• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Totally confused beginner

Tabbie

15 hours ago, James RC said:

Thank you for the link I've ordered this for my 5 year old just mine to order once in stock.

He will love it, his birthday is in December but I will give it to him early before the UK weather gets junk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabbie said:

Thank you for the link I've ordered this for my 5 year old just mine to order once in stock.

He will love it, his birthday is in December but I will give it to him early before the UK weather gets junk.

Yeah no worries, you're welcome. 

Oh awesome, he'll be thrilled i'm sure👍

On 19/10/2020 at 21:10, m4inbrain said:

Just make sure that, in case you do go for one of the suggested ones, you get a 2s (7.4v) lipo/power pack, rather than a 3s (11.1v) lipo/power pack in the beginning. The 3s pack is what you want to be graduating to, because these trucks do become pretty rapid on 3s. 

Am going to order the team associated rival mt10 probably next week,would it make sense to purchase a 7.4v and a 11.1v battery or is that pointless? Am guessing the charger is the same?

As a beginner is there anything else I need to be buying?

I appreciate your input thank you.

ill wait until it comes then measure what batteries you can buy it may come with either 2x7.4v 1500 or 3000 2s if you can ill replace them with better batteries even if it still a 2s lipo as long as they still have the same connector you should be able to charge with the charger just make sure you buy 2 of the same voltage and both are the same mah

ie 2s 7.4v 5300mah or 5.3amps and not 2s 7.4v 1800mah and a 2s 7.4v 3000 mah

Sent from my RCT6613W23PU using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Gampla said:

ill wait until it comes then measure what batteries you can buy it may come with either 2x7.4v 1500 or 3000 2s if you can ill replace them with better batteries even if it still a 2s lipo as long as they still have the same connector you should be able to charge with the charger just make sure you buy 2 of the same voltage and both are the same mah

ie 2s 7.4v 5300mah or 5.3amps and not 2s 7.4v 1800mah and a 2s 7.4v 3000 mah

Thanks, am going to purchase from modelsport with the power pack its been recommended as a beginner not to buy the lipos 3s bundle .

Obviously 1 battery isn't going to be enough, am guessing I  should buy the lipo 2s bundle then add a lipo 3 later on?

Sorry this is totally new to me.

Thanks, am going to purchase from modelsport with the power pack its been recommended as a beginner not to buy the lipos 3s bundle .
Obviously 1 battery isn't going to be enough, am guessing I  should buy the lipo 2s bundle then add a lipo 3 later on?
I doubt the ESC will be able to run 2x3s that maybe need an upgrade to a brushless ESC combo

1 hour ago, Tabbie said:

Don't worry, all good. I'm sure Gampla is trying to help as well, though he did make a mistake here. I'm sure he thought you were talking about the WLToys, not the MT10.

The MT10 will come with a Gens Ace 4000mah 50c 2s, or 4250 35c 3s pack depending on which of the power packs you chose. If i were you, i'd get the 2s (7.4v) bundle, drive it around a little and then decide whether or not you want a second 2s pack, or feel confident enough to handle 35% more power. Gampla and you for the last two exchanges talked completely past each other, so i'd disregard everything there and start anew. 

2s and 3s packs are cheap as chips really (around £25 max), so just get that 7.4v pack and go from there, no need to immediately buy a thousand things. At least, in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Don't worry, all good. I'm sure Gampla is trying to help as well, though he did make a mistake here. I'm sure he thought you were talking about the WLToys, not the MT10.

The MT10 will come with a Gens Ace 4000mah 50c 2s, or 4250 35c 3s pack depending on which of the power packs you chose. If i were you, i'd get the 2s (7.4v) bundle, drive it around a little and then decide whether or not you want a second 2s pack, or feel confident enough to handle 35% more power. Gampla and you for the last two exchanges talked completely past each other, so i'd disregard everything there and start anew. 

2s and 3s packs are cheap as chips really (around £25 max), so just get that 7.4v pack and go from there, no need to immediately buy a thousand things. At least, in my opinion.

Brilliant the rival mt10 is sold out again, once it's in stock I'll get it ordered.

Where is best to buy parts when I eventually crash it?

Our 5yr old WLtoys car has been shipped it's his birthday gift which is in December.

I didn't appreciate the speed of the thing until I watched some YouTube clips.

Thanks for everyone's help, I usually play around with classic cars so this is totally new to me.

• Like 1

I still stand by my message wltoys wont run long so ill upgrade the lipos maybe the motor esc too

3 minutes ago, Gampla said:

I still stand by my message wltoys wont run long so ill upgrade the lipos maybe the motor esc too

Thank you yes am not worried about the WLTOYS rc to be honest it'll be broken in days, I'll spend most of the time repairing it.

It was the rival mt10 I was concerned about, sorry if I've confused anyone.

