• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Quantum Flux MT XT & XT Plus *page 9

tomr

On 24/07/2021 at 12:05, filiplondon said:

Hello from London! It's been around 2 months since purchased MT Flux. Love it so far! Managed to drain about 50 battery packs and no major problems, replaced front lower arms to Metsafil, oil in shocks to 500 ( front) and 1000 ( rear).  Quantum+ springs (9 coils), M5 washers. Lovely little car! Have a great weekend! 

mav dslr.jpg

mavdslr2.jpg

Where in London are you? Where do you normally go to bash around?

I've been enjoying my Quantum+ Flux. It is brutally quick for what I paid for it and I've had no real trouble with it besides having to replace the front arm that is notorious for breaking.

My issue is I'm not sure exactly where these things are best suited. I've taken it on gravel paths and it gets battered with loose gravel, you can here it getting into all the running gear so I'm avoiding loose gravel. Same issue with anything other than short dry grass, it gets everywhere. It'd need new tyres for road use so there's not really much point in that. 

I'm guessing it is best suited for dry hard pack dirt with no loose stones which I tend not to be able to find.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've mixed feelings about these cars. I have the Quantum Flux + in blue/grey running on 3S and it's an absolute blast. My daughter has the pink brushed MT and so far I've replaced motor, servo, couple of suspension arms and now the diff has packed up. Awful grinding sounds and loss of power to the front wheels.

I've got a feeling I might be better off stripping it for parts and keeping them for my Flux + and then picking up a cheap 2WD Tamiya buggy to put all the motor and electronics into.

I think my daughter is a bit intimidated by it's size and since it has broken a few times she has lost confidence in driving it. Its like every time she takes it out a part breaks and it ends play. With a 2WD buggy I'm hoping the lighter weight and simpler drive will make it more enjoyable 

2 hours ago, BaldyMan said:

I've mixed feelings about these cars. I have the Quantum Flux + in blue/grey running on 3S and it's an absolute blast. My daughter has the pink brushed MT and so far I've replaced motor, servo, couple of suspension arms and now the diff has packed up. Awful grinding sounds and loss of power to the front wheels.

I've got a feeling I might be better off stripping it for parts and keeping them for my Flux + and then picking up a cheap 2WD Tamiya buggy to put all the motor and electronics into.

I think my daughter is a bit intimidated by it's size and since it has broken a few times she has lost confidence in driving it. Its like every time she takes it out a part breaks and it ends play. With a 2WD buggy I'm hoping the lighter weight and simpler drive will make it more enjoyable 

Get daughter a Traxxas rustler, i here they are pretty bomb proof and you can get a clear shell to paint nice for her

22 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Get daughter a Traxxas rustler, i here they are pretty bomb proof and you can get a clear shell to paint nice for her

It's what to do with the old electronics really. I do fancy a Tamiya kit to build up. Something like a Grasshopper or a Rising Fighter. I know it's a downgrade but it's more of something that she can be a part of building and won't be so intimidated by.

I've looked at Rustlers and Bandits for a good 2WD option for her as well. It's mainly about cost and trying to recoup some of the money that was sunk into the Quantum MT

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 17:23, Stormbringer said:

Are the grub screws on drive shafts tight ?

Was the dif making any grindy crunchy sounds prior to it happening ?

No grinding noise, just the sound of the big cog spinning but not making contact. Anyway, I've taken it all apart, I think the small cog that connects directly to the diff came loose. Took everything apart, put it all back together again - seems to be ok. Haven't tested it properly as I'm still to put all the chassis back together.

Has anyone got any recommendations for street tyres or wheel and tyre combos? The Quantum + Flux has 14mm hex fittings which means there aren't a lot of options it seems and I'm struggling to find any adapters.

I'm not keen on completely changing the 14mm to 17mm as then just changing street to offroad wheels becomes a massive chore.

8 minutes ago, BaldyMan said:

Has anyone got any recommendations for street tyres or wheel and tyre combos? The Quantum + Flux has 14mm hex fittings which means there aren't a lot of options it seems and I'm struggling to find any adapters.

I'm not keen on completely changing the 14mm to 17mm as then just changing street to offroad wheels becomes a massive chore.

17mm adaptors are cheap on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254665978834?hash=item3b4b4673d2:g:bkgAAOSwZXFfHIKB

6 minutes ago, tomr said:

Thanks. I've seen these and was unsure about them. Are these absolutely fine and won't come loose? If this is the case then I'll just go out and get some and some wheels.

Do people bond the adapter to the wheel or just put them in and screw it tight?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/fastrax-1-8-truggy-eagle-mtd-on-5spoke-black-0-offset-pr--421232

I've had my eye on a set of these for street blasting

Edited by BaldyMan

1 minute ago, BaldyMan said:

Thanks. I've seen these and was unsure about them. Are these absolutely fine and won't come loose? If this is the case then I'll just go out and get some and some wheels.

Do people bond the adapter to the wheel or just put them in and screw it tight?

