• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

everclear1984's Hobao DC1 build

3 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

I remember when you used to like speed and you totally took your firestorm out all the time doing jumps and whatnot, now you are into crawlers 😂 but I thoroughly enjoyed watching that last vid that I'm on MS looking at crawlers 😂

You know you want to. Though be warned, they're quite addictive 🤣 I just love how they look, lol.

Man, I miss the days of beating on the Firestorm! Think I might have to go do something silly with the Savage tomorrow :D

14 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

You know you want to. Though be warned, they're quite addictive 🤣 I just love how they look, lol.

Man, I miss the days of beating on the Firestorm! Think I might have to go do something silly with the Savage tomorrow :D

I wouldn't mind but don't know the first thing about them 😁

Forgot you got a nitro savage, that will do for speed 😂

Read your thread from beginning, the part you thought the screw and bearing didn't come with the kit till you found them in another bag, I think the company you bought it from did it on purpose to give you a heart attack 😂

Edited by froggy8
  • Haha 1

I have duel rate springs on mine and some metal wheels!! When I put my diffs together I put loads of grease between bearings on main shafts an then thin smear on diff cover!! I hoped grease would make a semi water tight seal when assembled!! Love mine keeps up with scx10s and trx4s I want a quicker motor though!! Want a little bit of roost when I gun accelerator

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, rob bark said:

I have duel rate springs on mine and some metal wheels!! When I put my diffs together I put loads of grease between bearings on main shafts an then thin smear on diff cover!! I hoped grease would make a semi water tight seal when assembled!! Love mine keeps up with scx10s and trx4s I want a quicker motor though!! Want a little bit of roost when I gun accelerator

What turn motor are you running? I went for 35t and 3s it seems plenty fast enough!

19 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

I wouldn't mind but don't know the first thing about them 😁

Forgot you got a nitro savage, that will do for speed 😂

Read your thread from beginning, the part you thought the screw and bearing didn't come with the kit till you found them in another bag, I think the company you bought it from did it on purpose to give you a heart attack 😂

The Savage was converted to brushless almost immediately, lol. It's an absolute beast now :D

There were a few momens while building it that I thought parts were missing, but they always turned up eventually 🤣

On 24/11/2020 at 22:29, rob bark said:

I'm running 35t motor to but I only use NiMH packs at minute not upgraded to lipo yet!!

I would look into changing to lipo before changing motors mate,  it will be much better

but when you do  change your motor have a look at red-winches and get ya self hobby Holmes motor 👍

Edited by jjh23

The dc1 looks really well built, 

the 2 things that jump out to me are, the chassis rail look really solid, I bet there’s no flex in them

and I’m surprised there’s no UJ joint on the shaft between the gearbox and transfer, maybe normal on that set up type but I’ve not looked at them before

how are you finding it compared to the outback?

1 hour ago, jjh23 said:

The dc1 looks really well built, 

the 2 things that jump out to me are, the chassis rail look really solid, I bet there’s no flex in them

and I’m surprised there’s no UJ joint on the shaft between the gearbox and transfer, maybe normal on that set up type but I’ve not looked at them before

how are you finding it compared to the outback?

Night and day compared to the Outback. Don't get me wrong, the Outback (with some modifications) can go most of the places the DC1 can, but the DC1 is far more robust and enjoyable to drive. I don't think there's any need for a 2 speed gearbox, at least on 3s. I'll be running it on 2s next, maybe it'll be needed then

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

the lights really set it off mate :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, hoping to get out for a night crawl soon. I was going for function rather than aesthetics but I'm really pleased with how they came out.

Been eyeing up portal axles, all of this is quite new to me so I'm not quite sure how much a faff it'd be fitting them 🤔

First little upgrades made today. First I fitted dual rate springs, as even with a super light oil the suspension is fairly stiff. I also went for the 4 link suspension kit with an axle mounted servo, I personally didn't find the chassis mounted servo with panhard an issue but I've read that it's a worthwhile upgrade, so I thought why not? Lol. More changes coming tomorrow :)

IMG20201202145112IMG20201203223333IMG_20201203_225650

• Like 2

Another very simple, yet effective modification done today. These nuts needlessly stick down and like to hang up on tree roots. Simply flipping them around so the screw heads are on the bottom doesn't really achieve anything as the screw heads stick down just as far. So, new M3x20mm hardware fitted = much better :)

IMG20201204122815

So much better!

IMG20201204123207IMG20201204123418

• Like 3

Good fun today! I tested it's side hilling abilities and was hugely surprised at how capable it is. It also had a few really cringe worthy tumbles and came away completely unscathed, even the mirrors survived! Lol. It was too cold to get much footage worth sharing but I'll see what I can piece together.

IMG_20201205_164522_800IMG_20201205_171535_146IMG_20201205_171633_635

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ninetiesbeard said:

Quite like the dc-1 as a platform, surprised it didnt get more attention on release really

Like most areas of the hobby Hobao often gets looked down on.  I don't crawl or trail but the DC1 keeps getting my attention.  MS seem to have the best price too:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-dc1-1-10th-crawler-kit-g-wagon-style/rc-car-products/427474

• Like 3

On 06/12/2020 at 10:49, capri-boy said:

Like most areas of the hobby Hobao often gets looked down on.  I don't crawl or trail but the DC1 keeps getting my attention.  MS seem to have the best price too:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-dc1-1-10th-crawler-kit-g-wagon-style/rc-car-products/427474

I had a TRX-4 in my basket for weeks before stumbling across the DC1 on MS. The body was the selling point for me, it was exactly what I was after. The TRX-4 would have been way overkill for what I'll use it for, as much as I'd like one I'd rather spend the extra money elsewhere.