Thank you yes am not worried about the WLTOYS rc to be honest it'll be broken in days, I'll spend most of the time repairing it.
It was the rival mt10 I was concerned about, sorry if I've confused anyone.
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/327147/?gclid=CjwKCAjw_sn8BRBrEiwAnUGJDsxHMIdYuJFgyPM0XJtBNi0xU4xCA-3N3MDXgK9gEH5QjfZKz9U9oRoCfYAQAvD_BwE

Tamiya tt02 mercades amg gt4 with trackstar 3520kv motor/esc on a 2s lipo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gampla said:

I'll check it out thanks at a quick glance it looks cheaper.  Win win....

1 hour ago, Gampla said:

That's great and all, but that's not what was asked, on top of being confusing even for me to read let alone a complete beginner. I don't mean this in a rude way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabbie said:

I'll check it out thanks at a quick glance it looks cheaper.  Win win....

It indeed is. I suggested modelsport because i remembered they offer those packages with charger etc, didn't know wheelspin does them too. In that case, yeah of course, go for that one. Wheelspin is a good shop too (from experience). I'd go with the 2 Cell Sport package (cheapest). 

• Thanks 1

That's great and all, but that's not what was asked, on top of being confusing even for me to read let alone a complete beginner. I don't mean this in a rude way. 
I'll dumb it down

Wltoys has **** capacity lipos run times 15-20 mins

Mt10 if you really want if it has plastic bearings upgrade to ball bearings with a rubber shielding

1 hour ago, Gampla said:

I'll dumb it down

Wltoys has **** capacity lipos run times 15-20 mins

Mt10 if you really want if it has plastic bearings upgrade to ball bearings with a rubber shielding

No reason to get snarky pal, there's nothing to "dumb down". If a complete beginner asks you something about a certain RC and you respond to that very posting, blasting information about something else entirely at the guy (which he's not able to tell, clearly), then it's just unnecessarily confusing. To then throw some stuff about 2x3s in the mix, suggesting he upgrades his MT10 to a brushless ESC, i mean, come on. 

I understand you want to help as much as i do, but that one just is confusing. 

In regards to bearings: i agree, have to be done eventually, but not necessarily in the beginning. For future reference:

https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1931

Full set, cheap enough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tabbie said:

I've now ordered both the rival mt10 and the wltoys rc,  thank you to everyone who posted especially @m4inbrain for your help and patience.

Without this forum and everyone's input I would have probably have given up.

That's great news Tabbie. I think the Rival is a solid choice, you won't be disappointed. And I know for sure that your son will have a blast with the WL 👍

This forum is indeed a great place to get help & advice about pretty much anything RC related.

Be sure to let us know how you find both RC's once you've got them both up & running :rc_car:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, namastebuzz said:

Good stuff. I'm sure you guys will have fun.

I guarantee your 5yr old will be better than you soon!

Sent from my MIX2 using Tapatalk

You are probably right he's definitely a quick learner but has the attention span of a flea. He's caught me watching rc action on YouTube and loves the idea.

I always wanted to get into rc cars as a kid, an older friend had a grasshopper but my parents didn't have the available funds.

On 19/10/2020 at 21:38, m4inbrain said:

I know, didn't complain or anything - just pointing out why i didn't suggest a brushed tamiya (like a lunchbox etc). They just don't hold up to the abuse that kids put them through. At least going by what i see when the kids around here take their RCs out. I don't have kids, so i can't judge it. 

Tamiya's of that ilk are stronger than the brushless Arrma's youve suggested? Mainky due to the brushed and slower speeds? I can appreciate people saying Tamiya's are out dated and over priced in comparison, but ive never known them as weak'?

5 minutes ago, Guns said:

Tamiya's of that ilk are stronger than the brushless Arrma's youve suggested? Mainky due to the brushed and slower speeds? I can appreciate people saying Tamiya's are out dated and over priced in comparison, but ive never known them as weak'?

Not once have i, or would i, suggest a brushless Arrma has the first RC for a 5 year old. Not sure what you're talking about.

My Rival mt10 arrived about an hour ago.

Really looking forward to get outdoors to use it, if it ever stops raining. 

I'd really like to buy a quality lipo charger with the option to charge two batteries at a time if possible, without spending £££££ budget ideally £100 ish.

There's afew 2nd hand IMAX B8's on Ebay or should I just buy new?

Obviously I've read loads of info on here but am still a complete novice, a basic easy to use charger is a must.

Last thing is Amazon ok to purchase lipo batteries?

Thanks peeps!

20201029_125000.jpg

• Like 2

It looks great Tabbie 👍 I'm expecting a new RC today or tomorrow aswell so also praying for the rain to stop!

A decent charger with which you can charge multiple lipos shouldn't have to cost you anywhere near £100. Something like this should do: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=408440&gclid=CjwKCAjw0On8BRAgEiwAincsHPWtmCOSzdZUbWT3vgmeY7FFOx81XAo6RyLGupBI6QWOHFaohjmafxoCm6YQAvD_BwE

Amazon is fine to buy the lipos from, as long as you're going to buy decent quality name brand ones,

but I would instead recommend a few other places with better prices, I.E. Ebay, Modelsport, Kings Lynn, Hobbyking

• Like 1