• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Motor smoking. Stock 540 Tamiya

gunja99

Just had a great session with the viper and mad bull around the fields. Had to stop it short though as on 2nd 3000mAh NiMah the mad bull started smoking a lot! Was the motor. 

Now the car been in a friend's attic for 10 years. And he bought it second hand so it's old old. Batteries new, ESC new (hobbyeong 1060l and radio new. So is the motor old/dead or... I have a couple.of spare motors so not an issue, bit does this happen with old motors?

Are the rear wheels free turning or are they stiff? They could be old grease in the diff or it's a really tight mesh putting stress on the motor.
Could be dust inside getting burnt off.

Could be knackered. But a silver can 540 are pennies to replace

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gunja99 said:

Well it still working.

What's a good brushed motor replacement anyways for the 1/10 tamiyas rwd. Think both got 19t pinions on and can take 17. What does that do btw? Which speed and which torque? Both cars got 1060 brushed ESCs in

higher the tooth count higher gearing bigger gear = faster speed but less acceleration and more strain on motor just like our bikes :)

edit: i have used one of these in the viper with stock 17 tooth pinion https://www.motorsandrotors.co/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5378

just remember that is a nice speed upgrade but also more heat especially with the big lipos you have in it now, the motor is also rebuildable :)

stock motor is 27 turns.

edit: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric-motors/rc-car-categories/9920/992015&MSAttributeID[25]=575&MSAttributeID[27]=1080

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/smd-power-tuned-brushed-modified-motor-27-turn/rc-car-products/428009

that one looks decent for the money and same number of turns as the stock one, also rebuildable  :)

Edited by Yrkoon

36 minutes ago, Yrkoon said:

higher the tooth count higher gearing bigger gear = faster speed but less acceleration and more strain on motor just like our bikes :)

Me bike is cheap and new to that and not looked at ratios yet. Though the motor on my bike is a beast. It run everyday for 150 days on the trot now 🤣🤣🤣 5k minimum. 

Actually had a good ride today, only 40 miles, but followed it with a 10 mile run!

1 minute ago, gunja99 said:

Me bike is cheap and new to that and not looked at ratios yet. Though the motor on my bike is a beast. It run everyday for 150 days on the trot now 🤣🤣🤣 5k minimum. 

Actually had a good ride today, only 40 miles, but followed it with a 10 mile run!

hehe awesome not been on my bikes in a while, if your having probs with the motors overheating try the 17 tooth pinions, they wont go as fast but will be quicker of the mark with less strain on the motors :)

dang 40 miles and a 10 mile run, i would be total wrecked after just the 40 miles  :P

1 minute ago, Yrkoon said:

hehe awesome not been on my bikes in a while, if your having probs with the motors overheating try the 17 tooth pinions, they wont go as fast but will be quicker of the mark with less strain on the motors :)

dang 40 miles and a 10 mile run, i would be total wrecked after just the 40 miles  :P

Hah got me road bike on 20th June (so started cycling then) I've already done Beeston castle, cat and fiddle (up to Buxton) a fee 60 milers and 2 80 milers. As I say the motor on my bike good, me bike.... Well it'll do till next season hah

• Like 1

yeh m8 lower the pinion to 17 and it still gets hot but will be a lot cooler than a 19 tooth :P  i have never used higher than the 17 tooth one before on the viper.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rw-32-dp-pinion-17-teeth/rc-car-products/13777

it looks a lot different than the pic decent pinions :)

last month i was on my bikes but this month had a lung or something infection yay anti biotics, getting out of breath doing basic stuff lol

gonna stop vaping soon  :)

that is some immpressive cycling, what road bike u got? :)

23 hours ago, Yrkoon said:

edit: i have used one of these in the viper with stock 17 tooth pinion https://www.motorsandrotors.co/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5378

just remember that is a nice speed upgrade but also more heat especially with the big lipos you have in it now, the motor is also rebuildable :)

stock motor is 27 turns.

edit: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric-motors/rc-car-categories/9920/992015&MSAttributeID[25]=575&MSAttributeID[27]=1080

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/smd-power-tuned-brushed-modified-motor-27-turn/rc-car-products/428009

that one looks decent for the money and same number of turns as the stock one, also rebuildable  :)

Just looking at these motors. You rebuild, and... What does the fewer turns do to the performance, affect it etc? Miht be time to google and look into this. Also slightly annoyed the Lipo I got doesn't fit the mad bull. Got a boxy one (dremel'd the SV to fit it), but not an option on the mad bull, so time to order some more batteries, and maybe a couple of motors to try.

The NiMah used in the Mad Bull just don't seem to last as long as  in the SV, and boy it gets hot hot, just have to assume that the motor is old and useless. Might swap the motors over and see. Had a few great sessions today used around 25,000 mAh in total :)

lower the turns the faster it goes also uses more power 🍻

the motor may not be on way out it could just be overgeared i guess you can try a new motor but if it gets hot hot like old 1 lower the gearing :thumbsup:

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

lower the turns the faster it goes also uses more power 🍻

the motor may not be on way out it could just be overgeared i guess you can try a new motor but if it gets hot hot like old 1 lower the gearing :thumbsup:

I have 2 of the stock motors spare, so will try one of them or stick the tamiya torque one from the viper into the MB. So switching to the 17T pinion will be easier on the motor, got it ;) WIll order some 17T pinions, and probably some spare 19's too, as will probably need em!

That motor is probably 15+ years old now, sooo... 

• Like 2