• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Lasernut U4 Owners

Ag100

34 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

good vids mate and good to see your enjoying it :good:

Cheers, it’s good fun, it’s getting used as intended, then cleaned and polished 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why oh why do I want a Lasernut!

I watch the videos and can’t  imagine a better proportioned RC buggy or Rock Racer. The performance also looks stellar!

I’m not wanting to diss the Lazernut, I want one but can’t quite pull the trigger.

Please, have the nay sayers really over emphasised the weakness in the transmission and inability to keep it’s wheels on?

People don’t report the DBPro as having the same transmission issues, even though it is just a shorter, smaller wheeled version of the same basic design?

Is it that the greater torque of the motor combined with wheel size is just too much for a 1/10 drivetrain?

Are there real world fixes for the reported driveshaft, diff, bulkhead and wheel nut issues?

Will there be a V2 with issues ruled out?

If there is, I’ll be at the front of the queue, along with many others I’m certain!

The Lazernut is an itch that I’m struggling not to scratch.

Love yours and the videos!!!!

10 hours ago, SWF said:

Why oh why do I want a Lasernut!

I watch the videos and can’t  imagine a better proportioned RC buggy or Rock Racer. The performance also looks stellar!

I’m not wanting to diss the Lazernut, I want one but can’t quite pull the trigger.

Please, have the nay sayers really over emphasised the weakness in the transmission and inability to keep it’s wheels on?

People don’t report the DBPro as having the same transmission issues, even though it is just a shorter, smaller wheeled version of the same basic design?

Is it that the greater torque of the motor combined with wheel size is just too much for a 1/10 drivetrain?

Are there real world fixes for the reported driveshaft, diff, bulkhead and wheel nut issues?

Will there be a V2 with issues ruled out?

If there is, I’ll be at the front of the queue, along with many others I’m certain!

The Lazernut is an itch that I’m struggling not to scratch.

Love yours and the videos!!!!

I will try and answer your questions:

I bought mine after reading every review and watching all the videos, so I new all the potential issues.

I stripped it down and checked the diff oil in all three diffs, they were all practically empty, I shimmed the centre but not the front or rear (an error it later turned out)

Both Vitavon and Tekno make alternative drive shafts, I went for the Vitavon as they also changed the hub carriers and steering knuckles to add bigger bearings.

I have had some great runs with it, but I have had two wheels come off on the same run, I should have used some lock tight on the nuts, since I have done this it has not happened again (also changed the nuts to nylock serrated). I also had an issue with the front diff, one of the sun gears lost a tooth, I have now shimmed this as I should have in beginning.

I’m not sure about the V2, hopefully they are addressing the issues though

I really love the look and the way it drives and as I said I already new I would have to change parts, so if you are prepared to do that too then it’s a great car

Ultimately I think they are pushing the limits of the drive train with 4s and the huge heavy wheels, but everyone who has sorted there diff and axles seem to be running them fine now.

I also intended to keep this for a long time so spending money on it was not an issue, for me it’s all about the look of it, I don’t get a huge amount of time to drive it, but when I do it is fantastic.

If you are happy to strip it all down and sort the issues yourself then go for it, or as you say wait for a V2 to come out, though even then, with any RTR I would still check all the diffs, as QC for a lot of brands seems pretty low.

• Like 2

Thanks Stormbringer and Ag100!

I’m going to look at the price of the Vitavon drive shafts and a method for shimming the diff’s, just out of interest of course.

Thanks again for your comments.

24 minutes ago, SWF said:

Thanks Stormbringer and Ag100!

I’m going to look at the price of the Vitavon drive shafts and a method for shimming the diff’s, just out of interest of course.

Thanks again for your comments.

Ref shims, I just bought some from Accu, will have a look what size I got, just added an extra one to each gear, I have also upped the diff fluid to 500k Center and 100k front and rear, seems to drive well like this turns well, and powers out of corners nicely, standard is 20 centre 5k rear and 10k front, too thin in my opinion 

Oh, and this really isn’t a basher, if you want massive jumps and skate park action, I personally don’t think this is the car. The guys using these in the USA, are using them for the the U4 racing, Deseret type tracks with some rocks thrown in, where I use it it’s very Sandy, loose soil and it is excellent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good run with the Lasernut today, very dusty!, also tried the new Caddx Orca camera, it was just held on with Velcro, so it was really bouncing around, so I can’t be held responsible for any motion sickness you may have while watching😀

https://youtube.com/shorts/ADbigyq98qU

Edited by Ag100
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

good vids but I see what you meant about the camera bouncing around everything is still swimming around here lol :insane:

Yes, I have a case on the way, and it does have a stability setting on the video, but Velcro and jumping don’t really work, camera is great though👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a proper case and mount for the Caddx Orca camera, stuck it on the front of the Lasernut and took it to the local woods, nice and dry loose surface.

