• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma kraton exb motor options

Jambo.26

3 minutes ago, Jambo.26 said:

Hi

waitkng for the exb to come back into stock. Was thinking of using a spectrum firma 160 bit unsure on a motor for this. I was thinking of going hobbywing or should I stay with a spektrum motor? 

thanks 

Spektrum electrics are made by others, unless you need the features the 160a is pretty much a hobbywing max6 I think.  I know what i'd do.  Motors are imo even less differentiated by price - so hobbywing / leopard / tekin / castle all safe bets

Depends entirely on how much money you have to burn, really.

The Firma 160 with an entire eco-system (batteries, charger) is nice, but incredibly expensive. For that kind of money you can get a new 1717 and the new MMX8s ESC, which i'd take over the Firma stuff any day. Overkill, absolutely - but since you're planning to use a 1/5th ESC anyway (the Firma 160 is a 1/5th ESC, my DBXL-E comes RTR with it), definitely the better choice. Runs very cool in the EXB too. That  said, if you really need the SMART stuff, i'd probably go for a Firma 150a (which is basically what the stock Kraton comes with, with the added SMART stuff). 

That said: the smartest choice would probably be a Max6 and a Rocket 4092. Reasonably priced and will definitely last longer than the diffs on the EXB. 

• Haha 3

• 3 years later...

Would a 4292 squeeze into a Kronos XTR? And would the Torox be enough @ 150a to handle it? It must be right on the limit. 

I'm supposing the 4292 would have more torque than the 2050kv Kuron 825 (4274). 🤔 Rated at 4200 watts, that's 1200 watts more than the Kuron 825!! 5.6hp Vs 4.0hp. 😝

I want to beat my PB of 0-60mph 3.8secs. I see a 1780kv which I was thinking might work well on 13, 14 &15 tooth pinions. Too much torque will just light my tyres up, but I can gear up and pull some higher speeds to compensate, or adjust punch on the ESC. 

A major limiting factor - besides mitigating additional heat produced - will be traction (or lack of it). I'm using Jetko belted tyres, but I think I may need to try and find an even softer compound on colder days when I can't get enough heat into them.  The ones I've got now get grippy during the summer, but not so much at this time of year.

On the other hand - power wheelies. They also destroy your chances of getting a good time! 🤣 It's a minefield trying to nail 0-60mph times under 4 seconds. That's why I'm aiming for 0-60mph in under 3 seconds in 2024. 😝

Help! 😅