I’ve not used these but looking at them there’s nothing to come loose once the wheel is tightened 👍

1 minute ago, tomr said:

I’ve not used these but looking at them there’s nothing to come loose once the wheel is tightened 👍

I've got a Tamiya to build this weekend as I'm stripping the knackered brushed MT down for parts and using its radio gear and ESC.

Once that's done and the wife has forgotten how much I've spent I'll get the wheels and adapters ordered in

• Haha 1

Well the old pink Quantum in now a little Rising Fighter. The large ESC meant I couldn't install the driver but my daughter thinks they're naff anyway.

I was tempted to try and get the pinion gear off the 550 from the Quantum but the stock 540 is plenty for her. Any more and the car will become far too skittish. It's already quite twitchy as it is.

20211009_082611.jpg

20211009_082634.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BaldyMan said:

Well the old pink Quantum in now a little Rising Fighter. The large ESC meant I couldn't install the driver but my daughter thinks they're naff anyway.

I was tempted to try and get the pinion gear off the 550 from the Quantum but the stock 540 is plenty for her. Any more and the car will become far too skittish. It's already quite twitchy as it is.

20211009_082611.jpg

20211009_082634.jpg

I may end up going down a similar route with my flux 80+, run it till its a bit sorry for itself then use motor and esc in a speed runner 1/10 car

Just now, Jack Reacher said:

I may end up going down a similar route with my flux 80+, run it till its a bit sorry for itself then use motor and esc in a speed runner 1/10 car

I've got the blue and grey Flux +

Was looking for some road wheels for it but it looks like I'm gonna have to get 17mm hex adapters as nothing is available with the obscure 14mm hex fittings that come on it.

I love the truggy but it is massive compared to a 1/10 buggy and I always look at buggies and get buyers remorse. I think I'll eventually try to sell it on and get a Typhon or that Corally Radix that gets rave reviews. Buggies are just easier to toss in a backpack and take anywhere. I have to plan when I'm taking a truck anywhere 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BaldyMan said:

I've got the blue and grey Flux +

Was looking for some road wheels for it but it looks like I'm gonna have to get 17mm hex adapters as nothing is available with the obscure 14mm hex fittings that come on it.

I love the truggy but it is massive compared to a 1/10 buggy and I always look at buggies and get buyers remorse. I think I'll eventually try to sell it on and get a Typhon or that Corally Radix that gets rave reviews. Buggies are just easier to toss in a backpack and take anywhere. I have to plan when I'm taking a truck anywhere 

your  right about size of MT trucks, and dont be surprised if you have a hard time selling it, i have given up trying to sell mine, hence use it, abuse it, then rip the parts out

53 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

your  right about size of MT trucks, and dont be surprised if you have a hard time selling it, i have given up trying to sell mine, hence use it, abuse it, then rip the parts out

Well I've got half of the other truck that I can use for parts so I'm gonna just keep hold of it untilnita torn to shreds. Then I'll look at something else. I'd half a mind to buy a proper racing buggy but that might be something to get my son into in a couple of years

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All. I have a Quantum flux XT. Its running great but when I ran it the other day I had something strange. I was running it on a tarmac carpark and one section of the tarmac was wet. When I tried to accelerate full on the wet section, my XT just started spinning in circles on the spot. It makes me wonder if all the power was going to one of the front wheels. I know the flux xt doesnt have a centre diff only front and rear so potentially all my power is going forwards?? It doesnt wheely much either on a 2S 50C battery pack. Any ideas or advice for me? I was hoping that as it was 4WD, it should be able to cope with a bit of wet tarmac. Thanks Paul

Wet tarmac and a light truck with a BL motor, may as well be sheet ice.  The weight going through each tiny contact patch on an RC car is proportionately much less than a real 1:1 4WD car, exacerbated further when you throw in compound, pressures etc.  And if its doing donuts then the power isn't going to the front, its mostly going to the rear wheels.  I wouldn't worry personally, if it was doing same thing in the dry, then I'd be looking at why, but in wet, well that's what I'd expect, particularly with stock hard plastic tyres 🤪

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2021 at 16:39, bertberr said:

Wet tarmac and a light truck with a BL motor, may as well be sheet ice.  The weight going through each tiny contact patch on an RC car is proportionately much less than a real 1:1 4WD car, exacerbated further when you throw in compound, pressures etc.  And if its doing donuts then the power isn't going to the front, its mostly going to the rear wheels.  I wouldn't worry personally, if it was doing same thing in the dry, then I'd be looking at why, but in wet, well that's what I'd expect, particularly with stock hard plastic tyres 🤪

Ok thanks for the advice. Is a tyre upgrade normally worth it? More grip would be good. 

Any recommendations?

On 11/11/2021 at 23:32, paul125 said:

Ok thanks for the advice. Is a tyre upgrade normally worth it? More grip would be good. 

Any recommendations?

In my opinion, if you want more grip, then yes. But it depends on where you're running it for which type you'd need.

XT handles like rubbish compared to the MT on the field, and that's down to the tyre treads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone know the size of the centre shaft drive cup grub screw for the Flux XT?

Managed to strip one and had to butcher it to get it out, the cup is OK but not sure what size grub to buy (the parts diagram doesn't help!)

Thanks