Edited by Ag100
  • Like 2

On 13/02/2021 at 03:18, Ag100 said:

Fitted the Proline Hyrax and 2.2 Beadlock wheels, there is a bit of a bind at the front when on full lock though, so have some new deeper hubs on the way for the wheels.

moved the little scale MSD ignition modules and fitted some little fire Extingushers.

0693B665-CBB9-43EE-890D-E3C017111762.jpeg

620CAC0F-C518-4AFC-856E-FB060F76AE9A.jpeg

1F655B46-7ECE-4EB3-BEA2-2827B92C6C73.jpeg

722BC815-6975-4D61-AFD8-E093CB207679.jpeg

16558717-64E6-4E14-8323-1C692089ED4C.jpeg

3DD69A36-58B3-4CBF-A9C6-C977E3821190.jpeg

2D8DB6EF-F26A-49AE-9B1C-96922DD0B8C5.jpeg

54B5BAFF-15DF-440D-B772-C603103E04BB.jpeg

216013FB-13EA-4754-8C23-5D9DE69CE0CE.jpeg

3C18650D-4EEC-4357-9FC0-B21B6C151F85.jpeg

Where did you buy those 2.2 Beadlock wheels?  

And the height of hubs?

Thank you for your great upgrade progress post.  Very helpful. Thanks.

Edited by Rils
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rils said:

Where did you buy those 2.2 Beadlock wheels?  

And the height of hubs?

Thank you for your great upgrade progress post.  Very helpful. Thanks.

I got the bead locks from Ali express:

£31.77  36% Off | 4PCS Metal 2.2 Beadlock Wheel Rim Tires Set for 1/10 RC Crawler Car Traxxas TRX4 TRX6 Axial SCX10 RR10 Parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLmvQuB

I also need to get some longer spacers, my wheels came with 15mm, but because of the difference in the Vitavon steering knuckles, I ended up getting some 18mm ones, can’t seem to find them on Ali Express now.

14 hours ago, Ag100 said:

I got the bead locks from Ali express:

£31.77  36% Off | 4PCS Metal 2.2 Beadlock Wheel Rim Tires Set for 1/10 RC Crawler Car Traxxas TRX4 TRX6 Axial SCX10 RR10 Parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLmvQuB

I also need to get some longer spacers, my wheels came with 15mm, but because of the difference in the Vitavon steering knuckles, I ended up getting some 18mm ones, can’t seem to find them on Ali Express now.

Thank you. 😁

hi, i bought one a couple of wheeks ago and had some issues with the central diff,solved it and adjusted the sterring top ends, i know its much but i wonder if you could  post or send me the links of the big part upgrades you made like the bearings,steering,shafts 

Ps: your lasernut must be the best one out there,its incredible

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, daniel.min said:

hi, i bought one a couple of wheeks ago and had some issues with the central diff,solved it and adjusted the sterring top ends, i know its much but i wonder if you could  post or send me the links of the big part upgrades you made like the bearings,steering,shafts 

Ps: your lasernut must be the best one out there,its incredible

Hi, thank you.

Glad you sorted yours, it’s a great car, but seems to be like all RTR, it needs a few bits sorting, as you have discovered the diffs need shiming. Some have had issues with the drive shafts breaking, but I think this may have been addressed on the newer ones, the steering servo is a bit underpowered, so you may want to upgrade that, but see how you get on.

These are the main parts I upgraded

Vitavon Axles, steering knuckles and Hubs, I got mine though @YetiScore83on here.

Exotec  Steering

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/exotek-racing-silver-7075-aluminium-hd-steering-set-with-bearings-losi-tenacity-/rc-car-products/447449

Bearings are from 

https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1998

Servo is the Reefs Raw 500

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?cID=&s=reefs+raw+500

Wheels are from Ali Express

£31.25  37% Off | 4PCS Metal 2.2 Beadlock Wheel Rim Tires Set for 1/10 RC Crawler Car Traxxas TRX4 TRX6 Axial SCX10 RR10 Parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPSRcC3

let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by Ag100

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the Vitavon Center transmission case and front bulkhead, still have the rear bulkhead to do, but ran out of time

DF05897E-8DD4-47F7-83CD-C9828F77E313.jpeg

0E453F8D-97B3-4A2F-B7B2-6F2EDE1C72E7.jpeg

E6E48E46-BE2C-4D84-8917-D273FBB3391C.jpeg

F1E146AD-A0FB-46E2-A5EB-A97E2C86FFAF.jpeg

CF012FDB-810C-46C7-9DE4-2F614E2E1A94.jpeg

1B2D41F1-A046-4074-8CA3-84021AB5F984.jpeg

• Like 1