes guidance. Plenty of time to implement! 🤣

https://t.co/UD95Dqe8uL?amp=1

I actually feel sorry for business who has to work though New Year to read this and make changes to their business. :(

42 minutes ago, Tony said:

I actually feel sorry for business who has to work though New Year to read this and make changes to their business. :(

bUt ThEy hAd 5 1/2 yEaRs tO PrEpArE. 

image.png.647b2bc3fcf35f726c591ce2b4ed93c6.png

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Haha 3

On 31/12/2020 at 17:13, Oh How Original said:

Nope.

In its wisdom the UK government has removed the minimum allowance, the EU is planning on introduction something similar later in the year. This means if you buy a part that's £1 posted, you will have to pay the 20% vat owed on it, plus the £8 processing fee from the post office.

They have also introduced a new system for foreign shops selling into the UK, something that no other country in the world does.  As customs will be a bit busy this year the UK government had decided that the shops should do the work for them. The shops themselves have to collect the vat at point of purchase, so no parcels marked with a low value or as a gift. To do this means the shops around the world have to be vat registered with HMRC in the UK, and to post on the vat collected each month. It does mean while we will always have to pay the vat we owe on every item, at least we no longer have the royal mail processing fee to pay.

This gives shops two options, either add on 20% to the price of goods and swallow the costs of processing the fees, or just stop selling to the UK. 

I know RCMart and  Aliexpress now add 20% at their checkout, we will just have to see whether others that have suspended sales to the UK will start up again or not.

I do know a lot of EU bike parts suppliers have just decided to stop selling to the UK.

Of course no one knows yet what happens if a seller send something to the UK without charging the vat, or how customs will tell if the vat has been paid. If parcels come through as before, with us paying vat as before, then expect the system to collapse as shops which do collect vat will be operating at a disadvantage to one's operating legally.